Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.12.36

Default Re: Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.12.36

You could try the harddrive's vendor web site and look for diagnostic and repair tools. These usually are free and quite good.
    (some will even have backup and transfer software and occasionally imaging software again often for free).
    These will help determine if the hdd is going or just needs repairing or should be replaced (warranty?).

It could be something else. Even bad mem can cause issues. But it does seem like a disk issue.

see:

http://www.pctipsbox.com/checkdisk-r...every-startup/

and try the second advice given

... checked the event viewer?
    Had a recent virus?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

i've done multiple virus scan with zonealarm spybot and windows livecare none find any issues with viruses (unless it's underneath them) will try hp's website for disk scanning products they have (if available)
    most likely i will have to do a recovery from the os disk since certain ie files are messed up
    or i will have to do a complete system wipe and resetup my computer back to the way i had it (very time consuming)(which i have planned for next year if the problems still exsists)
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

Check not just the HP web site, but the vendor of the hdd (WD, Toshiba, Maxtor, Seagate, etc).
    The hdd's site is where you will find all of the goodies.
    If you have a media disk from HP, it may have an included diagnostic tool kit and this will include tools for the hdd.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

read hp's site and it said there is a diagnostics in the bios so i ran it and the diagnostics found nothing wrong with the hard drive
    so i'm thinking it's more of a corrupt os and/or software issue than it is a harddrive issue since it does fine in recovering the data in the checkdisk scan (just can't use the data though)
    now it could be a virus since i did have a virus a while back making me have to format the drive with a gutman process to completely get rid of it as it could be still in the memory (and it just now broke out of its own containment)(doubt it) but it could be a virus that is so well hidden that any anti-virus/spyware can't locate it or can't access the file itself without being a boot version of the software (like norton antivirus has)
    but for now i'm not really having problems with the system itself just the annoyance of certain files not being able to be accessed
    but next year i (after i back all data up and i have a job) i will reformat the system a few times with the os disk to completely wipe the hard drive of any errors in the files and do a fresh install of my os software with current updates
    now if you know of a free program i can use to do a gutman wipe down in dos mode/cd/dvd-rom (without the os being loaded) i would appreciate the link/software and any info pertaining to it

Message Edited by robdog on 11-11-2008 04:41 PM
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

It was once difficult in some ways to get the extreme rootkit - the type that live in the boot sector or in the BIOS.
    As it is still assumed these types are usually associated with user induced infections - cracks, etc.
    So I would assume this is not the case - you do not seem like the type of person engaged in these activities.

Most rootkits/malware such as troyans and viruses that are coming around these days are becoming very advanced and are resorting to these dirty tricks.
    There were some troyans and rootkits that would survive repeated formats (also the windows reformatting does not erase the boot partition where malware could hide).
    Some malware has even been know to survive in the memory - if the computer did not get completely shutdown or powered off abruptly (pull the power cord), some variations have been known to survive even complete disk erasures as long as the computer was never shutdown.

I use disk scrubber, but this is a commercial product (got it one sale a best buy years ago for 5 dollars).

Probably the best freeware and most well known disk erasure is DBAN (dariks nuke and boot).

http://www.dban.org/

Okay here is what you need to get ready for thus project. Besides geting backup files and having the windows media disk and getting of all of the latest drivers from HP and from the hardware vendores web sites (you maybe surprised as there are often newer drivers and nice extras found at the various vendors sites).

Get and make a cd copy of DBAN.
    Get the correct BIOS for the HP.

When all set for this project, then do the erase of the disk using the maximum passes and rewrite the drive to "0"s.
    Plus make very sure the entire drive is set to be wiped as this will erase the boot sector.
    The DBAN will erase not just the boot sector but all partitions and once it is finished, the drive is "raw" and very clean.

This erasing may take days and nights depending on the size of the drive. Also if this is a laptop, then the computer's fans may not run in this mode and cooling by some external method will be required (a cheap table fan blowing directly over the keyboard and aimed at the location of the hdd will keep the laptop sufficently cool).
    Once that is finished erasing the drive, then before doing anything else - just pull the power plug to "kill" anything in the RAM memory (although just turning off the computer may do).

Second step - flash the BIOS to kill any possible bios malware. Some will say to remove the bios battery and do a reset - although this maybe not neccessary.

Now it should be clean and ready for the formatting (use the long not the short formatting process).
    But note:
    instead of formatting the whole drive all at once, you maybe interested in creating a C drive partition and just format this new c drive partitionand leave the rest of the drive as "raw".
    The "raw" drive section can be further partitioned once windows/drivers are installed in the disk management of the computer management.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

or

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm

and

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial116.html

Install the windows in the c drive (along with the drivers and all software programs) and use the raw patition to create partition(s) for storing media files/data/downloads/saved files/etc.

(You could image the c drive to a spare partition on the same drive. Although it is probably better to image the c drive to a seperate hard disk drive in case of drive failure....
    http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

http://www.clonezilla.org/

note: drive image xml is limited in the free version but has a gui while the clonezilla may not have a gui - unsure about these as I never used these freeware softwares. But often for these the saved image partition must be the same size as the original c drive and visa versa).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information