Firstly, hello and apologies in advance for this long post. I thought it a good idea to try all these things myself and then describe the results here to try and save everyone some precious time.
Thank you so much for your time reading this and your help, it is much appreciated.
Jerusalem: Belarc Advisor wouldn t load on the computer, I shall try it again next time.
Problem: Windows XP takes about 8 minutes to load (3 minutes to get to the black screen with the windows logo and another 3-4 minutes until the blue welcome screen loads). The computer is also slow once loaded.
Assessment so far:
Having spent 9 hours straight (I m not joking either) scanning the computer with 6 antispyware, 2 anti-rootkit programs and a thorough virus scan without finding anything I am reasonably sure (I understand one can t be 100%) it is not spyware, adware, malware or virus related. Also to my untrained eye the hijack this scan log (sorry I forgot to save it and will post it here when I return to my friend s house to try and fix the computer again) and the list of processes running on startup didn t look unusual or excessive.
Having performed clean-up and maintenance tasks (please see below) without any change, my guess is that it is one of these three problems:
- Windows XP itself is corrupt
- The hard-drive itself is defective
- Another problem exists which you experts (compared to this newbie) can see
PLEASE HELP ME, ALL SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, IDEAS (NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE) ARE WELCOME AND DESPERATELY NEEDED!!!!!!!!!
- Fujitsu Laptop (also has Siemens written on it)
- Intel Celeron 1.86ghz
- 448MB Ram (I realise this is not much, but 8 minutes to boot XP is excessive)
- 80GB Harddrive (80% Free Space)
- 56k Modem (with 512k DSL Internet Connection)
- Windows XP SP2 Fully updated from windows update site
- Windows Firewall & Automatic Updates turned on
- A v a s t Pro 4.7.1098 latest virus def file
- Zone Alarm Pro 7.0.462.000 (latest version & anti-spyware def file)
- Microsoft Office XP
- No other major programs installed
Clean-up/Maintenance tasks to solve problem tried so far:
- Ensured Windows was up-to-date with security patches
- Checked startup programs/processes and removed adobe autostarter.
- To my untrained eye no unusual items in the list of startup processes nor the hijack this scan log (I shall post it here when I return to fix the laptop)
- Cleared C:\WINDWS\Temp, Firefox and Internet Cache, Passwords and Browsing History
- Set windows wallpaper to a blank screen and removed unnecessary desktop icons
- Uninstalled all non-essential programs on the laptop
- Ran Ccleaner and cleared all items under Windows & Applications
- Defragmented Harddrive No problems found
- Ran Windows Diskcleanup Only 2MB space cleared
- Tested the harddrive for errors with (windows error checking tool under harddrive properties, tools tab then error checking) No errors found
- Went to my computer, properties, advanced tab, settings and deselecting everything except:
* Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing
* Smooth edges of screen fonts
* Smooth-scroll list boxes
* Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
Ran the following programs in safe mode (except where stated otherwise):
- Online scan with ewido and bit-defender nothing found
- Boot-time scan with A v a s t Pro nothing found (other than 3 corrupt archive non-system files)
- ZA Anti-spyware (latest def file) nothing found
- AVG Anti-spyware (latest def file) nothing found
- Spybot S&D (latest def file) nothing found
- Adaware 2007 Plus (latest def file) nothing found
- Superantispyware (latest def file) nothing found
- A squared (latest def file) nothing found
- F-secure Blacklight (latest version) nothing found (note: does not run in safe mode)
- AVG Anti-rootkit (latest version) nothing found (note: does not run in safe mode)
Windows XP Pro
Message Edited by ZA_Avastfan on 01-17-2008 02:47 AM