Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Settings for Settings for "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"

jyste Guest

Default Re: Settings for Settings for "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"

Thanks to both of you. I really appreciate your help.
    I have now removed some obsolete anti-spywary programs, scanned with MBAM (no malware found) and AntiSpyware ( a few tracking cookies removed).I
    have completely re-installed ZoneAlarm which is now in "Learning mode". But the settings for "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" are still the same:
    SmartDefence

TrustLevel

Access

Server

SendMail
    Auto

3 bars

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No
    I think I will just leave it till the learning period is over since it does not seem to give any problems.
    I hva caught a virus (myself, not the computer) and since that is not so easy to remove, I will stay in bed for some days.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jyste wrote:
    SmartDefence TrustLevel Access Server SendMailAuto3 bars Yes YesYesYes No
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Weird, SmartDefence should say 'SYSTEM' and not 'AUTO'...I have checked on XP and can't see any AUTO for svchost.exeI will check in VISTA but I am afraid something is happening on your system that I cannot really understand....Have you tried the latest version of ZASS?Here: www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/When asked by the installer select 'clean install'.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jyste Guest

I got the newest version yesterday (version 8.0.059.000) and used default settings all through. I absolutely did select &quot;clean install&quot;.
    I do not claim to understand how it all works, but we were 2 persons checking every step.
    Should I keep the MBAM malware detector or is that one of the programs that does not coexist with ZA?
    (I have uninstalled the program but can easily get hold of it again).
    I thought to wait 3 weeks until ZA go off &quot;learning mode&quot; and then see what happens.

Hi!I mean the new 8.0.298.000 version...Changes have been applied to the SmartDefence part.Cheers,Fax

jyste Guest

Hi again
    I didn't know about any new version. Normally I am informed by ZA when new version are released, or I find them using &quot;check for updates&quot;.Is it a beta-version?
    Is it tested?
    Can I install &quot;on top&quot; of the old, or should I uninstall first?
    I suppose I can go back to the old one if anything bad happens?
    Thanks again,jyste

Hi!you can install on top, but once asked choose 'clean install' and NOT 'upgrade' (lets see if you get SYSTEM under svchost!)Cheers,Fax

jyste Guest

Hi!
    I have now installed on top with 'clean install' and have updated AntiVirus and AntiSpyware.
    But I still have AUTO. The settings are now,
    just after install (and a reboot):
    SmartDefence

TrustLevel

Access

Server

SendMail
    Auto

3 bars

Yes

Yes

Yes

?

No
    Maybe I should explain my configuration:I am connected to internet via cable (same as for TV). To logon internet I must:1.
    Open explorer, which then shows a logon/logout formula2.
    Fill out my name and password and send.
    I can then surf on the internet, send/receive mail etc.
    When I finish, I go to the first page again and logout.
    Right now I have 4 versions of svchost.exe running. 2 are SYSTEM, 1 is LOCAL SERVICE and 1 is NETWORK SERVICE.
    Greetings, jyste

Hi!could you please select svchost.exe in ZA program control then right click with the mouse in the box named as 'entry detail' (at the bottom of the window) --&gt; select 'copy' --&gt; paste it here.... may be we are talking about a different file :8}Cheers,Fax

jyste Guest

Hi!
    Product name

Microsoft
    Windows
    Operating System
    File name

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    Last policy update
    Not applicable
    Version

5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)
    Last modified date
    14-04-2008 17:06:04
    File size

14 KB
    Looks OK?
    - And I need cheering up!
    My Windows is not an English version, so maybe my translations (from Joblist) was incorrect.
    Thanks, jyste

**bleep** X-( ... it looks good! Size and version corresponds to the right file.Cheers,Fax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information