Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Defense Advisor

Default Smart Defense Advisor

I am using Vista Ultimate and Zone Alarm Security Suite v 8.0.020.000 (just upgraded from v 7.1). My Zass details are:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.020.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.020.000
    Driver version:8.0.020.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:958874586
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200809.4555
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    I have Program Control set to "maximum" and SmartDefense Advisor set to "Automatic" yet I continue to get alerts for what ought to be standard approved programs (eg Outlook) - there being no recommendation from SmartDefense Advisor. Clearly this should not be happening and SmartDefense Advisor should be configuring program permissions without creating an alert.
    Can you advise why SmatDefense Advisor is not working as it should??

Default Re: Smart Defense Advisor

Hi!I see here (VISTA + ZASS 8) that outlook 2007/2003 is recognised and given automatic settings.May be something wrong with your settings or using other security tools that alter hooking and get ZA into trouble?Do you use any other security tool? If not, it may be simply that your ZA settings are corrupted.First try to remove Outlook from ZA program list and check next time you open outlook if ZA assign automatic settings toit.If not try to reset them. You should know the procedure.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Only other security tool that I use that is resident is Tea Timer - part of Spybot S&D - do you know if this causes interaction problems with ZASS??
    Tried removing Outlook and reopening but SmartDefense Advisor still did not work.
    By "reset" did you mean reset option from tray icon when ctrl and upper up arrow are depressed??
    Does this reset option just restore all ZASS defaults to as for a clean installation?? Does it leave anti-virus and anti-spyware definitions in place??

Hi!yes, Tea Timer can conflict with ZASS. Actually, SpyBotS&D adds very little (if any) to ZASS.May be some harmless txt cookies and dead entries? Better to remove it. There are better free backup spyware tools.Your smartdefence does not works as it should. Probably a missconfiguration or corrupted settings.Do you play with programs settings? Trusted zones? etc..?Try to reset the ZA settings:1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootThis will bring back ZA as it was first installed. Including the AV/AS definitions.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-07-2008 01:47 PM

OK - thanks.
    What would you recommend as free backup spyware tools??

Just remembered - I also have SpywareBlaster - any problems with interactions with ZASS??

Hi!is spywareblaster using any permanent MS service or booting at startup?Its important that other security tools are completely disabled or running only 'on demand'.See the malware section on tools recommended.Cheers,Fax

Interesting that there were no problems with v 7.1??
    Cannot find malware section??

I do have other non resident but ther do have an MS Service eg Ad-Aware - any problems??

Hi!they can create problems in version 7.0, 7.1, etc... you actually don't see it.Malware section? In the board? Its called 'Malware discussion'Cheers,Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information