Thread: To All: The 11/20/2007 edition of PC Magazine tested PC T...

watcher Guest

Default To All: The 11/20/2007 edition of PC Magazine tested PC T...

To All:

The 11/20/2007 edition of PC Magazine tested PC Tools ThreatFire 3(TF3) behavior-based scanner. According to the article, it blocked installation of every category of malware except rogue antispyware. It beat out Symantec's Norton AntiBot and Webroot's Spy Sweeper. TF3 also had no false positives, a problem with behavior-based scanning. The article recommended the free version but stated the commercial Pro version failed at cleaning up infested systems.

I thought this was an antispyware utility but it's listed as an antivirus utility at their website. I checked the comparison between the Pro and Free versions and the Free version does not have the antivirus engine. Also, here's a twist. The Free version has a real-time scanner but you can't do on-demand scanning. It's usually the opposite for crippleware trial versions of antispyware utilities.

I'm going to download this tonight and will report back on how it installed and worked. Since it has to be on all the time to work, I'll be interested in the RAM that it uses.

For those interested, here is a link to the download page:

http://www.threatfire.com/download/

WATCHER

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: To All: The 11/20/2007 edition of PC Magazine tested PC T...

PCTools acquired Novatix's Cyberhawk this past May. It's basically a HIPS. The test review has impressed me, I may also give it a spin later. Keep us updated with your 'review.' I wonder if Threatfire 3 can also be used with ZA's ForceField beta?

I'm still staying with SSM. I have a paid subscription and it seems to be doing the job just fine.

See cyberhawk for threatfire review.

Or the comparision chart at wiki at castlecops.com

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-06-2007 07:45 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

watcher Guest

To All:

I installed ThreatFire 3 last night. Installation went OK, no problems encountered. No software incompatibilities encountered. Configuring was effortless as there isn't much to do. It adds a service called ThreatFire to services.msc and an entry to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the Registry where it autostarts from. At startup, it loads 2 processes seen in Task Manager: TFService.exe and TFTray.exe. If you open the program from either the Start menu or the context menu of the Notification Area icon, a 3rd process, TFGui.exe, is loaded. RAM usage was low. Contrary to what I read, you can do an on-demand scan and it took only a few minutes to run a full scan. It scans for rootkits as as an option to Basic or Full scans. Updating was easy to do and the latest version required no updates. I rec'd a few alerts from trusted programs which you can then whitelist in the program so no further alerts are rec'd. I think I'll hang onto it for now. I like what I see.

I'd be curious to hear from any forum member using Prevx 2, a commercial behavior-based scanner.

WATCHER

Message Edited by WATCHER on 11-06-2007 09:06 PM

Thread Information