Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: service pack 3 makes zone alarm useless

johnleslie Guest

Default service pack 3 makes zone alarm useless

I have spent 2 days thinking I have a variety of problems that have kept my new build from functioning.I found that Zone Alarm was the problem. In reading through the posts here, I find that this is a known problem.I have really liked Zone Alarm and it troubles me to abandon it, but I seems I have little choice.
    I cannot transfer files from drive to drive and my windows freeze up when Zone Alarm is active. The problem goes away immediatly when I turn off Zone Alarm. I never had any problem on previous service pack 2 installs.
    If anyone has ever had any success in resolving this, I would sure like to know.
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: service pack 3 makes zone alarm useless

Hi!currently working on XP and SP3 and ZA is working flawlessly, which known problemare you referring to? Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnleslie Guest

which known problem
    are you referring to?
    I have been trying to work through the same problems as these have reportedHere are some links
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=19545

http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...en-drives.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>johnleslie wrote:
    I have been trying to work through the same problems as these have reported
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, If I understood correctly it is related to moving files?And what is the relation with ZA? I can move file between drivers without problem...Which version of ZA are you using? Rightclick on ZA icon --&gt; about --&gt; copy to clipboard --&gt; paste it hereAre you using overlapping security tool? ZASS with other antivirus or antispyware?Have you been infected by malware? Have you checked your system?Do you have set permissions to users or reduce permission on your system?You need to be more specific and explain in detail your issue.I can't replicate your issue here with ZASS and XP SP3 fully patched.May be some optimization tools have messed up with your system settings?Cheers,Fax

the problem is that if you install sp3 on top of za it will mess the program up, had the problem the first time i installed sp3
    best thing to do is a full uninstall with the clean and rmlicense option use the program like ccleaner after the restart and then reinstall za

if you still have problems (only as a last resort) you will need to backup all data that you want saved and format the system with the windows setup disk (if you have one) and install the sp3 after the install of the system os (best to use the iso file from microsoft to create a install disk) then install all your normal programs

now unless there is another way that i don't know about (please correct me if there is) i can go no farther in advise on sp3
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

Hiunless you deny programs while install SP3, ZA should not cause any problem whatsoever.I have personally never shutdown ZA while updating... but you have to be in front of the system and 'allow' whatever is proposed.Here is the instruction for a clean uninstall of ZA:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlCheers,Fax

johnleslie Guest

Yes, If I understood correctly it is related to moving files?And what is the relation with ZA? I can move file between drivers without problem...Which version of ZA are you using?
    I don't know right off what version #. I currently have it uninstalled. I downloaded the latest version.I just learned today that a friend who I had convinced to use ZA is also experiencing problems. They also stopped when he turned off ZA.
    I REALLY LIKE ZA and hope there is a solution here. I build and maintain systems for all my friends and have many of them on Zone Alarm, With the input from one of them today, it seems this may all blow up in my face soon.
    I must say that a complex workaround does not sound appealing. I might consider it on my own system, but if ZA does not have a consistent stable resolution, I will have no option but to move all my friends who are now on ZA to something else. I currently have the friend I just mentioned on AVG until I find a solution.
    Are you using overlapping security tool?
    No.
    Have you been infected by malware?
    No
    Have you checked your system?
    At first I suspected every other component. I systematically ruled out every piece of hardware. Then I reinstalled the OS. Then I reconfigured my drives. I accidentally came across the posts that I linked to on http://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...en-drives.html. I had checked program permissions on ZA as a possible problem, but did not see any issue. After reading that others were experiencing the same issue, I turned off ZA and all is well.
    You need to be more specific and explain in detail your issue.
    The issues I have encountered are mainly moving files and opening and closing windows, however they system was totally unstable and manifested many odd symptoms. Mainly, when I click on a folder, it would not open right away. Sometimes it would , sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would delay 10 seconds or so then open up. Same thing when closing a window. No response at all or a slow delayed response. Same thing with file transfer. Either no response or a very slow response. I use a redirect on &quot;My Documents&quot; to D drive. With ZA active this is virtually impossible. Even without the redirect, response is slow or not at all.
    I reassembled my system many times over in this recent build and each time, no matter the configuration, I still came up with the same issue. Clean install of ZA from latest version, clean install of old version and update. Running all on one single drive. Running OS on one drive, second for Data. Running OS on one drive two on RAID for Data. All of these resulted in same symptoms. Traded out all memory chips. Same symptoms. Complete clean install of all OS, updated drivers with absolute minimum hardware attached. Same results.
    My friend reported similar issues (this is on a laptop, nothing has been reconfigured except automatic update to SP3) yesterday. Instructed him to turn off ZA. Problems are gone. Had him load AVG. His system is now stable.
    May be some optimization tools have messed up with your system settings?
    I do not have any utilities or tools running on this build other than CPU-Z after first attempt to look at memory voltages. None have been installed since then.
    I am building another system today. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.Thank you very much for your attention.

johnleslie Guest

the problem is that if you install sp3 on top of za it will mess the program up
    robdog,
    Indeed, I did install sp3 on top of ZA in each attempt. I usually only open my system up briefly to activate the OS without security software installed. To do otherwise does not seem secure.
    best to use the iso file from microsoft to create a install disk
    I am not familiar with this. Could you elaborate?
    Thanks
    John

Hi!first time I hear of this... it must be related to some specific local conditions.. otherwise this forum would be flooded by messages.Which version of ZA are you trying to install? The ZA free?If yes, then ensure you are install on your drive C (the system) also ensure to remove any left over from previous install.See here below (link) the files/folders you need to search manually and remove.Also do NOT restore any previous settings of ZA.For the rest I have no idea... if you have a valid license you can contact, free of charge, the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform Happy holidays!Cheers,Fax

johnleslie Guest

Which version of ZA are you trying to install?This is
    the number from the installer: zaSuiteSetup_80_059_000_en
    I have 3 different licenses for 3 installs each.This particular install is on the 3rd license.
    The install I mentioned on my friends is on the 2nd license.
    I have really appreciated Zone Alarm and have installed it on all builds I have made as well as recommended it to many.
    I don't believe there is anything particular about the version or the update or the license that is problematic.
    it must be related to some specific local conditions
    This is possible, but I find it odd that I coincidentally got a report from a friend that I recommended Zone Alarm to, on a machine that I did not build, that has not had any revisions other than SP3, that has displayed the same symptoms as mine, that was resolved by turning off Zone Alarm..... Coincidence?
    If yes, then ensure you are install on your drive C (the system) also ensure to remove any left over from previous install.
    If you will revisit my previous post, you will notice that this has been clean installed, on a clean new system, on a clean install of the OS, repeatedly. Each time with the same result. Different combinations of hardware did not make any difference.
    I am putting together another machine today/tonight.I will try loading AVG on first and then SP3, then remove AVG and install ZA.Another post on this thread suggested that installing ZA before SP3 could be the problem.I will report the result on this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information