Thread: How Small is your Hard drive?

Default How Small is your Hard drive?

Here is a Photo of the First IBM 305 RAMAC System 5MB Hard drive in 1956 it was 5' x 6' and wieght one ton..http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/storage.asp
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

phoosh Guest

Default Re: How Small is your Hard drive?

Haha, I had to laugh when I saw this photo. WOW, a 5MB hard drive? Dang, what's my computer doing on Snopes? My computer is 46 years older than the first IBM in the pic, and I think I have the smallest hard drive in town: 20MB... Isn't that sad? Just 5 years old and what a dinosaur compared to what's out there now.

Hey GeorgeV... I want one and I want it NOW!

Where do you get them? It would really make my PDA fly. Just think of both the pictures I could store on it.

Does the plane to cart it around with come as part of the package? I would need to upgrade my own day VFR licence to get my multi-engine Command Instrument Rating and turbine endorsements but hey, it would be all worth it for all that extra storage space!

:8}
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>FrereOP wrote:
    Hey GeorgeV... I want one and I want it NOW!

Where do you get them? It would really make my PDA fly. Just think of both the pictures I could store on it.

Does the plane to cart it around with come as part of the package? I would need to upgrade my own day VFR licence to get my multi-engine Command Instrument Rating and turbine endorsements but hey, it would be all worth it for all that extra storage space!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a friend in my Fidonet Net382 Computer Club that still works for one of IBM's Research and Development Center in Austin, TXI'll tell him that your would like to place a Bid on the 5 MB 305 RAMAC? My first Hard drive was a 10 MB Full height 5.25 MFM Format that came in my 10 MHz Compu-add PC in about 1980?My first experiences with Computers was in 1965 at Southwest Texas State Collage and the Computer us Students had access to was something out of a Black and White SCIFI Movie :8} a Sperry Uninvac with a wall full of 4'w x 7 tall Tape drive with big spools of tape and lots of hot Test tubes and the Input device was an 8 foot wide keyboard concolewith a 1000 or so Lite keys and a two foot high Back splash with 1000's of little blinking lights, and the output was a paper 1/2 inchwide Ticker Tape.. We did have access to an "acoustical" Modem that had a dialup Microwave connection to the Massive computer at the University of Texas 20 Miles north..The UT Student Computer was a CDC (Control Data)Torus 6400, that looked like the "HAL 9000" Computer in the Movie 2001.. I could Send my Data via the acoustical cupped Modem and get the UT Computer to either Print out my Results on 132 column Paper of Punch out a Hard copy of my Data on 80 column Punch cards and I would have to drive to Austin UT Campus to pick them up.. Those were Fun days..in the late 1960's
    ---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite Beta version:7.1.218.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.218.000
    Driver version:7.1.218.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:931686702
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.188.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200712.2975
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second ComputerOperating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version: 7.1.218.000 (Vista)
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro Beta

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 12-08-2007 09:52 PM
    GeorgeV

<blockquote><hr>GeorgeV wrote:

My first Hard drive was a 10 MB Full height 5.25 MFM Format that came in my 10 MHz Compu-add PC in about 1980?br&gt;<hr></blockquote>My first experience of a hard disk was 1MByte hard drive on a Digtial PDP-9 when I worked for CSIRO in Griffith. The disk came in a box about twice the size of a PC tower. The terminals were Teletypes and we booted the 9 by a strip of punched data tape. I remember programming it in FOCAL (Formula Calculator) to model water use by crop plants. These days, musical Christmas cards have more processing power and memory than the 9!

Interestingly, CSIRO also used a PDP-9 to control the Parkes Radio Telescope - the telescope that brought the world the images from the 1st moon landing and moon walk. The telescope later stared in the mocumentary movie about the event called &quot;The Dish&quot;.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>FrereOP wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>GeorgeV wrote:

My first Hard drive was a 10 MB Full height 5.25 MFM Format that came in my 10 MHz Compu-add PC in about 1980?br&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My first experience of a hard disk was 1MByte hard drive on a Digtial PDP-9 when I worked for CSIRO in Griffith. The disk came in a box about twice the size of a PC tower. The terminals were Teletypes and we booted the 9 by a strip of punched data tape. I remember programming it in FOCAL (Formula Calculator) to model water use by crop plants. These days, musical Christmas cards have more processing power and memory than the 9!
    <HR>I agree with you...I remember having to program on a PDP-11 for a year, and having to Manually Boot it up with an series of Flip Switches on the front was a real PITA.. \
    </BLOCKQUOTE>
    GeorgeV

Thread Information