Thread: FYI

watcher Guest

Default FYI

To All:

The 11/6/2007 edition of PC Magazine published stats from W3Counter based on 33 million visits at over 5,000 websites. The market share for operating systems are as follows:

Windows XP-83.5%
    Windows 2000-3.9%
    MacOS-3.7%
    Vista-3.5%
    Linux-1.3%
    Windows 98-1.3%

The surprise for me was Linux. I have stats from 10 years ago and Linux had a greater market share back then. I would debate the current stat as there are many good distros of Linux out there now. I've tried Fedora Core, Ubuntu, and Mandriva and these were very good. Yeah, they have a few problems but they don't cost several hundred dollars like XP and Vista.

WATCHER

weebit Guest

Default Re: FYI

Those stats don't mean a thing to Linux because many of us fake the browser etc.

<blockquote><hr>weebit wrote:
    Those stats don't mean a thing to Linux because many of us fake the browser etc.
    <hr></blockquote>

How true.
    All servers and sites see my PC OS and browser and informations just as "hello world". I suppose I am included in there somewhere, somehow, in someway.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-06-2007 05:52 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

weebit Guest

Yup. I have been everything under the sun. It just never amazes me as to why places like PC Magazine can post this **bleep**, and they should know better. Their study is not scientific and never will be. Plus it has always been common knowledge that Linux could fake that info. If PC Magazine is as good as they claim to be, they should already know this.

Money, sponsors and ad driven commercial sites usually have a diferent slant on the internet world. Sad but true.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

weebit Guest

uh huh m o n e y

According to W3, this last Sept, 2007, Firefox has a 35 &#37; share of the browser market. A little different from the operating system stats.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-06-2007 08:25 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

flyyourway Guest

Those statistics can easily be altered by changing things within the Windows OS anyhow,so a Windoze machine can be seen as a linux machine running firefox when you are really running ie on a windoze based box,this is the same with my WM phone changing certain reg settings allows me PIE browser to become IE7.I never pay attention to articles as that published by PC mag.

Thread Information