ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.248.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:951468214
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3915
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    I have been "fiddling" around with program settings and have got into a bit of a mess. To start again can I just delete all the programs listed and allow DefenseAdvisor to set up everything again from scratch?? Are there any problems with following this route??
    Can I use Reset (hold down Ctrl & Shift keys together-right click on ZA Icon-choose reset) to achieve the same thing. Does Reset just return ZA to just installed mode?? Would I lose virus/spyware updates since install?? Would I lose program updates since the install?? Are there any particular traps/downsides to using Reset. Most of my Za settings are the default settings.
    Many thanks for your help.

Default Re: Reconfiguring Program Settings

<blockquote><hr>dogdog wrote:
    Can I use Reset (hold down Ctrl & Shift keys together-right click on ZA Icon-choose reset) to achieve the same thing. Does Reset just return ZA to just installed mode?? Would I lose virus/spyware updates since install?? Would I lose program updates since the install?? Are there any particular traps/downsides to using Reset. Most of my Za settings are the default settings. Many thanks for your help.
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes you can, you will loose all your ZA custom settings, it will be like you start from when you initially installed the latest ZA version (but with a clean install, i.e. no previous settings kept) or so called factory settings. You will need to manual update AV/AS definitions (I think) that, unless you are on slow connection, it should be not a problem. Obviously reset cannot undo program updates. Program updates (462, 470, 473, etc) can only be removed via the add/remove programs or while doing an upgrade/new install.

Traps/downsides? yes, loosing ALL your ZA settings. IP you have added, sites in the privacy tab, firewall expert rules, etc...

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thanks
    Do you mean that I will lose AV/Spyware updates done since original install??

What about just deleting program list?

tasman Guest

dogdog, You can delete the items in the program list by highlighting them and delete them. They will re-populate as you use the program

Tasman

Have noticed some puzzling features regarding program permissions, viz:
    First-re: ScanningProcess.exe with DefenseAdvisor set to manual:

1) Why does DefenseAdvisor not produce advice if ScanningProcess.exe is a ZA program??

2) What does this program (ScanningProcess.exe) actually do??

3) Why does ScanningProcess.exe need access to the internet??

If DefenseAdvisor is set to manual and recommendation is set to allow, then if permission is granted and remembered then level of trust is set at&quot;?&quot; but for same program with DefenseAdvisor set to automatic trust level of &quot;|||&quot; is given for the same program. Example is svchost.exe (Host Process for Windows Services). Why should this occur??

If DefenseAdvisor is set to manual and recommendation is set to allow, then if permission is granted and remembered smart defense is set at &quot;auto&quot;. If this is done and ZA amends its standard permissions for this program will change be made automatically as setting for program is &quot;auto&quot;??

Many thanks

Also - what is the significance if trust level is set to&quot;| | |&quot; but all the permissions are set to &quot;X&quot;.? Does this actually achieve anything??

Hi!SmartDefense relates to suspicious activities on your system (registry changes, injecting code into other executables, addind services or startup itemsto your system, etc) while the rest relates to network connections (within your system, to the internet, etc...)Have you downloaded the ZA 7 manual? You will find a lot of useful information and guidance on the different options, features and troubleshooting of ZA.Here:http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...ser_manual.pdfCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information