Thread: Are you a hardware expert?

joppa Guest

Default Are you a hardware expert?

Before I go into a lengthy description of the problem, is anyone here an expert on cutting edge wireless hardware?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Basic
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Are you a hardware expert?

It would help if you could outline the issue. Are you talking about security, capability, configuration?

joppa Guest

A former roommate put a small wireless transceiver in my Compaq Presario laptop. I do my work on this computer, so I don't want to put it online. I actually removed the wireless component that came with it. A Hewlett Packard tech talked me through the removal on the phone.
    But my computer is still being accessed even though I never put it online. He will write things in a document, for instance, and then delete what he has written.
    He repairs computers, so he would be able to take a laptop apart and put something in it. It couldn't be a standard wireless card because there just isn't room. The place where the original wireless card was is still empty. I have no idea what the thing he installed might look like. It might be very small.
    Do you know of someone in New York City who would have equipment that could find a possibly very small transceiver? I went to a certain computer repair company with a cutesy name for another problem and was alarmed by how incompetent they are, so I'm leery. I don't just want to pick someone from the phone book.
    Please email me if you know of someone. Or if you know of a site with pictures of miniature wireless transceivers, please give me the link.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Joppa wrote:
    A former roommate put a small wireless transceiver in my Compaq Presario laptop. I do my work on this computer, so I don't want to put it online. I actually removed the wireless component that came with it. A Hewlett Packard tech talked me through the removal on the phone.But my computer is still being accessed even though I never put it online. He will write things in a document, for instance, and then delete what he has written.He repairs computers, so he would be able to take a laptop apart and put something in it. It couldn't be a standard wireless card because there just isn't room. The place where the original wireless card was is still empty. I have no idea what the thing he installed might look like. It might be very small.Do you know of someone in New York City who would have equipment that could find a possibly very small transceiver? I went to a certain computer repair company with a cutesy name for another problem and was alarmed by how incompetent they are, so I'm leery. I don't just want to pick someone from the phone book.Please email me if you know of someone. Or if you know of a site with pictures of miniature wireless transceivers, please give me the link.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Here is a Google Link "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&amp;q=miniature+wireless+transceivers +for+Laptops

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 01-12-2008 04:02 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

WOW, sounds like you have a very peculiar room mate. For him to help himself to your PC is a bit rude!

If the device is hooked into the hardware (ie a wireless network card or Bluetooth device) and not just a wireless microphone for spying on your conversations, you will be able to see it in the Device Manager (under System in the Control Panel), most likely under network adapters. If it is there, you can disable it if you wish but remember, laptops have built in wireless adapters already and this might be what you are seeing.

If the device is active, it may automatically connect to a wireless network nearby - especially if the network has no security. You can check this by opening a command prompt (DOS) window (START/Run then type cmd). At the DOS prompt, type "ipconfig /all" (without the quote marks). This will show you all the network adapters attached to your computer (including virtual tunneling devices built into the OS). See if you have an IP address, and if there is a default gateway. If attached to a wireless network, the IP address will likely be in the range 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255.

If its a Bluetooth device (only suitable for communications of up to about 3 metres, you should be able to see this in the Bluetooth manager in Control Panel.

joppa Guest

Peculiar doesn't even begin to describe him.
    Thank you for all the information. I'm working on my PC now. I tried out ipconfig /all on the PC and found this:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\Owner&gt;ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : lakshmi-1ccfx1k

Primary Dns Suffix
    . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoPPP adapter ravi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 12.75.136.93

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 12.75.136.93

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 204.127.160.3

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    and found this WAN, which I didn't set up. Now I'll use the information you gave me to check the laptop. Thank you again.

Yikes, what a control freak! Does he work for NSA?

zaswing Guest

Re:
    &quot; Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00&quot;

Something looks inconsistent to me.
    Isn't PPP/SLIP normally involved in DSL connection? Where does the transceiver come in? And it sure is an odd looking MAC address, somehow so many zeros look odd.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Jeruselem wrote:
    Yikes, what a control freak! Does he work for NSA?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would not be surprised if his house and Cell phone are wire tapped and several Black hark helicopters are following him around
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

SLIP and PPP are serial interfaces aren't they? Serial Line IP, and Point to Point usually refers to internet connections via the serial port. Could we be talking about a dialup modem, and in this case, a wireless modem?

Thread Information