Thread: Tips Before Editing the Registry

Charles_B Guest

Default Tips Before Editing the Registry

There are several methods for backing up the registry.You could use .reg files to add and delete Registry Keys and Values when editing the registry.This can be very intimidating to a lot of people and novice alike.Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system, which may necessitate the need to reinstall operating system.Here are a few tips to save you the frustration and pain, when using the 27 step uninstall of ZoneAlarm.

-- Backing Up the System State --

Backing up the System State includes the registry, the COM+ Class Registration Database, and boot files. Windows XP comes with Backup Utility accessible via [Start] [All Programs] [Accessories] [System Tools] [Backup]. In the Advanced Backup Wizard there is a setting to back up the System State either to one of the hard drives or a different media of your choosing. If the registry does become corrupt, the System State backup is used to restore the system.

The backup utility is not included in the initial install of XP, you have to add it from the disk yourself.In the Home Edition of XP as backup isn't installed by default. In the Professional Edition of XP the backup utility is already there.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

-- System Restore --

The last method of backing up the registry is using System Restore, another utility that is included with Windows XP. System Restore is best likened to a camera taking a complete snapshot of your computer system at one point in time and storing that image in what is called a restore point. This restore point can then be recalled at some point in the future, effectively overwriting any changes that have been made to the computer since the restore point was created.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx

XP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:965446709
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.4995
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Tips Before Editing the Registry

Re:"The backup utility is not included in the initial install of XP, you have to add it from the disk yourself.In the Home Edition of XP as backup isn't installed by default. "

NTbackup for XP home is on the OEM installation disk in the ValueAdd folder ...\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP.

I've read someplace that some manufacturers don't even include that.
    NTBackup is good but extremely difficult to use and restore things properly. My experience hasn't been too good with it, but I know people claim success,

I never did like the Results I got with the WinXP Home Backup Utility..I prefer the Comercial Backup product by Acronis.. True Imagehttp://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=159--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:965433532
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.4995
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

I, myself use Acronis

True
    Home
    version 11.0 (build
    8,101) for my backups.I backup to a Iomega 500GB external hard drive that's partition.One partition for backups and one partition for data.

The methods I stated was for the ones that do not have this benefit.In other words better that nothing.

Thank You

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Charles_B wrote:

The methods I stated was for the ones that do not have this benefit.In other words better that nothing.

Thank You
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It 's Only Better than Nothing, if the Restore from "NTbackup"is not Corrupted, or does not Choke durring the restore, leaving the Users with both a bad Backup and a Crashed Boot drive.. &lt;sigh&gt; X-(
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

My way of thinking is if you have to resort to have to do any method of backup is because you are already in knee deep in a state of difficulty that needs to be resolved to get your OS stable.

Thread Information