Thread: settings for Java , script, mime

grandmere Guest

Default settings for Java , script, mime

What are the safest settings for Java, Java scripts , mime?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: settings for Java , script, mime

Off
    Turn your alerts on, they'll be helpful.
    Then shut java scripts and mime and third party cookies and all that stuff to off except for the sites you very trust.
    If an alert appears, quickly click on it to see the details.
    Then, on a site-by-site basis you can tweak the settings on the privacy sites list.
    Mime will need to be enabled when you want to download something.
    Java scripts will be needed for many websites for you to be able to click the links or buttons and thusly invite trouble as well
    Java - I'm not sure about that one, depends where it runs. My procedure is OFF if in doubt ("x" or "?" on Programs), ON if I must for doing what I want.

Many people will tell you here to just ignore all that privacy stuff (by disabling it altogether), and do it in the browser if it's not IE. But you can do both.
    If for no other reason than to watch what these sites do and learn from it

Like when you're trying to download a well known program, the alert will tell you what was blocked (mime), so you go in a change that after couple tries

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 08-18-2008 11:23 PM

grandmere Guest

Default Re: settings for Java , script, mime

Thank you for your help , I'll follow your advice on the settings. However, even though I have my alert privacy "on" when I click to analyse, the box goes off the screen . I have a problem with the Help feature when I click on it I get a dialog box : help is unavailable . I have a purchased Za suite. I've given up on getting help even through Za support tried.
    ZA ,as simple as it seems to many people is not user friendly for seniors with a minimum of knowledge. I wonder if they'll run out of acronyms , nah... Thank goodness for the Forum and some web sites dealing with some of the problems I have encountered. Thank you again.

Thread Information