Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Settings for Windows programs

hanging Guest

Default Re: Settings for Windows programs

Fax, do I understand you correctly that it is SAFE to allow Spooler SubSystem App. COMPLETE Internet access? This would be "green" all across EXCEPT for the e-mail? Just want to be certain before I proceed as I am hoping that this may resolve the problem.

Apologies for asking for confirmation, however I do not want to allow complete Internet Access, if it is NOT SAFE.

Thank you once again for all of your invaluable assistance.

Hanging

Would be interested in viewing your connectivity issue. Can you provide link to thread.
    Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Hanging wrote:
    Fax, do I understand you correctly that it is SAFE to allow Spooler SubSystem App. COMPLETE Internet access? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, it is. Spooler application is part of your OS.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hanging Guest

Thank you for verifying, &quot;fax&quot;!! Since I have given Spooler SubSystem App both &quot;Access&quot; and SERVER rights to both &quot;trusted and internet&quot;, I have not have any connectivity problems. Everything is now green except for the e-mail which is red.

Your patience and the time you spend in assisting all of us is most sincerely appreciated. Thank you once again!!

May your day be a wonderful one!

Hanging

hanging Guest

&quot;Dogdog&quot;, I no longer have the problem, however when I did, there was a prompt which stated that my IP address was unavailable and there was a &quot;repair&quot; which would only function if I turned the Zone Alarm Pro off. Since I have allowed the Spooler SubSystem App full access as &quot;fax&quot; advised I am no longer having the problem.

If it were not for his assistance I would be completely lost!!

Hanging

Fax
    What are your settings information for C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe??

Just to complete the list.
    Many thanks.

Hi!set the svchost.exe to AUTO in program control (and the rest of the ZA settings to default) and you will get the standard designation from the ZA servers. It can vary from version to version and local conditions. No use to post it here. It will just confuse more the users creating panic Cheers,Fax

When I do that, the settings I get for C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

are:
    SmartDefense = SystemTrust = ||| (&quot;super&quotAccess Trusted = yes ; Access Internet = yesServer Trusted = yes : Server Internet = ?Send Mail = no
    Program Control = Max and SmartDefense Advisor = Auto
    But ZASS seems to need to act as a server for PC to be able to access internet; therefore
    I get prompts from ZASS asking for this
    permission.
    For svchost.exe do you have Server Internet set to &quot;yes&quot; (ie green tick)??

Hi!you do not need to set the permission according to what the other have set into their system but according to your needs. In your specific case (your PC) svchost ask for permission to have server rights towards theinternet.Then you should allow and permit the communication. This will maximise compatibility with your current installed software. You have to take a different approach to security. First what is in your PC, once checked is from a trusted source (as this is the case --&gt; your update OS) should be trusted and remembered. Only when new actions will take place you will then be warned by ZA. Cheers,Fax

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!you do not need to set the permission according to what the other have set into their system but according to your needs. In your specific case (your PC) svchost ask for permission to have server rights towards the
    internet.
    Then you should allow and permit the communication. This will maximise compatibility with your current installed software. You have to take a different approach to security. First what is in your PC, once checked is from a trusted source (as this is the case
    --&gt; your update OS) should be trusted and remembered. Only when new actions will take place you will then be warned by ZA.
    Cheers,Fax
    <hr></blockquote>
    I understand what you say but, nevertheless, I would be very grateful if you could advise me of your program permissions for C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe in the same format as your earlier post for the other 3 O/S programs.
    Many thnks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information