Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ServU FTP Server Blocked

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked

In the ZA | Program Control | Main | Program Control slider, there is no medium or low setting?

ZA's malicious program popup also said what or included what else? What did it exactly say? Check the logs if you forgot.

You disable the Smart Defense advisor and this will let you control the popups instead of letting the ZA handle these automativcally. Once the Smart Defense if off, just close the ZA and then restart it to get the new setting into effect.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-22-2008 02:13 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Oldsod wrote:
    In the ZA | Program Control | Main | Program Control slider, there is no medium or low setting?

ZA's malicious program popup also said what or included what else? What did it exactly say? Check the logs if you forgot.

You disable the Smart Defense advisor and this will let you control the popups instead of letting the ZA handle these automativcally. Once the Smart Defense if off, just close the ZA and then restart it to get the new setting into effect.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-22-2008 02:13 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmm.. I was just wondering what Version of Serv-U he is using? Version 6 and 7 both have lots of Added Features..I use the Old FTP Serv-U (32-Bit) ver. 2.5i with WinXP ZASS 7.0.470.000, this version was by the original author Rob Becker, before he sold out to RhinoSoft.com
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

petergoode Guest

I am glad you have the patience to continue trying to get this to work.
    On my version of ZA, newly downloaded since I am trying it with a new XP tower, program control slider does not have medium, the options are max, auto, min, off
    The wording in the popup is:
    &quot;servudaemon is a malicious program and was prevented from running on your computer&quot;...
    &quot;servudaemon.exe has been blocked from creating a new process&quot;.
    I am getting the sense that ZA simply will not let this program run, no matter what I do.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled Serv-U, just for the heck of it, and now turning off program control does not prevent the server from going on line...the ports are still enabled, the server ip is still allowed...I am baffled.
    Turning off ZA still DOES allow the program to run.
    With smart defense off...still the same problem.
    ugh.
    pg

petergoode Guest

Version 4.1
    pg

Then set the Program Control slider to Min.

Make sure the OSFirewall tab has "Change which programs load at startup" set to Allow (change after running the ftp soft for a few weeks).

More than likley the ftp was initially blocked or denied and the ZA is still obeying that block or deny.

OK Do this and reset the ZA back to it's original state and then try the ftp (after first doing the mentioned settings and suggestions and your own setting adjustments for the ftp soft):
    [*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

petergoode Guest

That was a good idea...but...
    I essentially erased all the saved info in internet logs after safe mode booting, then rebooted, and even after making all the tweaks we had previously discussed, ZA still considers servudaemon.exe to be a bad player and shuts down the server.
    There is some hope on the horizon here, after failing to make progress, tech support will be arranging a phone call for me...the tech says he was able to get the ZA trial version to work with ServU, so there must be a solution.
    If so, you can rest assured I will post it, the least I can do to thank you for all the efforts.
    pg

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked_edited.

Please, do post this solution.
    It woulld will be very much appreciated.

Only thing I can think of is to some editing of the .xml files. And that would actually require me to be at your machine (without installing the ftp soft on my own PC). That is just about where I am now with a correct solution - kind of stuck.

You could edit the FWPRESETS.INI and add this (while in the safe mode):
    <hr>

[Servu FTP]
    App=servudaemon.exe
    Name=DNS Service
    Protocol=UDP
    RemotePort=53
    Direction=OutboundStream

Name=ServU FTP Activity
    Protocol=TCP
    RemotePort=21
    Direction=OutboundStream

Name=ServU FTP DATA Activity
    Protocol=TCP
    RemotePort=20
    Direction=InboundStream

<hr>

Now be aware I used servudaemon.exe and this may be the wrong .exe to use!

Next while still in the safe mode, open the windows directory and do a search for only .xml files and for servu.
    Open only the ZA .xml files using just the notepad.exe (not the IE) and remove any line concerning the servu. Remove any newly made space (from the deletion) to continue the previous continuity and keep all of the entries as before with no movement from their former places.
    Repeat again for servudaemon and for all of the other .exes of servu soft in the .xml file search, again just editing the ZA's .xml files .
    Ok the file changes.

Hopefully the reboot back into the normal mode will have the servu working.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-22-2008 08:26 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

petergoode Guest

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked_edited. (servudaemon.exe is the probable culprit)

I have reached the conclusion that ZA, and evidently many other firewall programs, are hardwired to not allow servudaemon.exe to run...it is listed as a trojan in a google search, and evidently there are no ZA program tweaks which allow it to run.
    The nice fellow from tech support WAS able to get the new Serv-U 7.0 to run with ZA on his system, but when we looked through the programs ZA was allowing, it was evident that Rhinosoft has changed the names since the old 4.1 version I was running.
    There is no longer a servudaemon.exe installed.
    I looked at pricing for a new Serv-U and thought it was a bit higher than I wanted to pay for something I do not use extraordinarily frequently...so, thanks to PC World and their recent compendium of free software, I installed FileZilla...and it's working great.
    Well, something new to be learned every day, I guess.
    Not sure if anyone else has or will run into this in the future, but if so, I guess this is the explanation.
    Thanks again for all the effort to solve this.
    Peter

Default Re: ServU FTP Server Blocked_edited. (servudaemon.exe is the probable culprit)

Thank you very much Peter for the news and the update.
    I suppose the ZA's .xml files could be edited to include the servudaemon.exe with the hash sums, but changing to filezilla is cheaper and easier.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>petergoode wrote:
    I have reached the conclusion that ZA, and evidently many other firewall programs, are hardwired to not allow servudaemon.exe to run...it is listed as a trojan in a google search, and evidently there are no ZA program tweaks which allow it to run.The nice fellow from tech support WAS able to get the new Serv-U 7.0 to run with ZA on his system, but when we looked through the programs ZA was allowing, it was evident that Rhinosoft has changed the names since the old 4.1 version I was running. There is no longer a servudaemon.exe installed.I looked at pricing for a new Serv-U and thought it was a bit higher than I wanted to pay for something I do not use extraordinarily frequently...so, thanks to PC World and their recent compendium of free software, I installed FileZilla...and it's working great.Well, something new to be learned every day, I guess.Not sure if anyone else has or will run into this in the future, but if so, I guess this is the explanation.Thanks again for all the effort to solve this.Peter
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your Feedback on ServU..You are probably right about "servudaemon.exe ", I just ran a Search for that file on my WinXP SP2 box with Serv-U 2.5i by CatSoft.com which has worked fine with ZASS for many years and did not find "servudaemon.exe" on my computer..was your version 4 by Dearfield Comunications, or RhinoSoft? problems with that added file in Version 4 is probably whi it is not in Version 7?
    Good luck with FileZilla..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949439536
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3755
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security