Thread: Os firewall

Hybrid View

sapphirel Guest

Default Os firewall

How do i change setting for my os firewall, all file writing is being blocked

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Os firewall

Click here > http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...d=54712#M54712
    &lt; you can also read the other posts by Oldsod<hr>Any particulars you wish to report?

sapphirel Guest

How do i change this setting?Description

Indexing Service filter daemon was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the file: WINSYSDIR\**bleep**.dat
    Rating

High
    Date / Time

2009-01-14 07:53:06-5:00
    Type

File
    Subtype

File Write
    Data

WINSYSDIR\**bleep**.dat
    Program

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    Action Taken
    Blocked (once)
    Count

Policy

Personal Policy
    Description

Indexing Service filter daemon was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the file: WINDIR\Internet Logs\ZALog.txt
    Rating

High
    Date / Time

2009-01-14 08:05:48-5:00
    Type

File
    Subtype

File Write
    Data

WINDIR\Internet Logs\ZALog.txt
    Program

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    Action Taken
    Blocked (once)
    Count

Policy

Personal Policy

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Os firewall-Indexing Service filter daemon

Indexing Service filter daemon\cidaemon.exe
    Under SmartDefense -Auto: will have three green bars, and the rest ' red X'<hr>What you can do - right click the program &gt; Options...&gt; click &quot;Allow Application Interaction&quot; check marked&gt; Apply &gt; OK.
    In addition you may wish to adjust ZA's Program control on to &quot;medium/ learning mode&quot; for a while. Program Control &gt; Main &gt; slider down from 'High' to Medium/Learning Mode<hr><hr>If you wish you may contact ZA tech support &gt; click here &gt;
    https://www.zonealarm.com/store/cont...ch_support.jsp
    - you may post back your findings

frankafuffel Guest

Have there been any other developments on this theme.
    I have the same situation where ZA Security Suite blocks Indexing Service Filter Daemon from writing to log files every time.
    I cannot find a way of changing ZA to allow it to write to file.
    I have given cidaemon.exe the highest trust level and have allowed program interaction.
    ZA has been on learning mode for months.
    There is nothing in the help files at all about allowing FileWrite and the 'More Info' links are as good as useless.

ZA Security Suite 8.0.298.000; Windows XP Professional.

And by the way, I do not like the colour scheme of the later versions of ZASS because you cannot tell which line in a list box you have selected.

If you have ZASS running for a month and still in learning mode..You and manually Turn off Learning mode..Here is the setting I recomend..1.) ZA Firewall, Main Section, Internet Security on High, Trusted Security on medium..2.) Program Control , Main Section Program Control = Max, SmartDefense = Auto..--------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980184522
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5515
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

suzecue Guest

Sometimes there's a reason why Zone Alarm doesn't allow
    one program access to a file and why the OS Firewall isn't such a bad thing.
    Never one to be outdone by any program or computer - I got the content indexing filter daemon service to write to the file it was trying to write to - IAMDB.RDB (it took a bit of maneuvering due to associated files and programs).
    Guess what?
    I could no longer open up the Alerts &amp; Logs module!
    When I tried accessing that menu, Zone Alarm Security Suite shutdown completely.
    Luckily, I had backed up my security settings prior to doing any of this so I just restored them.
    To decrease the number of alerts and/or the size of your log file, deselect the check(s) for OS Firewall under Alerts &amp; Logs, Main, Advanced, Alert Events.
    By the way, the content indexing filter daemon is a program that works with the Windows Search, which indexes all of your files, emails, etc on a constant basis.
    That's why there are so many alerts.
    I'm curious by nature so I needed to find out what was going on and if it should be writing to the file at all.
    Now I know = some things are better left alone.
    The RDB files should be left alone at all costs.
    Hope this helps someone else out!

(Win XP
    8.0 ZA Internet Security Suite)Suz

oldsmurph Guest

Question Re: Os firewall

We seem to have lost direction in this thread; I have a similar issue with ZA.

The log files appear to be bloated with entries reporting that the 'cidaemon.exe' file (The Indexing daemon) is trying to to write to ZA's Log files.

I would like to undetand why it is attempting this action?

... oldsmurph

Quote Originally Posted by naivemelody View Post
    Click here &gt; http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...d=54712#M54712
    &lt; you can also read the other posts by Oldsod<hr>Any particulars you wish to report?

I don't find it useful to have the indexing service index the contents of the ZA files, so I have excluded the C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder from the catalog (you can do that easily, the following is for XP (don't have Vista or Win 7, but it should be similar):
    1. Right click My computer, click manage
    2. In the computer management window that opens, click on the + next to Services and applications
    3. right click on Indexing service and click stop. then click on the + next to indexing service.
    4. You will probably just have the one catalog called system: click on the + next to that (or if you have set up other catalogs select the one that is indexing C:\Windows).
    5. Click on directories.
    6. In the right pane right click, click new, click on Directory. Browse to point to the pathy of the Internet log folder. Under Include in Index, select No, click OK
    7. Right click on indexing service click start.

You might also want to do a manual rescan of the catalog to remove previous inexing of the \Internet logs folder. To do that, click again on the Directories folder click on C:\Windows, or if that is not listed, click on C:\, then in Action menu, click on all tasks, rescan (full)

Thread Information