Thread: How to override parental control setting.

wstern Guest

Default How to override parental control setting.

Hi,

I have ZAISS 7. I prefer to keep Parental Control always turned on - even for adults.
    It prevents inadvertantely going to sites which usually contain viruses / trojan horses.
    For example, a lot of free music sites on the web actually contain trojans/viruses.

So, using Parental Control, I set it to block MP3 / Streaming.
    But there are some safe MP3 / Streaming sites (Like www.youtube.com) which I would like to allow.

So, I set up an Expert firewall rule to allow www.youtube.com. I tested the rule and it works.
    Then I set Parental Control to block MP3 / Streaming.

I was hoping ZAISS7 with allow Expert Firewall Rules to override Parental Control, but it doesn't.

Fax, Oldsod, other Gurus - Do you know of a way to accomplish this - To allow www.youtube.com, but to block all other MP3 / Streaming?

Thanks,

Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: How to override parental control setting.

<blockquote><hr>wstern wrote:
    Hi,

I have ZAISS 7. I prefer to keep Parental Control always turned on - even for adults.
    It prevents inadvertantely going to sites which usually contain viruses / trojan horses.
    For example, a lot of free music sites on the web actually contain trojans/viruses.

So, using Parental Control, I set it to block MP3 / Streaming.
    But there are some safe MP3 / Streaming sites (Like www.youtube.com) which I would like to allow.

So, I set up an Expert firewall rule to allow www.youtube.com. I tested the rule and it works.
    Then I set Parental Control to block MP3 / Streaming.

I was hoping ZAISS7 with allow Expert Firewall Rules to override Parental Control, but it doesn't.

Fax, Oldsod, other Gurus - Do you know of a way to accomplish this - To allow www.youtube.com, but to block all other MP3 / Streaming?

Thanks,

Bill

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Bill

I don't use the ZASS or the privacy of the ZA , so the parental controls are really outside of my knowledge. I really can't advise on any hacks or tweaks of files. But basically the parental control is all or nothing in terms of configurations. The parental controls operate seperately from the Privacy.

The method I use to control unwanted videos or flash (.swf) is just by dis-allowing the javascripts globally and allowing javascripts just for particular desired sites.
    Animated GIF/SVG, sounds in the web pages, certain site interactions and Flash all require or depend on javascripts. Even some ads blocked by the ZA use javascripts and blocking ads can inadvertantly block wanted scripts needed for certain site content (sometime it does backfire).

Blocking the javascripts will prevent many troyans/malware infections from an un-safe sites and almost any cross-site scripting exploits and malware infections from banners/ads/.swf/third party sites and even webbugs.
    Block javascripts and activeX and iframes and any browsing/web experience or session will become relatively safe and secure.

My advice is to allow only the javascripts for wanted sites and then block it completely for any other sites, in the Privacy of the ZA. And then use the Privacy to control the flash and notwith the Parental Control for controlling the flash/video.
    When I did use the Privacy, I found when using a fresh install or settings to first visit all of the needed sites, with all allowed in the Privacy. Then set the privacy to basically block everything.
    The needed sites - logins, home pages, web email, youtube, forums, usual safe download sites, online scanners, windows updates, application update sites, etc.
    The rest - block everything and only adjust as needed when needed (sometimes with a little experimentation needed to get things to work without letting too much in for some sites).<hr>

You could work around the ZA and instead use custom .css and javascript files for browser (such as Firefox or Opera). Or use block files. These can be used to block particular scripts and page content, and can be very customizable. This approach can be a little complicated, but it is fun and a learning experience.

To give you an idea what some web pages look like for me (without using either the Privacy and Parental Blocker of the ZA). This is with a custom .css and .js for the browser, a custom urlfilter.ini for the browser (and a desktop web proxy for additional filtering):

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=18576

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 05-26-2008 09:49 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi Oldsod,

Thank you for your response. I would hope ZA adds a Parental Control Exception list in a future release.
    I appreciate your suggestions about blocking java scripts. I'm experimenting with that now.

Thanks again,

Bill

markmorgan Guest

I'm hoping for a way to do this in a future release also!
    You also get other bizarre ones like Flickr being classed as Hacking / Proxy Avoidance.
    Then again, I've come across numerous networking / programming / technical websites classed as 'Hacking' so I usually switch it off and would like to add the well known Social Networking proxies to the block list.
    ZASS has parental control software supplied by BlueCoat.
    They give away free K9 Web Protection software (http://www.k9webprotection.com/)
    that does have an exception and additional block lists but I believe there are conflict issues with ZA.
    The other problem I find is that the categories implemented by ZA do not match the category list used by BlueCoat.
    For instance there is a category for 'Social Networking' websites but not in ZA.
    My other somewhat bigger problem is that it has disappeared from the Vista version of ZASS 7.1.
    Mark.

Thread Information