Thread: Study: Cox, Comcast throttling file-sharing traffic of Internet subscribers!

prof_fate Guest

Default Study: Cox, Comcast throttling file-sharing traffic of Internet subscribers!

A study found Cox Communications is interfering with file-sharing. Recently, Comcast admitted that it, too, interferes with such traffic. Cox says it uses a variety of methods to manage traffic. Want to know if your ISP is throttling your connection?
    Thursday, May 15, 2008

Comcast Corp.'s interference with Internet traffic has prompted a federal investigation and is at the center of calls for "Net Neutrality" laws, but another U.S. cable company appears to be doing the same thing without drawing scrutiny.

A study released Thursday found conclusive signs that file-sharing attempts by subscribers of Cox Communications were blocked, along with customers at Comcast and Singapore's StarHub.

Of the 788 Comcast subscribers who participated in the study, 62 percent had their connections blocked. At Cox, 54 percent of subscribers examined were blocked, according to Krishna Gummadi at the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems in Saarbruecken, Germany. The institute examined the network connections of 8,175 Internet subscribers around the world.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...f062505D53.DTL

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

agrimm Guest

Default Re: Study: Cox, Comcast throttling file-sharing traffic of Internet subscribers!

I am currently a Cavalier customer and I have read about reports like this in the past. And in these reports I don't see a reference to Cavalier participating in these practices. Due to these alarming numbers (62 percent ???),
    I did bring this up to one of the reps I know and they say that this is something
    Cavlier just doesn't do. That
    was pretty reassuring but I still would like to know more.Has anyone seen Cavalier's name come up in these reports?

Thread Information