Thread: How do you know which secondary antispyware software is good/safe to use?

riceorony Guest

Default How do you know which secondary antispyware software is good/safe to use?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to hear peoples views on HOW to determine whether secondary antispyware scanners (for on-demand scanning only) are good or bad.

I truly feel that ZA-ISS is a well rounded and complete package, but in today's internet world, there is a need for secondary and even tertiary scan options due to the boat-load of malware, troyans, root-kits, keyloggers, wurms, viruses, etc. No single program can detect all the baddies, it's possible that even every program today could miss the newest baddies too.

On this forum, we support Free Superantispyware, Free MalwareBytes, as well as the Free version of A-squared. I've even seen Guru fax post that Dr.Webs cure-it! as a viable option too.

Other than those 4, how are users able to know which are good or bad (since there are at least a hundred apps going around, whether they are Rogue or not).

-riceorony

Default Re: How do you know which secondary antispyware software is good/safe to use?

Personally I use word of mouth from knowledgeable, trusted friends, then I'll download and try what is recommended and form my own opinion. Going to sites that specialize in malware cleanup is another way to find out what the latest anti-malware program is being used.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: How do you know which secondary antispyware software is good/safe to use?

A) riceorony, click here > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
    = is an old outdated list of the hundred plus
    rogue/ suspect/ scareware/ bogus
    software vs. the dozen well known popular 'trusted' anti-malware. You may want to bookmark/ favorite this site. Of the small steady 'trusted' apps - (in my experience as far as I can tell the only new addition is Malwarebytes Anti-malware= rising new software that has earned a reputation and is often used/ recommended by the experts on the 'spyware removal forums' = that's good {ewido/ AVG
    used to have that spot})
    <hr>B) The Complete Rogue Antispyware Directory - list of current 'rogue' anti-spyware and descriptions - click here &gt; http://rogueantispyware.blogspot.com/
    &lt; if you have any of the listed 'rogue' software/ malware - please consider cease and delete. <hr>C) Here
    is a
    large current list of malware, rogue security web sites, and

suspect security software plus the IP addresses and domains they use - in the link below. If you find yourself using any of the listed
    'suspect' security software or visiting any of the
    'rogue' security web sites for advice; please re-consider.
    Here is an interesting website I just came upon. Dated Nov.12, 2008 - one of 14+ reports.
    Click here &gt; http://ddanchev.blogspot.com/2008/11...curity_12.html
    - in these series of
    reports, the author shows
    the current &quot;scareware/ malware&quot; and the growing number of &quot;suspect security software&quot; proclaiming to detect &amp; remove the 'other' original
    'malware.' :0
    "The day when fake security software sites start attracting traffic by promising to remove other fake security software, is the day when we have clear evidence that an ecosystem has emerged.&quot;<hr>D) List of about 69 Rogue scanners masquerade as antivirus, antispyware, or other security software, claiming the user's system is infected in order to trick them into paying for a full version. Rogue scanners are a category of scam software sometimes referred to as scareware. Click here &gt; http://antivirus.about.com/od/rogues...s_to_Avoid.htm <hr>E) You know of course of AntiVirus 2008/ 2009 and the other mutations that 'suddenly' pop-up on your pc
    are the new scourge of
    malware at the moment.Just for your info. I just read a nicely detailed analysis of this type of 'scareware/ malware' virus. Click here &gt; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...omy_of_a_hack/
    -
    &quot;Anatomy of a malware scam. The evil genius of XP AntiVirus 2008&quot; by Jesper M. Johansson - dated Aug. 22, 2008 - It's kinda of long, but it's very detailed and very telling.<hr>F) Of the rogue &quot;Antispyware Pro XP&quot; malware - here is a nice little Analysis and Removal report - click here &gt; http://www.malwarehelp.org/antispywa...oval-2008.html &lt; an interesting bit is how 5 common 'free' anti-spyware scanners fared: Spybot - no, Ad-Aware - no, A-Squared - tried, but failed, SuperAntiSpyware - good try, but not effective, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - works- recommended. <hr>Read the reviews of security software from: pcmag.com, pcworld.com, cnet.com (reader reviews, too), etc. Cross reference the reviews, watch the past history
    and also understand - usually the pc web site's reviews are done using a &quot;small&quot; sample/ amount of malware to test. With anti-virus - there are very good organizations who will test 'very large amounts' of malware = their test results are more a
    predictor of a software's abilities 'to detect' and 'to remove'. With spyware ( non-virus) there isn't an 'approved'
    'formal' testing procdeure/ process as it is with testing for virus.<hr>riceorony, it's not 'just' the detection with these free on-demand scanners that are of prime importance; it's the prevention in the first place. Having the lastest security updates/ patches
    for windows and of your other software - all of them. Using a more secure browser. Using anti-phishing software and/ or other web security tools - like ZoneAlarm ForceField. Not surfing in some known potentially dangerous 'generes'/ sites - too often.<hr>

ZoneAlarm ForceField:

Spyware Scanner:

Anti-Phishing Database:

Spyware Sites Database:

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 01-19-2009 12:49 AM

Try rogue remover:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/RogueRemover_Free_d5360.html

this does work to remove rogue scanners and is fairly up to date.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

riceorony Guest

Thanks everyone.

My own defintion of rogue antispyware is simple -
    [*]scanner is "freeware" but it has to be purchased in order to remove the new detections (usually false positives). The freeware only detects and does not remove - only the purchased version will remove malware. (arm twisting to make a sale). And very often the detections are artificially detected by the scanner to help "seal the deal".
    [*]scanner is free but it detected so many false positives and convinced the person that they definitely can not live with out this great product and so they believe they have to buy the product to ensure security (con job goes with the first entry).
    [*]a trojan is installed and it gives a notice to the user that the only way to remove this trojan is if the person remits monies to a certain site and only then will the removal instructions be given (mafia style form of "protection") or they have to comply to their wishes (blackmail)
    [*]self installed scanners through web browsing - such as xp antivirus and others.
    These are not genuine scanners and there is only enough code to show a presence of a scanner and nothing else. Using "almost" genuine window alerts and warning from the windows security center to convince the user that the scanner is legit.
    The entire event is scam and there is nothing legitimate involved.
    The person sees the only way to remove the malware detected by this false scanner is to send on monies using a credi card. Only then will the false detections be removed by this false scanner.
    If the person does this and follow through with the payment (scam!), there is a good chance the credit card and their personal information will be used in fraud schemes. (false advertising and scam and mis-representation)

MS's own MSRT removed almost a million of these in just nine days ...a few months ago

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9121161
    [*] Also free scanners which exhibit none of the characteristics above, but exist as a browser toolbar or BHO to ensure safer surfing or improved searches or some form of user browser aids (smileys? or other features).
    Very often these toolbars are sending back to home servers information of the users surfing habits and searches. Or these can even change search results to their own advantage or provide extra advertising for more exposure for certain sites or products.
    Very often these are legitmately recognized programs (not just rogues) and very often approved by many people, not aware of the call back features.

Need less to say, I never use any third party toolbars of any kind. Not even google or a yahoo toolbar.

There are more examples and types of rogue scanners to be found.
    But usually the old standbys that are freeware, detect and remove as freeware and have no heavy tactics to ensure a sale are for the most part legitimate.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

riceorony Guest

If I saw my browser as full of junk as what you've just posted in the picture, I would throw my computer into a furnace.

How does Microsoft's MSRT work? I'm assuming when you do the monthly updates, it scans your computer for things. If it detects something in it's definition then it will alert you to it and then proceed to remove the rouge program? Or does it remove the rouge programs silently?

-riceorony

LOLz. Some of those are tough to kill and maybe could survive the furance blast?

MS removal tool does all of those options - either from the command or from the GUI.
    See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=4599 for details.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi Ron

See this thread for some interesting ROGUE anti malware applications... all bad wares and not one are legitimate, but an interesting thread...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r218...-release-in-09

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information