ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:963066437
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4795
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957

I keep getting a Zone Alarm Security Alert for SERVER PROGRAM - Host Process for Windows Services is trying to act as a server . The other information is:

Identification: None

Application: svchost.exe

Source IP: 0.0.0.0:Port 55695

(each time alert appeared the port was differently)

I have Program Control set to maximum and SmartDefense Advisor set to Automatic.

Under Program Control within the list of programs the settings for this program are as follows:

Host Process for Windows Services

System

|||

yes
    yes

yes

?

no

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe.exe

Clearly the ZA alert is generated as there is a ? in the column for Server/Internet. While I could change this setting there are two issues:

1)

Why is the ZA advice to generate a query??

2)

If I do change this setting, then System will become Custom and future ZA updates will not be automatically processed. Further, when such a change is made, ZASS strongly recommends that you do not change these settings.

I would appreciate your advice.

Default Re: ZA Alerts for svchost.exe

Just one additional point. I tried resetting ZASS but got to same place with same continuous pop up alerts.

zazen Guest

somewhere in the user manual it says something like "..when in doubt, deny unknown server requests.."
    this does work for me because the requesting program will either fail (and i'll know who/why) or it will ask again in which case i will also now know who/why.
    no harm in denying and seeing the consequences at least once.

you can always restart and allow next time.

~daniel~
    (5 year zone user.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>zazen wrote:
    somewhere in the user manual it says something like "..when in doubt, deny unknown server requests.."this does work for me because the requesting program will either fail (and i'll know who/why) or it will ask again in which case i will also now know who/why.no harm in denying and seeing the consequences at least once. you can always restart and allow next time. ~daniel~(5 year zone user.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>However, if you "Deny Accesst" to Parts of Windows XP or Vista, then you are Blocking Windows and ZoneAlarm from working..NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet accessand Send Mail all need Green check Marks..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:963402698
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200811.4835
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

What you say contradicts the automatic settings from ZASS for svchost.exe.

I have Program Control set to maximum and SmartDefense Advisor set to Automatic.

Under Program Control within the list of programs the settings for this program are as follows:

Host Process for Windows Services

System

|||

yes
    yes

yes

?

no

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe.exe

If I do change this setting, then System will become Custom and future ZA updates will not be automatically processed. Further, when such a change is made, ZASS strongly recommends that you do not change these settings.

Your thoughts??

I'm sorry you are confused by the ZA Learning Mode Process..SmartDefense Advisor set to Automatic. is Only for the first 21 days.. then ZA will Pop up an Alert that SmartDefense Advisor has done it's job and will shut down after the learning mode..---------------------------------------------"If I do change this setting, then System will become Custom and future ZA updates will not be automatically processed. Further, when such a change is made, ZASS strongly recommends that you do not change these settings.."This is Only Pertaining to the Learning Mode..Automatic Updates of the ZA Product is controlled separately by Overview/PreferenceAutomatic Updates of the AV/AS is controlled separately by AV/AS , Main Section, Advanced Option, Updates..
    GeorgeV

I am not confused. I am talking about updates to Program permissions (which are nothing to do with the Learning Mode, the ZASS Product Updates or the AV/AS definitions). From the outset Program Control has been set to &quot;Maximum&quot; and SmartDefense Advisor has been set to &quot;Automatic&quot;.
    If ZA changes the program permissions for a particular program, then SmartDefense Advisor updates these permission
    settings unless the permissions are &quot;custom&quot; (ie as long as the setting is &quot;auto&quot; or &quot;system&quot.
    Hence my original query still stands.

Please Contact ZA Tech Support with the full details of your problem at www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    GeorgeV

Thread Information