Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer

Microsoft Corp. confirms that it is investigating reports that a security update for Internet Explorer issued last week has crippled some users' ability to get on the Web with the browser.

Users started posting messages to multiple Microsoft support newsgroups almost immediately after Microsoft released the MS07-069 security bulletin on Dec. 11, saying that they were unable to connect to the Internet, either because IE refused to open or because when it did open, it could not reach various sites.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

SlyFoxX-(
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

2. Default Re: Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer

Dear SlyFox:

Well, at least the browser is more secure. I wonder if some of their programmers aren't crackers on the side. Think about it. If you can't use IE, you can't use Windows Update and keep up with the latest patches to this swiss cheese of an operating system(WinXP or Vista). Combine that with a zero day exploit, and the wide user base of IE, and you have the potential for a mass attack on PCs.

WATCHER

Default Re: Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer

Hi Watcher,First of all I would like to tell you, I am very impressed by the way you start ALL of YOUR posts by addressing every member with total respect, Dear xxxxx. In all of my travels I have never ever seen this in any of the forums/message boards I have been to. Thank you Watcher.YES, I also agree with you on your theory about I.E., etc. It took me a couple of hours yesterday, just to connect to the internet and then I could not even connect to any web sites. I kept getting that Stupid Pop Up message from Windoze about it had to close for some type of problem, blah, blah. I ended up by using a restorepoint a week prior and thank goodness everything was back to normal again. Maybe it is a wake up call for me to start removing all my files that I want to keep off my computer to a discs, so anything like this happens again, I will not lose anything that I want to keep, if I have to complete a Total Reformat of my computer, which probably needs to be down, as it has been well over a year now to clean all the other junk off of it.Great talking to you and Happy Holidays!SlyFox

4. Default Re: Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer

Hi SlyFox and WATCHER,
    It would be a MIRACLE if Microsoft ever fixed one thing and didn't break 12 other things!
    Findley

watcher Guest

Dear SlyFox:

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I've seen some forums where it was like a free-for-all against contestants, flame after flame. Some are great to read for entertainment purposes but, fortunately, not of any use here.

I use disk imaging software for disaster recovery. It takes just over an hour per week to back up my entire 60GB hard drive but it's worth it. I've only had to use it once but it saved me from rebuilding my PC from scratch, always a last resort unless you have a special-purpose PC. I also back up my data and selected email and encrypt it to a USB flash memory device and store it off-site. Otherwise, a fire or other natural disaster could destroy years of work and research. I also do special-purpose backups to CD-ROM disks and a USB pocket drive. Everyone's needs are different so design a solution that works for you. Backing up your data is a last line of defense, just in case an attacker breaks through your other defenses and breaches your system.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear Findley:

There's a method to Microsoft's madness and it's called making money. By making software with major flaws, you also create a lot of jobs in other areas like tech support, information security, network security, etc., etc.. That makes the politicians happy especially if the jobs are in their locale. It makes Microsoft happier, too, as then they can sell their books, paid tech support, and other software and hardware to address the flaws that their software has. You create your own market so to speak. Then, become publicly traded and make even more money as investors pour additional capital into the company. With the billions that the company has in cash, it can acquire competitors(subject to FTC approval), buy future technology companies and incorporate it into new products, and on and on. Plus, they hire contract employees so they don't have to pay benefits, or at least they did in the past. That cuts their costs. There was a lawsuit re this issue and its good reading if you have the time.

WATCHER

naivemelody Guest

SlyFox, nice catch on that article, I must have missed it that day. It is an important news item; now we may have to look back thru our own forum posts from 12-11 on where they(users) had IE problems - now we have some answers where ZA is not the problem. Good going, you get another gold medal or another shot of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Hi NaiveMelody,Thank you very much for the really nice comment. Yes, that is an excellent idea about going back to see if any member had problems that day with IE.NO, Gold Star for me, just very happy I could help someone with their issues here at the forum. It's funny you mentioned Bailey's Irish Cream, I just bought a bottle earlier this week for my wife to put it on Vanilla Ice Cream. Yum!!Happy Holidays!SlyFox

9. Default Re: Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer

Over the last few years I had so many members to have problems with these patches to where I had to put my foot down and tell them not to let Microsoft use them as guinea pigs. It was far better on them if they waited a few days, and then installed these patches that way they are not subjected to a computer that may or may not work afterwards. There is nothing so good as watching the security news online to see what a mess they have, and being thankful your not having to deal with it as bad. It is not completely foolproof. But it does save my sanity, and keeps computers of list members from suffering the abuse of hammers, and feet. I do think though we all would feel better if we could just reach through our monitors and ring Bill Gates neck once in a while though.

watcher Guest

Dear weebit:

Those are words of wisdom you wrote. Another aspect about what you stated is when Automatic Updates are enabled. To simplify administration, work PCs and lots of home PCs are configured this way so that the operating system is kept updated. The problem with this approach is that ALL the updates are downloaded and installed, many of which are not needed because you don't use the integrated software or features.

About Bill Gates, you have a talent for understatement. I'm a patient person. I look forward to the day when he receives his comeuppance.

WATCHER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information