Thread: I need Help! 8.0.298.00 is blocking too much

goldsuntree Guest

Default I need Help! 8.0.298.00 is blocking too much

I upgraded the Zone Alarm Pro (the one with just spyware dection) from vs 7 something to the latest version

Now I have the firewall blocking stuff i dont want blocked, but not sure i need to add it to the trust list?

For example, When I listen to a live stream such as this: stream.xxx.com using either VLC or Winamp the stream works for about 1-2 min then the firewall blocks it! So i have to hit stop and start again to get it to start a new live stream. This is the orange firewall message:
    Stream.xxx.com has been blocked port tcp(xxxx) 208.xx.xxx.xxx (Http TCP Flags A) Program VLC.EXE

Thats one of them
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another one i get is Generic Host blocking stuff such as DNS servers etc.

Program: Generic Host Process for Win 32 Blocked(208.xx.xxx.xxx)(DNS)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And this too

Program: Generic Host Process for win 32 Services blocked resolver1.opendns.com (208.67.222.222) DNS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to fix this?

tnx

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by goldsuntree on 04-04-2009 04:17 PM

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: I need Help! 8.0.298.00 is blocking too much

In ZA program control - VLC or Winamp - does it have three green bars= super trust level, Access - two green checks, Server - one or two green checks (when your using these programs to stream) or &quot; ? ? &quot;These are a few programs that do require 'server' access; click here &gt; http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...d=84776#M24892Open the programs watch ZA program control - see which programs have green dots/ active and give more allowances.- In some cases with 'streaming media' - you can try putting ZA Firewall &gt; Internet Zone Security - change from &quot;High&quot; &gt; to 'Medium' temporarily while you are streaming; return back to 'high' when done.<hr>When you get ZA alerts, you may get the option to 'block or allow' &gt; allow for these programs when alerts come in; also check in ZA Alerts &amp; Logs - check the logs, see the blocks, now you can change it to 'allow' - make 'expert firewall' rules. Right click ZA tray icon see &quot;Help&quot; = this is your User Guide - this will explain all the settings, customizations, troubleshooting, etc. Please read thru.<hr>Another possible block - is in Privacy Protection, the cookies, ads, mobile code will often be the cause of such denial of access/ blocks. You can 'temporarily'shut-off all of these in privacy protection, also check in SiteList - see if there are any blocks for these sites/ programs, you can also shut this off.<hr>Generic host - click here &gt; http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...id=84798#M5407<hr>

PS - please do not list your email address. Sign-in &gt; go to original post &gt; thread options &gt; edit &gt; remove your email address.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-12-2009 11:49 PM

goldsuntree Guest

I found out that the problem is that with the new upgrade you can no longer block Internet servers(in the Firewall---Main---Advanced tab area).........I used to be able to check mark this to block and didnt have any connection issues with the good programs from connecting etc....But with the upgrade you cannot have this box checked, otherwise your connection with whatever application you are using tends to time out and gets cut, after a few min. This is why i had to keep starting and stoping the Winamp program when listening to radio programs....I found though that you can set in the (Program Control----Programs-- Internet Server)a red x to block the application from acting as a sever, so there are no worries about programs acting as servers you dont want be acting as servers. But before i just used the other way to block all internet servers...

Any--how I did have some major problems with trying to install ZA-PRO(Without the Anti-virus) with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8 (8.00.506) When i first installed the ZA pro Client and then tried to install Kaspersky it said that ZA-Pro needed to be un-installed in order to continue installation...

My question is there a way around this to get both the Best Firewall product ZA and the best Anti-virus Kaspersky.
    to work together?

If not is there another alternative to Zone-alarm which will work with Kaskpersky or are users just using the Kaspersky Internet Security Suite using Kaspersky's Firewall?

Thanks

<blockquote><hr>goldsuntree wrote:
    I upgraded the Zone Alarm Pro (the one with just spyware dection) from vs 7 something to the latest version

Now I have the firewall blocking stuff i dont want blocked, but not sure i need to add it to the trust list?

For example, When I listen to a live stream such as this: stream.xxx.com using either VLC or Winamp the stream works for about 1-2 min then the firewall blocks it! So i have to hit stop and start again to get it to start a new live stream. This is the orange firewall message:
    Stream.xxx.com has been blocked port tcp(xxxx) 208.xx.xxx.xxx (Http TCP Flags A) Program VLC.EXE

Thats one of them
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another one i get is Generic Host blocking stuff such as DNS servers etc.

Program: Generic Host Process for Win 32 Blocked(208.xx.xxx.xxx)(DNS)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And this too

Program: Generic Host Process for win 32 Services blocked resolver1.opendns.com (208.67.222.222) DNS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to fix this?

tnx

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by goldsuntree on 04-04-2009 04:17 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

The internet servers can be blocked for many things without any issues, but the ZA should be configured properly... ie ...the opendns servers should be in the trusted zone in the zones of the firewall of the za.

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.
    6. The Trusted slider should be at the middle level.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Very often players can need internet server not just trusted server rights (along with trusted access and internet access).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<blockquote><hr>goldsuntree wrote:
    I found out that the problem is that with the new upgrade you can no longer block Internet servers(in the Firewall---Main---Advanced tab area).........I used to be able to check mark this to block and didnt have any connection issues with the good programs from connecting etc....But with the upgrade you cannot have this box checked, otherwise your connection with whatever application you are using tends to time out and gets cut, after a few min. This is why i had to keep starting and stoping the Winamp program when listening to radio programs....I found though that you can set in the (Program Control----Programs-- Internet Server)a red x to block the application from acting as a sever, so there are no worries about programs acting as servers you dont want be acting as servers. But before i just used the other way to block all internet servers...

Any--how I did have some major problems with trying to install ZA-PRO(Without the Anti-virus) with Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8 (8.00.506) When i first installed the ZA pro Client and then tried to install Kaspersky it said that ZA-Pro needed to be un-installed in order to continue installation...

My question is there a way around this to get both the Best Firewall product ZA and the best Anti-virus Kaspersky.
    to work together?

If not is there another alternative to Zone-alarm which will work with Kaskpersky or are users just using the Kaspersky Internet Security Suite using Kaspersky's Firewall?

Thanks
    <hr></blockquote>

Questionable if kaspesky is the best antivirus, I would say the antivirus that I use is the best and it is not kaspersky.. but anyhow....uninstall the ZA, and then install your KAV and then re-install the ZA Pro... and make sure the zlclient.exe and the vsmon.exe are set in the trusted zone in the kaspersky (if that is still done anymore, been a while since I used any KAV).

See other reply for some advice on the block internet server issue.

Oldsod.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information