Any suggestions to the below windows XP tune/clean-up list are very welcome and much appreciated!
Especially a list of essential services that shouldn't be disabled on startup (ie. with msconfig) else they would prevent the computer from loading properly.
As an avid Zonealarm and a v a s t user I think this forum along with the a v a s t forum are brilliant!
A friend has asked me to 'tune/clean-up' the laptop with Windows XP running. It is running extremely slowly.
Without knowin the exact problem, not being a computer expert and without buying a new computer, software or taking the computer apart I'm trying to put together a basic list of things to do.
Here is a list of tasks (so far) I shall of doing:
- Run a boot-time scan with a v a s t Pro 4.7.1098 and latest updated def files
- Download all necessary windows XP security updates from the Microsoft Website
- Clear all Internet Explorer and Firefox cache and temporary files
- Try and delete Internet Explorer and only run Firefox
- Clear the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory
- Use Ad-Aware and Spybot (with latest updated file definitions) in safe mode to detect and delete (any) spyware
- Run Windows XP Disk Cleanup (programs/accessories/system tools)
- Run Disk Defragmenter (programs/accessories/system tools)
- Test the harddrive for errors (right-click harddrive in 'my computer' then properties/tools tab/error checking 'check now')
- Uninstall unnecessary programs (settings/control panel/add or remove programs)
- Remove any wallpaper and all unnecessary desktop icons
- Deselect unessential services from loading at startup with msconfig (PLEASE ADVISE ANY ESSENTIAL ONES!!!)
- Going to my computer, properties, advanced tab, settings and deselecting everything except
* Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing
* Smooth edges of screen fonts
* Smooth-scroll list boxes
* Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!
Windows XP Pro
Message Edited by ZA_Avastfan on 01-15-2008 03:36 AM