Thread: Should Antivirus Programs Be Given Super Trust Level in Program Control?

hys Guest

Default Should Antivirus Programs Be Given Super Trust Level in Program Control?

I have an older (v. 6) version of ZA Pro. Thought I could find this by searching, but haven't:

Should established antivirus programs routinely be given Super (three green bars) trust level? And how about server permissions (trusted and access)?

That's my main question, but I'll also throw a few general program control questions in case anyone has input:

First, I've never understood whether or not Smart Defense Advisor is a program-resident database which is automatically updated regularly. If it is, am I correct in assuming that my installation of ZAP is using outdated Smart Defense information since my license expired quite awhile ago? If so, is there a way to subscribe to Smart Defense updates without upgrading to a later version of ZAP?

Finally, my version of ZAP has only the choices System and Custom for components it identifies as system components, instead of Automatic and Custom. Is System basically the same as Automatic for these programs?

Again, while I'd appreciate input on any of these questions, my most pressing issue is the first one, about whether antivirus programs should be granted Super trust and any server rights. Fyi, my new AV is ESET NOD 32 v4.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.1
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Should Antivirus Programs Be Given Super Trust Level in Program Control?

Yes, if you have a valid trusted anti-virus - granting super trust level is acceptable.Access - two green checks.
    Server - "
    ?
    ? " ,
    &lt; there is some selective settings. For example if you find your av updater does not work with Server - (trust) = &quot; ? &quot; you may need a green check.Mail - &quot; ? &quot;<hr>Smart Defense Advisor - once you expired - I believe your Advisor does not update(adjusted by ZA) that's why you don't see 'automatic' anymore. 'System' = is to signify a system service; that should exist and be allowed. 'Auto' = is an adjustment made by ZA Advisor. (you can of course customize).<hr>Finally, if you choose to have the 'recommendations' of Advisor/ updated &gt; 'Automatic' - you can in fact 'purchase' / continue your subscription and &quot;keep&quot; the older version ZA firewall. Just put product updates to manual and remember not to allow ZA to persuade you to upgrade.Otherwise, if you are rather savy, you can continue 'as is.'

hys Guest

Default Re: Should Antivirus Programs Be Given Super Trust Level in Program Control?

Thanks for those thorough, really helpful replies!!

Thread Information