Thread: Find Out if Your PC is Part of a Botnet - Any Comments - PLEASE??

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Find Out if Your PC is Part of a Botnet - Any Comments - PLEASE??

"RUBotted is a free program that monitors your computer for suspicious activities and regularly checks with an online service to identify behavior associated with Bots. Upon discovering a potential infection, RUBotted prompts you to scan and clean your computer."

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...tools/rubotted

NO, I have not used this program yet, but would like any comments from All Experts who knows more about this program and would like to share any info about it here with our members, THANKS.

SlyFox

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

2. weebit Guest

Default Re: Find Out if Your PC is Part of a Botnet - Any Comments - PLEASE??

A beta so watch out when it comes out of beta we could be paying dearly for it. Yes you could say this is a good idea, but don't you think we have enough security software to worry about? Seems to me this sort of scanning could be implemented into our anti-virus software that we already have. Case in point for now you have spyware scanners, anti-virus scanners, Trojan scanners firewall scanners, adware scanners, etc. when does this end? Everyone doing reviews are saying the same thing. Of course Trend Micro Inc will go ahead with this, and everyone out there for years to come will be asking the same thing. "Do I need this? Is this any good?" And what will happen is many other security software makers will make one too. Hopefully they will just add the extra to their existing security software. We are starting to get swamped with security scanner software now as it is. Plus I believe a few of the anti-virus software and spyware software scan for some of this stuff now, and a few of the firewalls have a few things covered too. Sheesh the security software makers will have us milked dry eventually. We will be dishing out a 400 buck fee just to cover the security software for a new computer if we don't take a stand.

flyyourway Guest

Hey Slyone,
    I downloaded the software just to see if its even a worthy mention. I noticed right away that the program set up a VPN and then set a new network in ZA,which to me is a NO NO.it also scanned so fast I cant believe it would find anything even if I set up a botnet on my PC.

this is what it has found NADDA. As its still in Beta I wouldnt recommend it.

flyyourway Guest

AGREE and all great points Weebit

Hey FYW thanks for the test and hope your doing well.

riceorony Guest

I have used that program for about a month and it seems to work fine (not sure what it's supposed to be doing exactly though)

I agree that in the future though, we'll be loaded with security apps that using a quad-core computer would still not be enough.

Like take it back less then a decade and we only used anti-virus/trojans and firewalls. Then came a slew of anti-spyware/malware/keylogger/root-kit, etc.

Kind of ridiculous indeed.

If you add up the costs of "recommended" software to use:
    1.) Anti-virus/Firewall ($49.99-$80.00 for 1-3 computers)
    2.) Secondary Anti-spyware ($19.99-$30.00)
    3.) Router or External Firewall ($40- oodles of money)
    4.) Secondary browser like firefox or safari

And I know for a fact there are most likely many of us that also have 3-4 antispyware apps total (e.g. avg's 7.5, a squared, superantispyware, spyware terminator, etc.)

Next thing up is i'm assuming
    5.) "Sandbox" style browsers (e.g. ZAFF when they convert it either sale, or hopefully apart of internet security suites)

In order to be 100% safe is to just reformat and never use the internet again.

Hi Weebit and FYW,

Sorry I did not get back here sooner to Thank YOU Both Very Much for answering this question on this new program. Really appreciate both of you taking the time and giving ALL of our members here your thoughts on this program.

Thanks again for everything and have a Great Day!

SlyFox

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004

Hi Riceorony,

Thank you for your feedback on this program and your feedback on the current/future issues with spyware, etc. YES, I agree with your quote, "In order to be 100% safe is to just reformat and never use the internet again". Yep, just find another way of communication.

Thanks again and have a Great Day!

SlyFox

Thread Information