Thread: Does anyone know of a Flash Video ".flv" file player that is free of malware.

Hybrid View

wstern Guest

Default Does anyone know of a Flash Video ".flv" file player that is free of malware.

Hi,

I have a library of downloaded .flv video Flash files which I've downloaded from www.youtube.com using the Firefox Addon: "Fast Video Download 1.6.1".
    I would like to play these .flv files on my laptop without an internet connection.
    I don't want to use the new Adobe Media player 1.0, because it overuses / misuses your internet connection which ties up too much bandwidth.

I'm looking for a lightweight free Flash video player that plays ".flv" files.
    I'm concerned that many of them have adware/spyware/trojans that come with the player as excess baggage.

Can anyone recommend a clean Flash video player that plays ".flv" files and doesn't contain trojans or other malware.

Thanks,

Bill

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Does anyone know of a Flash Video ".flv" file player that is free of malware.

Hi wstern!According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video
    VLC is one of the players for .flv files. I use VLC for .3g2 files from the phone.Lighweight and nothing bad in it far as I know.It did crash on me once or twice, but other than that it's very nice little player.Well, then there's always QuickTime ...

Edited:
    two refs:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 07-17-2008 10:08 PM

wstern Guest

Default Re: Does anyone know of a Flash Video ".flv" file player that is free of malware.

Hi Zasuiteuser,

Thanks for the tip about VLC. I'm downloaded it and my wife likes it. Thanks for the recommendation. I also like the KMP player.

I read the wikipedia article on "Flash Video", and saw the links at bottom to flv players.

I'm glad I ran these flv player exe files from wikipedia through www.virustotal.com.

The "Wimpy FLV player: wimpy_flv_player_pc.zip" which was recommended by Wikipedia.com
    was flagged as a Packed.Win32.NSAnti.e trojan by **bleep** Anti-Spyware and as a suspicious file by esafe's heuristics.
    It may or may not be a false positive, but I always lean toward being overly cautious and I never run any downloaded exe
    which gets flagged by virustotal.com.

Thanks,

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KMPlayer

The KMPlayer does it all and does it all well.
    Has excellent codec/filters included.
    Usually find what the WMP, Adobe, Shockwave, IRfan view, quick time alternative, or the ati players does not play, the KMPlyaer will mange to work with and give me the videos.
    Just has a confusing graphic user interface - kind of takes practise.
    Just do not let the asian origins of the software fool you - it is safe to install and use and does not have any spyware or hidden surprises.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wstern Guest

Hi Oldsod,

Thanks - At your recommendation, I tried out the KMPlayer. Its very impressive. I'm going to use it as my primary player.

Thanks again,

Bill

You are welcome Bill.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information