Thread: Configuring length of time flags stay visible

whatnow Guest

Default Configuring length of time flags stay visible

I have my ZAISS set up to notify me with flags when a privacy violation or other security issue arises. The problem is that the tag or flag that ZAISS displays doesn't stay on long enough for me to respond sometimes. I can't find a setting that lets me control the length of display times of these flags. Also I some times will get multiple privacy flags, but rather than all of them being displayed and allowing me to deal with them, I get one flag that changes to the next issue as soon as each issue comes up. I've seen as many as 5 issues get flagged but they don't stay on long enough to find out what is triggering the flag so I don't know what I need to do to deal with them. As I result I have to play guessing games to figure out which websites are causing which issues to be triggered. I need to know this as there are websites that try to put items on my computer that I don't want but at the same time there are other websites that are being blocked that I want to have access. ZAISS appears to not have any intellegent way of doing this automatically like it does for internet and program firewall settings. I need help with this or ZAISS needs some major changes to the way it works and is configured when dealing with privacy issues.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Configuring length of time flags stay visible

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Whatnow wrote:
    I have my ZAISS set up to notify me with flags when a privacy violation or other security issue arises. The problem is that the tag or flag that ZAISS displays doesn't stay on long enough for me to respond sometimes. I can't find a setting that lets me control the length of display times of these flags. Also I some times will get multiple privacy flags, but rather than all of them being displayed and allowing me to deal with them, I get one flag that changes to the next issue as soon as each issue comes up. I've seen as many as 5 issues get flagged but they don't stay on long enough to find out what is triggering the flag so I don't know what I need to do to deal with them. As I result I have to play guessing games to figure out which websites are causing which issues to be triggered. I need to know this as there are websites that try to put items on my computer that I don't want but at the same time there are other websites that are being blocked that I want to have access. ZAISS appears to not have any intelligent way of doing this automatically like it does for internet and program firewall settings. I need help with this or ZAISS needs some major changes to the way it works and is configured when dealing with privacy issues.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..1.) I've searched the ZA Control Menu and AFAIK, there is no Length of duration Time control for the Alerts..2.) "which websites are causing which issues to be triggered", the PRIVACY option and "Site-List"in the ZASS,controls and regulates what access each Web-Site that visit have..

3.) "at the same time there are other websites that are being blocked that I want to have access." this too is controlled in ZASS by the Privacy Site-List option..located on the main menu on the lower left side of ZASS..

4.)Please read this Forum Link... http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145

5.) " I need help with this or ZAISS needs some major changes to the way it works and is configured when dealing with privacy issues." Please read # 2 &amp; # 3 above..6.) This is a User Forum, Not Tech Support or Customer Service Forum.. there are separate Web-Links for those two Services.www.zonealarm.com/csform - Customer Service or Click on the Chat Icon at the Bottom of this messagewww.zonealarm.com/tsform - ZA Tech Support (Free to ZA Users with Valid License Key)We are all Users here in this Forum, No Checkpoint employee's or Staff Monitor this User Forum..Please don't Jump to the Wrong conclusion..There are Over 60 Million Users of ZoneAlarm world Wide.. and Very Few People ever log onto a Support Forum to say how Great the Program is, This Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction..
    Please post back with your Progress Report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950611682
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3845
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 05-09-2008 03:43 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

whatnow Guest

Hey George
    Thank you for responding. Sorry if I sounded a little angry in my post. This is not my first time here and I have been a custom of Zone Alarm long before Check Point Software bought them out. First version I used was 2.5 so that should give you some idea of how long I've been around. Getting support and help used to be easy, but since Check Point bought Zone Alarm, the tech support has become next to nothing. In fact I didn't even have a tech support contact until you gave me one. I went to the website and left the same message and will wait to see if anyone responds back.

I have always found Zone Alarm and now Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite to be good products, but lately the product seems to be over zealous in it's approach with out giving full control of it's operation to the user. I realize that most of the users of ZA products may not be interested in this control and would rather that it do all the work. That's fine except for user like my self who need to know what's happening and to be able to control it. I'm finding the internet becoming more and more less friendly, not just from the hacker, but also from the so called legitimate sites. Everyone wants to put his/her little piece of software on my computer and with out my knowledge. I've learned over the years the the legitimate websites can mess up a person's computer just as much as the hackers. That may sound paranoid, but I have had to rebuild my system way to many times to trust anyone. And I've been at this many years now. I started using computers in 1969 and accessing the internet in 1988. I have used just about every OS that Microsoft has come out with including DOS. My first experience with a computer after school was with company built system based on the old Multibus System Board running with an 8080 CPU and running the CP/M OS. So you can see I'm an old timer when it comes to computers. I keep finding the every new OS and piece of application software that comes out is less user friendly towards those who want to keep control of things themselves. This is frustrating to me and makes me feel like the only choice I have is to use what's available and shut up or write my own software which is a major pain these days. And of course going in and modifying any one else's software to meet one's needs is considered a major no no. So here I am trying to find some one, anyone who can provide help or a suggestion on how to deal with each problem that arises that I have not figured out a solution to myself.
    The ZA warning flag thing is one of those things that has been bugging me for some time now. Some times ZA will put up the big flag about some attempted intrusion in to my computer or about a program that wants to run is blocked from running. These flags stay there and I'm able to investigate what is going on and fix it. Other times, usually associated with the Privacy controls I will get a little flag that pops up for about 5 seconds. I timed it one time to find out how long I have to respond. Some times I get to it quickly enough and the Privacy Panel comes up and I can determine what the issue is and deal with it. Other times I can't get to it quickly enough and was left wondering what happened. I finally figured out that I could reload/refresh the page (some times I would have to go the previous page that link to the offending page and re-click the link) and then try to click on the flag as soon as it appears. This works most of the time, but is a real pain when I run into pages that cause this behavior a lot. This is happening a lot lately because I learned that many of the websites are getting around the pop up blocker by using Java Scripts. So now I have had to turn on the Mobile Code Blocking (full blocking on all four items) and then decide which websites are allowed to run Java on my computer. This has fixed the problem with pop ups and other unwanted activity, but means that I am getting a lot of privacy flags. That would be fine if the flags would stay up longer than 5 seconds. Other programs that I use that have similar features allow the control of the length of time the flag is visible. ZA ZAISS are the only ones I have run into that don't. Which is becoming a major point of frustration for me.

I hope that this explains where I'm coming from and why.

Thank You for your Feedback..Like you I got my start in Computer way back in 1966 on an old Spery Univac Main Frame Computer, it looked like something out of a Back &amp; White SCIFI Movie.. :-)Basic, Cobal, SimScript, MachineCode, CP/M, and how to Read the Punch Code on 80 Column IBM Punch Cards without the Printing on them.. came in handy when you dropped a 500 card block of cards and having to sort them back into the right order before placing them into the Computer card reader? &lt;grin&gt; I learned 6 different versions of DOS when I bought one of the First radio Shack16kModel I computer with an 8080 CPUand a300 buard rate Acustical Coupled External modem and a slow Casset Tape drive drive Storage that took a hour to record or load a 24 K program or data file, an additional expansion module $500.00 with 32 K of ram and an interface card for a360K single sided 5.25 Floppy drive another $500.00 that quickly got out of alignment if you moved it or sneezed on it.. &lt;grin&gt; those were the days.. I went thru a dozen different incarnations of PC's and UR Robotics Modems and Burned out or wore out 30 or fourty early Hard drives, 5MB, 10 MB, 20MB, 40, 80, 120, 300mb, 1 GB, 2 GB, 6Gb, 20 GB 80 GB, 320 Gb, 500GB..back in the 1980-1990, I ran my own Public BBS Buletin Board System and File server for 18 Years before there was any Public Access to the Internet..Please Contact ZA Tech Support at www.zonealarm.com/tsform and contribute your suggestion and reasoning for a new feature for ZASS to allow for the Configuration on the Time Display of alerts.. you suggestion may make it into the next ZASS Release?Please post back with your progress Report..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.473.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.473.000
    Driver version:7.0.473.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:950611682
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3845
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security