Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you add the "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" screen for a logon screen?

riceorony Guest

Default How do you add the "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" screen for a logon screen?

Hello all!

I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to get my Windows XP Professional SP3 to have the "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" screen prior to entering the logon information, rather than the default one where you click on your pretty little icon/avatar and enter the password?

Someone said all I have to do is add a second admin account?

Others say it depends on the actual copy of Windows XP Professional you have?

E.g. there might be a Windows XP Professional for Business that is different from the XP Professional that comes on the DELL Operating System Restore CD?

Default Re: How do you add the "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" screen for a logon screen?

To get the little box with the options listed and the little password/user account just change the way a user logs on and off from the use the welcome screen instead to use fast user switching.
    Then the ctrl+alt+dele will work when in windows.
    If that is what you mean.

Or just use the ctrl+alt+dele to bring up the task manager and do the shutdown or standby from in it.

Personally, I changed the welcome screen to a custom login screen as I got tired of the old blue background from XP. The login screen matches the wallpaper which gives a really cool effect when opening and using the windows.
    Plus I moved the entire tray to the left side of the screen.
    Also I changed the boot screen to something more personal - it says in big white font on a black background "Don't Panic!".
    And added Windows Zune theme (used to use the Royale Noir theme).

Just some personal touches to make it feel more confortable.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

riceorony Guest

Good morning Oldsod!

So you're telling me in order to get the "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" to logon screen after booting up, I have to do what now?

Lol i'm a confused noob

I too am tired of the Blue Welcome Screen for XP, and want the other way so that I can see my background upon logon.

Like this way:

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_the_w..._in_xp_pro.htm

works in XP HE not just the Pro.

To change the logon screen to a custom image can be tricky. Basically copy and save the logonui.exe and then edit it replacing the default windows blue with your own image.
    Something like this:

http://www.emeraldcpu.com/loginui/login.html

or do it the easy way and use a software to make the copy of the logonui.exe and also give you easy edit options in a gui.

like this:

http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hey oldsod got a question relative to this topic
    is there any way in windows to chage the picture you see at startup
    the plain windows icon and the scrollbar are ugly and i am wondering if you edit the picture and get the picture you want
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

as to require ctrl+alt+delete in xp for sign-on after you disable the user welcome screen go to administrator tools (in control panel) and open local security settings, click on security options under local policies, locate interactive logon: Do not require Ctrl+alt+delete, right click, properties and disable (normal setting is not defined) this will cause any user that logs on to have to press ctrl+alt+delete before they log on
    thanks robdog
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

riceorony Guest

Thanks robdog!

You mean like these:

http://browse.deviantart.com/customi...gonxp/?order=9

or just change these as seen in the user account "change my picture"?

then just use select any wanted picture for the personal signin/account.
    I use this picture:

as this is a good representation of the actual image of Oldsod.

so yes you can get the picture you want.
    The scroll bar (?) can be changed in the logonui.exe or with the logon studio program.

and I think riceorony wanted this one where the task manager and the other items appears in the Options button:

The actual registry key for the logonui.exe used for the windows logons is the "UIHost" found in the:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

create another logonui.exe, call it something like logonuiA.exe, place it it the system32 folder and then change the registry key to use the logonuiA.exe and your new logon screen will be used instead of the windows default screen.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-21-2008 10:38 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

im talking about the picture you see after the boot mode (on mine it says windows xp) and then it has a progress bar underneath
    this picture depending on your system only shows for less than a minute
    its the picture you see before you see any logon screen
    in win 98 if you hit esc while this picture was shown it would show you all the boot commands

the picture is winnt.bmp in the windows folderon xp but if you edit it with any photo editor the picture stays the same at the boot no matter what you do to it

Message Edited by robdog on 09-22-2008 09:48 AM
    thanks robdog

<blockquote><hr>robdog wrote:
    im talking about the picture you see after the boot mode (on mine it says windows xp) and then it has a progress bar underneath
    this picture depending on your system only shows for less than a minute
    its the picture you see before you see any logon screen
    in win 98 if you hit esc while this picture was shown it would show you all the boot commands

the picture is winnt.bmp in the windows folderon xp but if you edit it with any photo editor the picture stays the same at the boot no matter what you do to it

Message Edited by robdog on 09-22-2008 09:48 AM
    <hr></blockquote>

Okay now I understand.
    I think you mean the boot screen.

Software for this:

http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

samples like these:

http://browse.deviantart.com/customi...=9&alltime=yes

The .bmp for the bootskin is a little tricky.
    It is best to to have the same resolution/size/dpi as the windows original .bmp. And use reshacker to make the switch. You will still need your photo editor.

http://www.rgross.de/tutorial/etutorial.htm

Adobe Photoshop tutorial:

http://www.wincustomize.com/Articles.aspx?AID=97764

I cheated for the bootskin on my desktop and used the software.
    Seemed a lot easier.
    I am using the "Don't Panic" bootskin - big bold white letters on a black background. And the progress bar is close to the bottom of the screen.
    The bootskin is only there for a few seconds, just long enough to get the point across to relax and enjoy the coming pc experiences.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-22-2008 10:26 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information