Thread: Beta Testing new Albany OS for MS

flyyourway Guest

Default Beta Testing new Albany OS for MS

Hey yeall was wondering if anyone else within the forum is Beta testing MS new OS?

Default Microsoft confirms testing of 'Albany' low-cost Office suite

<P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 13.5pt">April 18, 2008 By Elizabeth Montalbano, IDG News Service
    <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 13.5pt">Microsoft on Friday confirmed it is planning to release a subscription-based "value box" of low-end productivity software code-named Albany, and has sent an early version of the product to thousands of beta participants for private testing. <P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 13.5pt">. It will feature Word, Excel, PowerPoint and more. And it will be a subscription-based service. It s intended to compete with Google Docs and other low-end productivity suites.<xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 13.5pt"><o>http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...e-suite_1.html</o><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 13.5pt"><o></o><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: 13.5pt"><o></o>

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 04-18-2008 10:01 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

weebit Guest

Default Re: Microsoft confirms testing of 'Albany' low-cost Office suite

hmm... Some &quot;other&quot; low-end productivity suites are free, so I wonder how they plan to grab a market that offers free products to their customers? Plus it is laughable when they call these low end. Yes some are, but many are not. The main point here is that the ones that are free are not so restrictive that they are useless. Perhaps it's a little too late for MS? Unless they plan to offer these as bundles to new computer buyers as well. Bundling the product on new computers will give MS a chance to yell success down the road.

/some sarcasm here sorry!

/weebit goes back too sitting on hands. I know you are jumping for joy!

I suppose they are trying to take on Sun's Open Office and maybe some Google future on line office project (free no doubt).

Just off topic. I saw the main post's title the other day and was tired.
    I mis-read the title and read "Albanian OS (operating system) for MS".
    Chuckled when I thought there was a new OS for windows coming from eastern europe. Then looked again and then saw the correct meaning of the post title.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

And of course Open Office is NOT a low end suite - its very much an equal to MS Office with one exception - macros are still to make their way into the spreadsheet. However, with the agreement between M$ and Sun to standardise file formats (ie as xml files instead of propriety formats like .xls and .doc), we can only expect greater competition.

weebit Guest

I don't understand MS's logic at times you would think they would improve what they have before moving on to something new. They had a chance to shine above the rest, and they blew it. I have no intentions on pushing their new product onto my members. It will be mentioned, but I plan to tell them they don't have to purchase a product like this if they need it bad enough there are too many free ones out there. Of course I do see the onslaught of new computer users fighting to get Albany to play nice on their computers. And &quot;Play Nice&quot; covers all that MS has shoved to the masses in the past with a number of bugs, and insecurities included.

/weebit goes and sits in the corner.

/weebit crosses fingers behind back.

/I promiss to be good! Honest!

/I am always fair first though.

Then I speak my mind.

Anybody remember or use One Note?

Oops just found out they released a 2007 version.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information