Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows clean-up tips list

za_avastfan Guest

Default Windows clean-up tips list

Dear All,

Any suggestions to the below windows XP tune/clean-up list are very welcome and much appreciated!

Especially a list of essential services that shouldn't be disabled on startup (ie. with msconfig) else they would prevent the computer from loading properly.

As an avid Zonealarm and a v a s t user I think this forum along with the a v a s t forum are brilliant!

A friend has asked me to 'tune/clean-up' the laptop with Windows XP running. It is running extremely slowly.

Without knowin the exact problem, not being a computer expert and without buying a new computer, software or taking the computer apart I'm trying to put together a basic list of things to do.

Here is a list of tasks (so far) I shall of doing:
    - Run a boot-time scan with a v a s t Pro 4.7.1098 and latest updated def files
    - Download all necessary windows XP security updates from the Microsoft Website
    - Clear all Internet Explorer and Firefox cache and temporary files
    - Try and delete Internet Explorer and only run Firefox
    - Clear the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory
    - Use Ad-Aware and Spybot (with latest updated file definitions) in safe mode to detect and delete (any) spyware
    - Run Windows XP Disk Cleanup (programs/accessories/system tools)
    - Run Disk Defragmenter (programs/accessories/system tools)
    - Test the harddrive for errors (right-click harddrive in 'my computer' then properties/tools tab/error checking 'check now')
    - Uninstall unnecessary programs (settings/control panel/add or remove programs)
    - Remove any wallpaper and all unnecessary desktop icons
    - Deselect unessential services from loading at startup with msconfig (PLEASE ADVISE ANY ESSENTIAL ONES!!!)
    - Going to my computer, properties, advanced tab, settings and deselecting everything except
    * Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing
    * Smooth edges of screen fonts
    * Smooth-scroll list boxes
    * Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    5.x
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by ZA_Avastfan on 01-15-2008 03:36 AM

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: Windows clean-up tips list

I recommend the following..use all of these: the asquared free and the superantispyware free and the latest avert stinger free. The norman cleaner for malware is not to bad either.

That should nail almost all of the renegade troyans, adware or worms left on the PC.

Follow this up with a online scan from ewido and http://www. b i t d e f e n d e r . com/scan8/ using the Internet Explorer (these need to scan using the activeX).

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup201.exe
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...bar_d4191.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:942626319
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3155
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by Prof_Fate on 01-15-2008 06:19 AM

I think you'll find ZA updates might stop working if you uninstall Internet Explorer - that's if you plan to install ZA. Removing IE will also kill your ability to run Windows Update as well.

Delete any old user profiles you don't use too except leave the Windows system ones or you'll find weird things happening.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 01-15-2008 11:34 PM

za_avastfan Guest

Hi Jerusalem,

Firstly thanks for the prompt reply and tip, I shall leave IE installed.

As an expert and experienced user, do you possibly have any other suggestions or tips to 'clean-up' Windows XP and make it run faster?

I don't mean 'super-charge' it or anything, rather simply removing clutter, junk and other unnecessary things to make it run a little faster.

As an old 'DOS-user' the Windows Registry is foreign to me. I understand there are 'registry clean' programs etc. but I am wary of using any as an inexperienced user.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work on the ZA fourm!

ZA_Avastfan.

za_avastfan Guest

Hi Prof_Fate,

Thank you as well for the prompt reply and anti-spyware tips.

As an expert and experienced user, do you possibly have any other suggestions or tips to 'clean-up' Windows XP and make it run faster?

I don't mean 'super-charge' it or anything, rather simply removing clutter, junk and other unnecessary things to make it run a little faster.

As an old 'DOS-user' the Windows Registry is foreign to me. I understand there are 'registry clean' programs etc. but I am wary of using any as an inexperienced user.

ZA_Avastfan.

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>ZA_Avastfan wrote:
    Hi Prof_Fate,

Thank you as well for the prompt reply and anti-spyware tips.

ZA_Avastfan.
    <hr></blockquote>

CCleaner has four main sections which can be selected using the 4 icons in the left-hand navigation panel.
    (The Cleaner section is selected by default.)

Cleaner
    This is the main feature of the program, which will allow you to optimize your system, by removing unused and temporary files. It also protects your personal privacy by removing traces of the websites you have visited and the files you have opened.
    (It's important to point out that it does this without removing any files you'll still need!)

Registry
    This is a more advanced feature which analyses your computers registry (where windows system settings are stored) and fixes any problems and inconsistencies that exist.

Tools
    This section allows you manage installed programs and applications that run when you turn on your computer.

Options
    The Options section handles a wide array of preferences for how CCleaner runs.

<hr noshade style="width: 700px; color: yellow; height: 10px; text-align: center; border: 2px solid blue;">
    Prof_Fate said:

I recommend the following..
    use all of these: the asquared free and the superantispyware free and the latest avert stinger free. The norman cleaner for malware is not to bad either.

That should nail almost all of the renegade troyans, adware or worms left on the PC.

Follow this up with a online scan from ewido and http://www. b i t d e f e n d e r . com/scan8/ using the Internet Explorer (these need to scan using the activeX

<hr noshade style="width: 700px; color: yellow; height: 10px; text-align: center; border: 2px solid blue;">

Thanks to Prof_Fate for quoting word for word from one of previous posts http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=50974/

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-15-2008 09:53 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

za_avastfan Guest

Hi Old Sod,

Thanks for being the original source of the advice then

And thanks to Prof_Fate for quoting Old Sod's advice.

Best wishes for the future,

ZA_Avastfan

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    <hr>
    Prof_Fate said:

I recommend the following..
    use all of these: the asquared free and the superantispyware free and the latest avert stinger free. The norman cleaner for malware is not to bad either.

Follow this up with a online scan from ewido and http://www. b i t d e f e n d e r . com/scan8/ using the Internet Explorer (these need to scan using the activeX

<hr>

Thanks to Prof_Fate for quoting word for word from one of previous posts http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=50974/

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 01-15-2008 09:53 AM
    <hr></blockquote>Thank you Guru Oldsod for being a valuable souce of information to all of us ZA Users..

zaswing Guest

ZA_Avastfan,
    One of your items, not yet addressed, is deinstallation of various programs using the Add/Remove tool.
    Not so quick please. First very carefully go through the application's Help and/or menus and see if they have uninstallation instructions. Or whether there's a built-in uninstaller. Too many problems are caused by using Add/Remove while some important component is running (firewalls, AV, drivers, many others).
    Bottom line, use provided uninstaller if you can, Add/Remove, if you must, and keep your fingers crossed and hope the backups work. Just my opinion and I hope others add to our removal knowledge 'cause it ain't always simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information