Thread: The Internet2 had a speed limit thousands of times faster than typical broadband

prof_fate Guest

Default The Internet2 had a speed limit thousands of times faster than typical broadband

Internet2 gets speed bump
    Click Here

The Internet2 had a speed limit thousands of times faster than typical broadband. And now it is 10 times faster. A high-quality full-length movie can be sent over it in mere seconds. Speeds were increased in anticipation of rising demand from researchers.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

bannor Guest

Default Re: The Internet2 had a speed limit thousands of times faster than typical broadband

Prof_Fate

Not sure exactly what you mean: Internet 2 was thousands of times faster, and now it's only ten times faster. And you say the speed was increased?

Bannor

Message Edited by Bannor on 10-15-2007 07:04 AM

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: The Internet2 had a speed limit thousands of times faster than typical broadband

Go back and Read the Top line for the Full story

bannor Guest

Actually, I read all of your post - including the top line (or did you mean that I should read the 'header' or 'title'?) - "Internet2 gets speed bump." I'm sorry - where I am from 'speed bumps' (aka 'speed humps') are literally 'humps' of tarmac laid across the surface of a road, approximately 1 to 2 meters wide, perpendicular to the direction of travel. Their purpose is to reduce the speed of traffic, which must pass over them. Indeed, some that I have seen are so prominent that a vehicle moving over them at excessive speed could risk considerable damage to its suspension. They are usually placed near schools, etc. to slow vehicles down to reduce the chance of accidents involving pedestrians. Perhaps they are called something else in your country. I also took the wording of 'thousands of times' followed by '10 times' to indicate a reduction (10 is less than 1000) seeing as it was not qualified by an added 'than that', for example. These two statements taken together lead me to believe that the article you were referring to was about a reduction in speed, not an increase.

Sorry I got it all wrong.

Anyway, I wonder how long it will take for this wonderful internet speed to reach our homes (and how much it will cost!). Maybe by that time the requirements of the applications and games we will use by then will be 1000 times larger (thus negating the advantages of this huge increase in bandwidth), and we will be infected by malware 1000 times faster than we are now....

Bannor

Message Edited by Bannor on 10-15-2007 09:21 PM

We call them sleeping policemen.
    I thinkthe original message meant that internet2 is now 10 times faster than it was before. So presumably now tens of thousands times faster than broadband.

watcher Guest

Dear Bannor:

Re your last paragraph, Internet2, with its 10Gbps x 2 connections, is available only for schools, corporations, and researchers. However, once FTTP(Fiber To The Premises) becomes a reality, the speeds available to all of us will go way up. How much it will cost is anyone's guess. Verizon is one company attempting this now. I know someone who gets 4Mbps throughput off a cable connection. Where he lives, there are more satellite than cable subscribers and, if you know how cable works, the less people using the bandwidth means more is available for those that do, assuming the cable company does not throttle it somehow. He can run Battlefield 2 in 2560 x 1920 resolution and communicate with other gamers by audio while the game is going at full frame rates. His 30" LCD monitor makes it so realistic.

You bring up a valid point about future applications and games. However, currently, bandwidth available is far beyond what applications and games can use. Also, there is so much dark fiber out there that is not being used. It's the cost of using that bandwidth that is the limiting factor right now. As for the speed of infection by malware, there are too many variables involved to say one way or the other. Firewalls will continue to provide a 1st line of defense and evolve in response to the threat landscape.

WATCHER

Message Edited by WATCHER on 10-19-2007 08:34 PM

bannor Guest

Default Internet2 and Sleeping Policemen

Thankyou for your interesting &
    informative replies!
    So we probably have a bit of a wait on our hands before we as average users will see any increase in internet speed. I had assumed at first that if schools, corporations & researchers, etc.
    were going to use Internet2 (and therefore not the 'normal' internet), that we would see an increase in speed, however you have explained that this is not the case. You said that the limit is not lack of bandwidth, but the cost of using this bandwidth. Please forgive my ignorance, but why is it so costly? Obviously special equipment must be purchased by companies wishing to offer this bandwidth, and this is probably quite expensive, but this would be a 'one-off' purchase - as opposed to a monthly cost, for example - and this cost would be recovered over a period of time from the customers, thereby making it less prohibitive for such companies over the longer term ('investment'). Are there other major costs that I
    cannot think of (besides the obvious costs of day-to-day running of any business)?
    And if the available bandwidth now is so much greater than the current need, why does my broadband connection at home seem so slow sometimes?
    And what is 'dark fibre'?
    Sorry for all the questions, I'd just like to reduce my ignorance slightly! I will be grateful to read your replies.
    I still think that if we were given this bandwidth today, by tomorrow we would have invented a way to use it somehow - by streaming movies, etc. online (for example) -
    thereby bringing us effectively back to square one. And we'd probably still say it was slow! That's just human nature, I guess!
    Bannor

Default Re: Internet2 and Sleeping Policemen

Just Google "Internet2", and "Internet2 cost"
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watcher Guest

Dear bannor:

Fiber optic cable is extremely expensive compared to Ethernet cabling. Fitting connectors on it also requires expertise or you can damage the fibers very easily. It requires special equipment to test and troubleshoot. I don't know what other variables would make the bandwidth cost. However, I believe it does not justify the higher costs, especially if you have a good subscriber base.

About broadband, if it is cable, you are sharing bandwidth with other cable broadband users and cable TV users. If everyone is using their cable, and you are all using the same "pipe"(backbone) that has a maximum throughput, the available bandwidth to you will decrease during this time and speed up once cable TV users go to bed or other cable broadband users stop downloading, etc., making it time of use dependent. With DSL broadband, while you have a dedicated connection, it uses a common "pipe" just like cable so you could encounter the same situation except for the fact that there is no DSL TV(yet). For both of these, it is also dependent upon how many subscribers ISPs allow to connect to any of these "pipes". Also, the speed of the Internet can affect your connection as well as the speed of the server you are trying to connect to, like a web server. You could have unlimited throughput but if the Internet is experiencing a slowdown due to infrastructure problems, a new worm attack, or a server that has met its connection limit or is near to it, your fast connection will be irrelevant.

Dark fiber is optical fiber laid down in the ground but not being used. During the late 1990s, so much fiber had been laid in anticipation of Internet demand that it sits today, doing nothing. Improvements in transmission methods over optic fiber now allow increased speed compared to years ago. So you see, the infrastructure is in place but the demand has not followed and the primary reason is the cost to the consumer. Verizon, which I mentioned in a previous post, has spent a decade developing faster connections using optical fiber but is only now starting to get a return on their investment.

You are right about high bandwidth consumption with streaming movies and others which could easily choke off most people's broadband connections in use today. Besides that, the Internet backbones, the major "pipes" that connect carriers to each other could choke as well if everyone right now started to use high bandwidth applications simultaneously. FTTP will improve your bandwidth allocation but once it becomes mainstream, the Internet backbones in use today will also need to be upgraded to handle the much higher bandwidth that will be encountered.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

bannor Guest

Watcher
    Thankyou very much for a clear and concise answer - you seem to have explained the situation very well! You gave me the specific answers to my questions, precisely the the right amount of information and depth of detail.
    Thankyou
    Bannor

Thread Information