Thread: Setting Program control for Spy Sweeper

cigarpig Guest

Default Setting Program control for Spy Sweeper

Greetings:
    I'm wondering if my ZA Pro is blocking Spy Sweeper (Spy Sweeper version 6.1.0.110). On
    ZA "Alerts & Logs" page for Programs, there are no
    alerts.
    In my
    Spy Sweeper Log there are usually many entries prefixed with the following:
    4/21/2009 6:47:54 PM: Warning: AntiVirus engine for IFO returned [Error Code A0040220] on [C:\Program Files\Sana Security\Primary Response SafeConnect\agent\......profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_ZONELABS_VSMON.EXE. ndb]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_ZONELABS_VSMON.EXE. ndb_ndb.int]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_ZONELABS_VSMON.EXE. ndb_ndb.bak]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_SVCHOST.EXE.ndb]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_SVCHOST.EXE.ndb_ndb .int]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_SVCHOST.EXE.ndb_ndb .bak]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_LSASS.EXE.ndb]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_LSASS.EXE.ndb_ndb.i nt]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_LSASS.EXE.ndb_ndb.b ak]
    ...profile\C__WINDOWS_SYSTEM32_ALG.EXE.ndb]
    There are more entries in teh Spy Sweeper log that begin with:4/21/2009 6:47:54 PM: Warning: AntiVirus engine for IFO returned [Error Code A0040220] on......[C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat]
    ...[C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat]
    ...[C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat]
    ...[C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat]
    ...[C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat]
    ...[C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat]
    ...[C:\Program Files\Sana Security\Primary Response SafeConnect\agent\profile\globalLoadable.bak]
    ...[C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe]
    ...[C:\System Volume Information\_restore{4653E8F8-6519-4964-B7BD-828D96FBCC0E}\RP257\A0085107.gdb]

Spy Sweeper has told me to open my Firewall and
    set it so
    the Firewall does not block:1) SPYSWEEPERUI.EXE2) SPYSWEEPER.EXE3) SSU.EXE4) WRCONSUMERSERVICE.EXE
    I
    think
    I set the four of them
    properly in ZA's
    "Program Control>>Programs" (Smart Defense is on Auto for all 4 too).
    However, the entry details in "Program Control" for the 4 are as follows:1) SPYSWEEPERUI.EXE
    (version 6.1.0.110, last modified date: 04/06/2009)2) SPYSWEEPER.EXE
    (version 4.4.0.79 , last modified date: 04/02/2009)3) SSU.EXE

(version 4.4.0.79 , last modified date: 04/02/2009)4) WRCONSUMERSERVICE.EXE

(version 6.1.0.110 , last modified date: 04/08/2009)
    Here are my qyestions:A) Since the version is different on some of them, is it possible the correct ones are not listed in ZA's "Program Control>>Programs"?B) Which
    access types
    (server, Internet, etc) should be granted for SpySweeper?C) Is it possible my ZA access is set properly, and the entries in the Spy Sweeper logs are related to other problems?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Setting Program control for Spy Sweeper

A. ZA is not checking by file versions but by file locations and the hash sums. The file name is irrevelavent.
    [as a general rule... right click each of these spysweeper programs seen in the ZA program list...open the Options...check the first two items to give more network and program freedom...and also uncheck the 'authenticate program' as this will disable the hash sum checks by the ZA since the files of the spysweeper are more than likely to keep changing with each upgrade or some updates.... and then check the 'authenticate program by full path name only' as this will force the ZA to authenticate the file by the file location...then Apply and OK and close the ZA and then restart the ZA.... this will help will some present or future issues]

B. Trusted and Internet Access and Trusted server and leave the Internet Server and email as question....since some security programs demand to have internet server rights and some security programs can send emails out to their home web sites for things such as file analysis or reporting false detections.

[do not use the spysweeper's email checker and the ZA email checker and an antivirus email checker all at the same time!...use only one email checker and disable the others]

C. More than likely...does not seem to be related to firewalling issues but instead some other security program issues.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-22-2009 01:43 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

naivemelody Guest

A) The version #'s
    are correct. The engines numbers with 4xxx are the right ones. These are Webroot's normal versions for engines, GUI, etc.It appears you have Spysweeper with Anti-virus? yes/ no. Sana Security? Secunia? You can list all security software; and it's exact version name.<hr>B) I have plain SpySweeper Anti-spyware + ZA Pro.
    I have Webroot email shield off. (this interferes with ZA's email protection, and on SpySweeper Support there is a 'knowledge base info about conflicts with other security software)I have the same four files: the three with Webroot icon, and WRConsumerService with basic box.
    Here is only &quot;my custom&quot; settings: three green bars, Access - two green checks, Server - one green check /
    ? , Mail - ?
    ( you can customize Server to two &quot; ? ? &quot; if you choose.) These settings work for me; (some 'others'
    will say it's too open ) nevertheless it works for me. If you feel a need to put more restrictions - you can experiment to find out which settings work for you.<hr>C) It's possible? ZA has real time layers of security and so does Webroot's shields &gt; sometimes there can be conflicts. ZA has 'privacy protection' which can often hinder access of programs/ access internet, etc.For me - I have ZA's 'privacy protection' to 'all off' and instead use a stand-alone ForceField as primary use for net surfing. Other than that I have never seen logs like yours and can not 'interpret' any further.You can try this - using Webroot's shield some are 'off' - to see if there are any changes or improvements; experiment with one different shield off, then try a different one, so on.Your using Sana security and Secunia - I dont' know how these fit into the mix? Having too many different security software with real-time protection/ behavior based/ over lapping protection can produce various issues.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-21-2009 11:24 PM

cigarpig Guest

Oldsod - Thanks for the information. I've done the following:A) I changed the options setting as suggested for the 4 programs.B) I set the access as suggested:

B1) Access: Trusted (check), Internet (check)

B2) Server: Trusted (check), Internet (?)

B3) Send Mail: (?)I also reset the SmartDefense back to auto for the 4 programs. I understand in &quot;auto&quot; mode,
    ZA
    will reset the levels if ZA feels they are
    incorrect. I'll keep an eye on them to see if they DO get reset. I left the Green Bars in Trust Level the way they were. They were either 2 bars
    (trusted) or 3 bars
    (Super).
    I do have
    SpySweeper checking attachments. I also use AVG e-mail scanner. I do NOT have or use
    the
    Anti-Virus component of ZA Pro. I have understood it is not wise to use more than one Anti-Virus for checking files on the PC. I never gave it a thought about using multiple Anti-virus scanners for incoming/outgoing e-mail. It appears as if I do. I'll look into what they're doing with regards to my e-mail protection.
    AVG -
    Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, E-mail
    ScannerSpySweeper - NO Anti-Virus checkingZA Pro - Firewall and Anti-SpywareSanaSecurity - Checks for spyware and malicious activitySecunia - Checks for unpached programs.

cigarpig Guest

NaiveMelody - Thanks for the information.
    I do have
    SpySweeper checking attachments. I also use AVG e-mail scanner. I do NOT have or use
    the
    Anti-Virus component of ZA Pro. I have understood it is not wise to use more than one Anti-Virus for checking files on the PC. I never gave it a thought about using multiple Anti-virus scanners for incoming/outgoing e-mail. It appears as if I do. I'll look into what they're doing with regards to my e-mail protection. I'll also check Spysweeper's knowledge base.
    AVG Free (version 8.0.238)

-
    Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, E-mail
    ScannerSpySweeper (version 6.1.0.110)

- NO Anti-Virus checkingZA Pro (version 8.0.298.000)

- Firewall and Anti-SpywareSanaSecurity (version 2.2.0.1159) - Checks for spyware and malicious activitySecunia (version 1.0.0.4)

- Checks for unpached programs.

naivemelody Guest

When Oldsod and I are speaking of the 'email' conflict of Webroot and ZA Pro, we are not talking about scanning, rather both ZA Pro/ Webroot
    have a similar &quot;E-mail Protection/ Attachments&quot; module.<hr>Open your ZA Pro - see left tabs &quot;E-mail Protection&quot;And Webroot's &quot;E-mail Attachments Shield&quot;Here click here &gt; http://www.webroot.com/land/personal...onfig.php#zone
    &lt; from Webroot knowledge base.

<blockquote><hr>NaiveMelody wrote:
    When Oldsod and I are speaking of the 'email' conflict of Webroot and ZA Pro, we are not talking about scanning, rather both ZA Pro/ Webroot
    have a similar "E-mail Protection/ Attachments" module.<hr>Open your ZA Pro - see left tabs "E-mail Protection"And Webroot's "E-mail Attachments Shield"Here click here > http://www.webroot.com/land/personal...onfig.php#zone
    < from Webroot knowledge base.
    <hr></blockquote>

And also be careful with the site and cookie blocker in the spysweeper.. it again appears in the ZA too.. so this too can be a source of conflicts by using two securities doing the same task.

Also both the ZA and spysweeper will lock the browser's home page and search engines, protect the hosts file and watch for new startup folder items and start/run registry keys...again another source of duplications.

Also the ZA does antikeylogger protections as well as the spysweeper too.... another source of duplications of protections.

One of the reasons why duplication of security application's protections is the main cause of software and windows conflicts... and often this duplication is needless or unneccessary anyways so the extra security is not really needed...

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information