Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Security

jerseydevil Guest

Default Extreme Security

Hi all
    I just installed the Extreme Security with Forcefield and all that. So far, so good. It's slightly slower than before but nothing causing any problems.
    Although, I should note that it is slower going
    from Post through all its song and dance until the logon screen. Then it's actually faster than
    before.
    The only feature that seems to freak out my old system is the Private Browser Option. It works fine but real s---l----o-----w. I think I will stay away from that button until I build a new box. Current system is an old 2.4 GHZ, 1 gig ram, Raid 0, Asus Based Home Built,
    XP Home SP3
    pushing it's six birthday. Thinking CPU prices may drop I am stalling on getting the new PC put together.
    The question I have is probably because I made the change to the new ver. with Forcefield without fully getting how it all works.

The Privacy Tab with the cookies settings is gone in this version. Does the Forcefield "Bubble" provide the protection I was getting from ZASS previously? That is without using the Private Browser but with Forcefield running.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Extreme Security

Does the Forcefield "Bubble" provide the protection I was getting from ZASS previously?
    Many of us will say it provides better protection and 'easier usabilty and access' than the previous 'privacy protection' modules. Basically, with ForceField on - your entire browser experience is 'maintained in a ''virtual sandboxie" where most content is allowed to run, but 'will never harm or infect' your real pc with "new unknown zero-day attacks/ hidden drive-by-downloads/ trojans, etc."If your a regular reader of the ZA forum, you will often see many ZA users who experience "no access / not able to run" -
    while using ZA privacy protection until they re-adjust the 'cookies, ad blocking, mobile code or site list' - ForceField surpasses these issues by allowing most content to run (freeing many users from confusing adjustments of 'privacy protection') and after your finished with
    a window page, simply close the browser - and all cookies(tracking cookies), history [in private browser]
    and any
    potentional malware/ potentially unwanted programs is erased.<hr>Here is the basic User Guide for the stand-alone ForceField which will explain the most basic functions and configurations click here &gt;
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fo...tml/switch.htm
    or PDF version/ printable ~ 39+ pages -click
    here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...dUserGuide.pdf &lt; click here<hr>Here is some easy reading materials:Click on any of the following links for more information and the 'why and how's' ForceField was developed.<hr>&gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...forcefield.jsp<hr>&gt; <hr>Click here &gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...top-attack.htm<hr>

ZoneAlarm ForceField:

Spyware Scanner:

Anti-Phishing Database:

Spyware Sites Database:

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-10-2009 11:46 PM
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; August 1st, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

jerseydevil Guest

Thanks much for your reply.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    I will go through the info you suggested.
    Not having to constantly adjust the Privacy settings is a definite plus.

crau Guest

I am also disappointed as much as TigerEyes and Jersey... &quot;I&quot; want to be the one to specify &quot;which cookies must or must not run in my PC&quot;. ZoneAlarm Extreme, though more expensive, does not give us this option. Any comment on that, please?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Crau wrote:
    Any comment on that, please?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Note that ZA staff does not monitor this forum, we are all users trying to help each other.If you are not happy about cookies than contact ZA customer support: www.zonealarm.com/csform Personally I think that there is no reason for bloating a security tool with auseless feature like deleting/blocking cookies. You can do that directly in your browser! :8}Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jerseydevil Guest

Thanks
    Actually, I am not really unhappy about the new ver. Just trying to understand it a little better.
    I am actually starting to like it. The speed of it seems to have trade offs when I compare it to what I had before. I think it is slightly slower bringing up the XP splash screen on boot up but when I logon it seems much quicker. Shut down drags slightly but that's not an issue as long as it does shut down without getting hung.

In any case thanks again for your reply(ies). It's a great help.

Ted

jerseydevil Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    Actually, I am not really unhappy with the new version. I will confess to
    a little confusion about how it worked
    at first. Whether other issues surface time will tell.
    Everything else, so far, seems ok. They even fixed a problem I had earlier with the 8.xxx versions. My configuration was such that I couldn't use those builds. The pc wouldn't shut down normally so I was running the last of the 7.xxxx.
    The new one works and that's good. I was concerned about using the older ver. much longer as I would assume that ZA hadn't upgraded the client software just for the fun of it. Anyway, they fixed that and that's good.
    Thanks again for your reply,
    Ted

<blockquote><hr>Crau wrote:
    I am also disappointed as much as TigerEyes and Jersey... "I" want to be the one to specify "which cookies must or must not run in my PC". ZoneAlarm Extreme, though more expensive, does not give us this option. Any comment on that, please?
    <hr></blockquote>

How about blocking third party cookies inisde of the browser?
    Does that work?
    Should be easy to do to block those unwanted cookies inside the browser itself.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

crau Guest

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried it. It seems that the browser is automatically defaulted to let these tracking cookies be always allowed: Doubleclick; Atdmt; Bluestreak; Pointroll... and ZoneAlarm is always letting them in also... No matter what! I am tired of that. I am just canceling my ZoneAlarm subscription and researching a firewall/security suite that doesn't have any commercial ties with Microsoft and Yahoo. Thanks anyways!

<blockquote><hr>Crau wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried it. It seems that the browser is automatically defaulted to let these tracking cookies be always allowed: Doubleclick; Atdmt; Bluestreak; Pointroll... and ZoneAlarm is always letting them in also... No matter what! I am tired of that. I am just canceling my ZoneAlarm subscription and researching a firewall/security suite that doesn't have any commercial ties with Microsoft and Yahoo. Thanks anyways!
    <hr></blockquote>

The browsers should be able to be set to block third party cookies - easily done in either Firefox or in the Internet Explorer. Not by using the default setting for the browser, but your own settings for the browser.

You could use the ZAISS or the ZAX with a host file (which will work for these unwanted sites/cookies).
    Or block the sites in the Zones of the Firewall (easily done in the logs to set a site to the block zone).

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-10-2009 04:07 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information