Thread: PROGRAM SETTINGS OK?

gypsydavey Guest

Default PROGRAM SETTINGS OK?

Hi,
    This is my first message to the forum and my computer knowledge is very limited, so please bear with me.
    I am running ZA (Free) version 8 with Vista Home Premium SP2, **bleep** Pro antivirus and Malwarebytes/Superantispyware, plus of course Windows Defender. Security programs are up to date and all scans are infection free.
    My question relates to program "Host Process For Windows". File Name - c:\\Windows\System32\svchost.exe.In the ACCESS COLUMN I have green ticks for Trusted and Internet but in the SERVER COLUMN, I have a green tick for Trusted but Internet is blocked, are these settings normal for this program?
    I have been scanning messages in Common Program Settings but couldn't find an answer with relevence to my particular question.

Many Thanks,

GypsyDavey

gypsydavey Guest

Default Re: PROGRAM SETTINGS OK?

Sorry,
    I don't know where the "bleep" came from, it should have read **bleep** 4 Pro! Was it a spelling mistake?

Hi!don't use the ZA free version, here for the "Host Process for Windows Sevices" (under VISTA) I have all green check marks except for "send mail" (not in free version may be). This is how is been set by the automatic ZA smartdefense service. This setting should ensure maximum compatibility with ZA and other software installed in your system.So, in case you see things are not working correctly than give also a green check mark to internet server rights.Cheers,FaxP.S. You can edit post directly in the post (under Thread option drop down menu), no need of posting a new message. Automatic filtering system has been implemeted for certain products due to abuse by users (e.g. trash XXX use YYY).

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gypsydavey Guest

Hi GURU fax,
    Many thanks for your reply to my question.
    I sort of understand most of most of what you say, perhaps I'll become more "computer wise" in time! It seems to me that "Host Process For Windows" is a dedicated Vista only program, I did not know this.
    The only thing I cannot understand is why the Internet Server for this program was blocked in the first place, but I will unblock it now.
    Kind Regards,
    GypsyDavey

Hi!may be the settings in ZAfree VISTA are like this, just told you what I see here.If it has worked up to now then may be it is OK to leave it as it is. Up to you... Cheers,Fax

I use Vista Ultimate with Zone Alarm Security Suite:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987462740
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6165
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    I have Program Control = Max & SmartDefense Advisor = Auto (I have had these settings all the time - Program Control was never set to Auto)
    BUT
    the settings (set automatically by ZASS) for "Host Process for Windows Services" - C:\Windows\System31\svchost.exe - are:

SmartDefence="System"

Trust Level=|||

Access Trusted = yes ; Access Internet = yes Server Trusted = yes ; Server Internet =
    ?

Send Mail = no

Why should ZASS automatically set permissions for svchost.exe for me to be "Server Internet" = ? but for Fax be to be
    "Server Internet = yes"??

How can ZASS be producing automatic settings for svchost.exe that are different for different users??

I have tried resetting ZASS, even doing a clean uninstall and a fresh install of ZASS, but always with the same outcome in terms of the aumatic setting of permissions for svchost.exe.

Fax - did you allow Server Internet access for svchost and get ZASS to remember your setting??

For my O/S svchost.exe needs to be granted Server Internet access else
    programs -
    such as Internet Explorer and Outlook -
    cannot access the internet. It is just the automatic configuration of program settings for svchost.exe that seems very strange??

Would be gratefull for your help.

Sorry post had mistype. Should have read C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Hi!pleasecheck directly with ZA support the best settings for the Generic Host Process if you are not happy with the setting you have. Link to ZA support in my signature. These are the settings I have under default configuration and after the autoLearn of 21 days. They are referred to ZA Extreme 8.400.020. The users is running ZA Free.Please do not hijack other users threads but open your own thread. Also try to use normal chatacters, your message is very difficult to read. Thank you,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 06-27-2009 06:03 PM

Thread Information