Thread: System Restore Issues

Charles_B Guest

Default System Restore Issues

When ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.473.000 updated and Windows Update install KB951748 we had access issues, I was able to do System Restore to resolve issue till version 7.0.483.000 was implemented.

The only times I have used System Restore has being with Windows update issues.I use Acronis 11 that I use to backup full image before Tuesday patch day or out of cycle updates.It's faster to do System Restore then restoring from external drive.

Ever since Version 8 I've never being able to use Windows System Restore but it will restore in safe mode.I'm thinking that it has something to do with OS Firewall.

Have send ticket to tech support to see if this is the cause or what other issue.In the time being I can do it in safe mode if the need arises.

Note :

First try Running System Restore in Safe Mode. This may overcome the interference and allow the restoration to complete successfully. Note: An UNDO restore point will not be automatically created when System Restore is run in Safe Mode. To have a current restore point to fall back on, create a manual restore point in normal mode before entering Safe Mode.

Default Re: System Restore Issues

Hi!FYI can't confirm... works fine here.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

Fax wrote :

Hi!
    FYI can't confirm... works fine here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

I think next month before patch Tuesday I'll reinstall ZAISS 8.0.298.000.Will clear all restore points and start fresh.I have Windows Update to manual.Download and install Windows Updates.Then see if it does the restore.

It's very possible restore points were corrupt at the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Charles_B wrote:
    Fax wrote :

Hi!
    FYI can't confirm... works fine here.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

I think next month before patch Tuesday I'll reinstall ZAISS 8.0.298.000.Will clear all restore points and start fresh.I have Windows Update to manual.Download and install Windows Updates.Then see if it does the restore.

It's very possible restore points were corrupt at the time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think you have a Good plan..1.) it is possible that Retore Points can be corrupted2.) also if your computer ever gets Infected, Cleaning the Computer is not enough, Several recent restore point need to be deleted, as they may also be infected and may Re-infect your Computer once the computer is Cleaned.. &lt;sigh&gt;
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

Thanks GeorgeV

I'll give a shot next Windows Update and post if it works.

Often disabling windows services to 'lean' windows or harden windows can have unwanted side effects - system restore not working is one of the side effects if a needed and unmentioned service was disabled (example Task Scheduler has no services depending on that particular service, but system restore does depend on it, even though it is not mentioned).

Sometimes a corrupted system restore file can be the cause.
    Usually removing the file and restoring it, then creating several restore point as many as possible to get it working again can resolve the problem.

Myself I disable the system restore in windows. Instead use a few fixes to get it repaired as the alternative.
    Many people use some sort of disk imaging software to make copies of the entire drive - and this is probably superior to the system restore as restoring through the windows system restore is not always the cleanest or the most complete method of getting back to an earlier point. Plus imaging software gives many choices of the earlier points - windows only install, windows + drivers install, windows + drivers + tweaking, windows + driver + tweaking and data/video/audio files, etc.
    And choices by dates or when needed - example could be before something was installed, then tested, decided if that soft wa wanted or not and then taking it from there to either go back or create a new image.
    Disk imaging software is not even costly - there are several freeware software on the 'net.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Charles_B Guest

Thanks for the reply Oldsod.
    Before patch Tuesday I do a full image backup to my external usb drive using Acronis

True
    Home
    version 11.0 (build
    8,101) just to be in the safe side.
    If you recall ZoneAlarm Compatibility with Microsoft Update KB951748.I just did a System Restore to get back
    on the web till they implemented version 7.0.483.000.
    A lot faster doing Windows System Restore than restoring from external usb drive using Acronis

True
    Image, but its there if the need arises.

Have a nice day.

<blockquote><hr>Charles_B wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Oldsod.
    Before patch Tuesday I do a full image backup to my external usb drive using Acronis

True
    Home
    version 11.0 (build
    8,101) just to be in the safe side.
    If you recall ZoneAlarm Compatibility with Microsoft Update KB951748.I just did a System Restore to get back
    on the web till they implemented version 7.0.483.000.
    A lot faster doing Windows System Restore than restoring from external usb drive using Acronis

True
    Image, but its there if the need arises.

Have a nice day.
    <hr></blockquote>

Well then Charles_B, you seem to have things well in hand and under control.
    Acronis is a respectable shareware product for imaging the hdd.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information