Thread: Settings for Windows Update Automatic Update Program?

eliuri Guest

Default Settings for Windows Update Automatic Update Program?

Hello:

I have Windows Update set to notify me of updates, but not to download or install them without checking with me first.

What are the optimal settings for Program Control for the program "wuauclt.exe" ?

I notice that when set to "Auto" , both Trusted and Internet Access are marked with a Red X. Even though I set this program to Super Trusted.

I also noticed that I was not notified on the Windows Updates yesterday, but had to manually download them from the Windows Update site. This might have been a normal delay in WU Notifications. But on the other hand, I'm thinking the program control might have blocked the notifications.

Thanks in advance:

Eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
    Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.483.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Settings for Windows Update Automatic Update Program?

trust the man or trust the machine?<hr>The following is my personal settings, not &quot;ZA official&quot; /Auto settings...<hr>I've seen this 'auto' setting for Windows Auto Update with &quot;smartdefense&quot; - I knew it was &quot;in-correct.&quot;
    Using dial-up/ wuauclt.exe set-up to 'notify'
    I have
    mine customized.
    Every second tuesday of the month I adjust to:Three green bars / Access - two green checks /

Server - two &quot; ? ? &quot;
    / Mail - red X
    <hr>The rest of the month I reduce the 'allowances'Two green bars /
    Access - one green check, ?
    /
    Server - ? , X or two X's
    / Mail - X( I notice a few days before each tuesday - there is activity from this progam - Microsoft servers need to know
    your configuration
    and
    which updates
    you need)<hr>For me, I find it to be a good idea to open ZA while windows updating, watch the program control panel - see which new 'temp' files open, approve any allowances for ZA alerts for these new updates.<hr>With 'notify' -
    you will get a small 'yellow' Microsoft icon in system tray.
    <hr><hr>PS - I have the same media player icon being used for XP SP3 in add/ remove - remember-
    click here &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=18509
    I believe it to be a 'harmless glitch - I never thought too much of it.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-15-2009 08:23 PM

eliuri Guest

Thanks for those details, Naive Melody.
    Just want to make sure I have this part right.
    "The rest of the month I reduce the 'allowances'Two green bars /
    Access - one green check, ?
    /
    Server - ? , X or two X's
    / Mail - X

&quot;

Access:

Trusted : Green check

Internet:
    Question

Is that how you meant it?

How risky would it be to simply leave those two entries with
    two green
    checks and then forget it?
    (After all, if
    I remember it's the second Tuesday of the month, I can download the updates manually).

&quot;PS - I have the same media player icon being used for XP SP3 in add/ remove - remember-
    click here &gt;
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=18509
    I believe it to be a 'harmless glitch - I never thought too much of it.&quot;
    I'm so surprised you remembered this concern of mine from so far back.
    In all my inquiries about it, you're the only one I've come across
    that has that same WMP icon for SP3. And yes, it has been totally
    harmless.

Thanks again for those details above:
    -Eliuri

naivemelody Guest

one size doesn't fit all <hr>Sure you can leave it with two green checks for Access; and you can have three green bars if you want - you'll have to find out which settings works best for you. Like I said those were my personal settings. [ sometimes if you find some difficulty with Microsoft updates - you can try temporarily 'lowering Program Control - from high to medium' , make sure BITS is running ]

PS - from the original WP icon for xp sp3 - there was user 'avon' who also had the same glitch. &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=18526
    &lt;

and I have read about another user on a different post stating the same gltich; so it appears to be &quot;not an isolated incident, possibly a small number of users -
    worldwide&quot;

hanging Guest

I had a problem after a tech installed SP3 on my XP and never thought that ZAP could be blocking the downloads. I have it set to &quot;notify, but let me download and install&quot;. I could not get the notices until I shut down the ZAP, and I already have my settings as you indicated above (program control at medium). I am wondering if it is the SP 3 that is causing the problem since I did not have it with the SP2. Also what is &quot;Windows Manager For NT&quot;?? I do not know if this is one which is &quot;safe&quot; or not.

I just updated to the latest version of ZAP today since I was unable to do it any sooner. I hope that someone can shed some light on my dilemma. I had to shut the ZAP down to get all of the updates from April through June, otherwise they are not auto-downloading (where you have the little yellow icon on the tool bar).

Anyone have any idea what has caused these problems? Any advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thread Information