Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: service pack 3 makes zone alarm useless

Default Re: service pack 3 makes zone alarm useless

Hi!please note thatZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, AVG, Adaware, SpybotS&D, andmany others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZASS is working as it should.So, please install on a fully CLEAN machine, no other antivirus or the like and no traces of ZA.Install the OS, all SP and patches then ZASS. Allow a week or two for ZASS to stabilise at boot and daily running. It takes sometime to settle down.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

johnleslie Guest

please note that
    ZA does not play nice with many other security tools.
    I suppose I can install ZA then remove it, but I do not want to download SP3 without security software in place.Do you have any other suggestions?

Hi!there is no risk involved.... just install XP, turn ON the XP firewall and update XP with SP3 and all patches afterwords (many).After that you can install ZASS and test it...Latest ZASS needs SP3 in most cases in order to work correctly. Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 12-23-2008 01:58 PM

the iso is a cd image that you have to download from microsoft.com (not sure if it's still available)
    you will need a burner software (like nero) to open and burn the cd then use the cd to install the update of sp3 after the install of the original os, sp1, or sp2 (sp3 has all service packs included)
    this is what i do when i have to format my system (either because of virus or hard drive failure)
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

johnleslie Guest

Robdog and fax,
    I completed my next build and used robdogs suggestion. My new build is stable with Zone alarm installed after SP3. This is ultimatly the problem. If Zone Alarm is installed and then SP3 is installed afterward, the system goes bad. I downloaded the iso of SP3 and burned to disk. This did allow me to reduce my exposure time before Zone Alarm was installed, but not completely. I did download and install the remaining updates on line. I am not sure if this would be a deal breaker or not, but I wanted to make sure all Microsoft updates, Service Packs and patches were in place before installing Zone Alarm. I am not really comfortable with allowing a connection without security software in place, but ultimatly the problem is solved. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Zone Alarm on my friends laptop and his issues went away also.
    I hope that in future updates of Zone Alarm this will be considered. It is definitly not good to connect to the internet without security software in place, and the current version forces me to do this.
    Thank you both for your contributions.
    Sincerely,
    John Leslie

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>johnleslie wrote:
    I hope that in future updates of Zone Alarm this will be considered. It is definitly not good to connect to the internet without security software in place, and the current version forces me to do this.John Leslie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!first of all I have never had to turn off or remove ZA to install SP3. There must be something at your end. You just need to be in fron of the PC to allow ZA pop-ups.Secondly, after you have installed XP from the CD just activate windows firewall before going to connect to the internet to update XP with all latest pateches. This will avoid any security problem. Then when installing ZA do not turn off XP firewall, ZA will do by default.Like this any time you shutdown ZA the XP firewall will come up automatically and you will avoid any security risk.Cheers,Fax

johnleslie Guest

fax,
    &quot;first of all I have never had to turn off or remove ZA to install SP3. There must be something at your end.&quot;
    I now have a report from another computer that I built and installed ZA on. Indeed, this is something at my end. It is Zone Alarm and SP3. The solution that robdog suggested has now sucessfully resolved the issues on 3 machines. The common denominator is Zone Alarm. If SP3 is installed over
    ZA there are problems. If SP3 is installed 1st, then ZA,
    there do not appear to be any. I do not have this issue on machines that do not have Zone Alarm on them.
    &quot;just activate windows firewall before going to connect&quot;
    &quot;This will avoid any security problem&quot;
    Of course I did this, but if windows firewall is sufficient, that would imply that security software is unecessary.

I like Zone Alarm for the amount of control that it provides me. Now that I have a solution, I will continue to use it, but I am not impressed with the denial here. There is clearly a conflict between Zone Alarm and SP3.
    Thank you for your input.
    John Leslie

fax,Of course I did this, but if windows firewall is sufficient, that would imply that security software is unecessary.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, it is perfectly enough and bullet proof to download offical MS updates (you just need inbound protection). In other word, you cannot be infectedwhile updating from MS servers and having the XP firewall active. :8}Next you install ZA that will provide outbound protection and all the rest for installing software from less trustful sorces and/or backups.
    If SP3 is installed overZA there are problems. If SP3 is installed 1st, then ZA,there do not appear to be any. I do not have this issue on machines that do not have Zone Alarm on them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry, can't confirm, did many installs... noissues.I must be lucky....
    Cheers,Fax

john what is the maker of your system
    i've only had the problem on certain companies computers
    the other problem is that the sp3 tries to disable all other antivirus/spyware/firewalls and install the windows version (this is probably only true on personnal install systems not preloaded) and when it does it screws up the previous install of the personnal security software
    fax you probably are the few lucky ones that the sp install didn't affect either by you knowing what to do or just by chance and i congradulate you for the success without error
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

johnleslie Guest

robdog,I build computers for myself and friends so there is no manufacturer such as Dell, HP or such.I first experienced a problem on my latest build. It is:
    MSI X58 Platinumi7 - 2.66 Ghz6 - GB DDR3 OCZ Platinum2 - MSI R4850 Vid. in Crossfire2- 1.5 Tb Seagate 7200.11Everest 800W PS
    I built another one similar:
    MSI X58 Platinumi7 - 2.66 Ghz6 - GB DDR3 OCZ Platinum1
    - Saffire 3850 Vid.2- 1.5 Tb Seagate 7200.11OCZ
    700W PS
    I will spare you the specs on the other 2 that I have reports of similar problems.I also reccomended Zone Alarm to another friend who installed it on his laptop. All was fine until SP3 came along. Then he had similar problems. Mainly sluggish windowing and file transfer and moving. The laptop also experienced some issues with sound. Before I understood where the problem was originating, I updated all sound drivers and it made no difference. Once I discovered that Zone Alarm was the culprit. I disabled it and all systems worked fine.
    Your suggestion that SP3 be installed prior to ZA has been sucessful on all computers except one that I have not yet reinstalled ZA on.The iso of SP3 was very helpful as a time saver also.
    Thank you,
    John Leslie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information