Thread: Firewall (Pings)

louiserhk Guest

Default Firewall (Pings)

I have Zone Alarm security set to its highest setting.
    Internet Zone is at Medium.
    I did the custom button and put checkmarks in all the block ping items.
    Did a GRC Shields UP test and still getting a Failed test for Pings.
    Am I at risk?
    If so, how do I correct this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Firewall (Pings)

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>LOUISERHK wrote:
    I have Zone Alarm security set to its highest setting.Internet Zone is at Medium. I did the custom button and put checkmarks in all the block ping items.Did a GRC Shields UP test and still getting a Failed test for Pings.Am I at risk? If so, how do I correct this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Recomended SettingsInternet Security Zone = HighTrusted Security Zone = Medium
    Program Control = MaximumSmartDefense = Auto--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:982411735
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5725
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

If you are behind a Broadband Router you can also Block WAN Ping to not respond to ping commands.

louiserhk Guest

George, I do not have SP 3, does this make a difference?
    I am also using Version 7.0 of ZL.
    I did not upgrade because I read so many problems other people were having with it.
    I will check out Program control and Smart Defense.
    Second response - &quot;If you are behind a broadband router you can also block WAN ping to not respond to ping commands.&quot;
    Just last week I got DSL after 10 yrs. with dial-up.
    I have a new modem that has a firewall, but I have no idea how to block anything.
    I checked out my ISP web-site about the modem, but could not find anything about blocking ping.

Charles_B Guest

Many routers are reached by either the Web address &quot;http://192.168.1.1&quot; or &quot;http://192.168.0.1&quot; Consult your router's documentation to determine the exact address for your model.You should contact your ISP to assit you in setup or Google router model for more info.

Have a good evening.

George, I do not have SP 3, does this make a difference? I am also using Version 7.0 of ZL. I did not upgrade because I read so many problems other people were having with it. I will check out Program control and Smart Defense.Second response - "If you are behind a broadband router you can also block WAN ping to not respond to ping commands." Just last week I got DSL after 10 yrs. with dial-up. I have a new modem that has a firewall, but I have no idea how to block anything. I checked out my ISP web-site about the modem, but could not find anything about blocking ping.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>1.) ZoneAlarm 7.0 Runs Fine on WinXP SP2..2.) before Upgrading to ZA 8.0, I would suggest your Upgrade WinXP to SP3 before Upgrading ZA to 8.03.) there are over 200 Million Users world wide using WinXP, a majority using SP3..It is not logical that you would take the word of a half dozen or so Whiners that don't like SP3, with the Vast Majourity of WinXP users had no problem with SP3.I've Installed and Re-installed SP3 on a dozen WinXP Computers with no problem..The Only Problem that SP3 may cause is, if the Computer is un-stable in the first place, or Very Minimal Ram and Full hard drive with not enough Free HD space..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:982426715
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5735
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------I'll let Charles_B answer the second part of your request..
    GeorgeV

louiserhk Guest

George and Charles.
    Thank you for
    the information.
    I have my ZA firewall configured correctly now, but still getting a Ping Reply so perhaps it is the modem firewall.

I don't know why a firewall would not have the settings to prevent Pings as the default, but then I don't understand a lot of this stuff.

Thanks again.

<blockquote><hr>LOUISERHK wrote:
    George and Charles.
    Thank you for
    the information.
    I have my ZA firewall configured correctly now, but still getting a Ping Reply so perhaps it is the modem firewall.

I don't know why a firewall would not have the settings to prevent Pings as the default, but then I don't understand a lot of this stuff.

Thanks again.
    <hr></blockquote>

Some dsl internet providers actually require their modems to reply to pings.
    Dialup internet users frequently need to reply to ping.
    Users of P2P. skype, vpn and other networking require the reply to pings.
    There is no threat from replying to pings.
    The port scan tests such as shieldsUp! and other, mistakenly report reply to pings as a serious security threat.
    And this is not true at all.
    If anything reply to pings is conforming to correctly following the way the internet devices are meant to be used as they were intended.

Any reply to pings by the hardware may increase a little more dropped traffic....the unwanted connection attempts still get dropped by the hardware firewall anyways.... but the risks or possible threats are never materialized.
    Another way of looking at the reply to pings.... every web site on the internet responds to pings and will always reply to each ping they receive....without any risks or issues.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

George and Charles. Thank you forthe information. I have my ZA firewall configured correctly now, but still getting a Ping Reply so perhaps it is the modem firewall. I don't know why a firewall would not have the settings to prevent Pings as the default, but then I don't understand a lot of this stuff.Thanks again.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is a'ways an issue..1.) make sure what or who is being tested..2.) many time the Results that come back are for the ISP Server, or the Router ..Try ipconfig /all - with a space between the ipconfig and the /all.
    ipconfig/all will not work with out the space betwween.
    This will Reveal the IP Numbers needed to be listed into ZA Firewall /Zones in the Trusted Zone..If the IP Number does not match the Ip Numbers in the Ping results or Firewall test, than your not testing ZoneAlarm but maybe the Router or the ISP?
    GeorgeV

Thread Information