Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PIFTS.exe

vekter Guest

Default Re: PIFTS.exe

What are the contents of that .log file? I think Notepad will open it fine.

daenris Guest

On my system, that log also exists. The contents are just:

The ping url is http://stats.norton.com/n/p?module=2...amp;j=1.4.5.91

So far it seems to just be part of some Norton update, but the effort to which Norton is going to remove and block questions about it makes me suspect it's either some sort of tracking thing that they didn't want us seeing, or possibly a legitimate update file that's been compromised before being sent out in the update.

<blockquote><hr>Buff wrote:
    From Norton's own forum's usage guidelines:
    http://community.norton.com/norton/b...ts&thread.id=1
    "- Symantec retains the right to remove content and limit users' access -

Symantec does not generally edit or monitor content posted by participants to the Forums. However, Symantec retains the right, at its sole discretion, to limit participants access to the Forums and to remove material that, in the sole judgment of Symantec, does not comply with the present Usage Guidelines, or that is otherwise inappropriate for these Forums, harmful, objectionable, or inaccurate. Symantec is not responsible for any failure or delay in removing such material.

Symantec Forum moderators may take any action they deem necessary in their own judgment to support the Usage Guidelines. Such actions may include editing or deleting material and banning individual participants."
    Hmmmm doesn't say anything about closing down legit concerned customer questions, unless embarrassing questions fall under the "harmful, objectionable (to symantec)" clause.
    Didn't anyone learn from watergate it's the cover-up that always gets you?
    Honestly, I find the
    deleting of CUSTOMER posts about something their SECURITY product is either doing (or
    seems to be unable to stop being exploited by a virus/trojan/whatever)
    disgusting. I've been moving totally away from their bloatware for a couple of years now, with "save and restore" the only POS left on my computer (for drive imaging) and am really glad. This is the last straw for me. Guess I need to shell out for another
    imaging program
    I had PIFTS in the same place C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads\updt333
    <hr></blockquote>

A typical forum statement.
    The same applies here at this forum.
    Remember all posts once posted at a forum then always become property of that forum and any post then can be edited or removed at the new owner's (the forum itself) discretion.
    Pretty standard stuff and nobody should be surprised or alarmed if their own or other posters have edited and removed posts in a public forum from a security or software vendor's own forum.
    About the only place you can have absolute freedom and persoanl rights is at a private forum.
    Not in a public forum hosted by somebody or something else.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fatbear Guest

It looks like they have blocked me from posting on the Norton forum, even though I was about to post about something completely different. It also appears that this forum is under the same ownership or something because I've never registered here and my Norton registration works here, too. So I suppose I will now be blocked from this one. All I want to know is whether PIFTS.exe is safe or not, though it is starting to appear that it must be unsafe. Glad I blocked it.

--Brian

<blockquote><hr>FatBear wrote:
    It looks like they have blocked me from posting on the Norton forum, even though I was about to post about something completely different. It also appears that this forum is under the same ownership or something because I've never registered here and my Norton registration works here, too. So I suppose I will now be blocked from this one. All I want to know is whether PIFTS.exe is safe or not, though it is starting to appear that it must be unsafe. Glad I blocked it.

--Brian
    <hr></blockquote>

As far as I know the signin at this forum is not related to any toher forum - syamantec included.
    ZoneLabs and Symantec and two different and very seperate companies and both use two different forum hosters and softwares.
    Nor is either both connected to checkpoint (only ZA is).

Quite possible you not knowingly used the same registration twice at two different forums.
    I use often the same nick and password at other forums (I just never use the oldsod nick at other foruims except for a few safe ones).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi,

I have NIS and it generated an alert about PIFTS.exe this morning. I Googled it and got no hits - ZERO. I went to the Norton community forums to ask if anyone else had encountered it and what to do and found that another user had asked the same question. I added mine and a number of others added theirs, then the thread was deleted. Another thread popped up. The first one was just people who were wondering what was going on, but the second thread was full of suspicions. When Norton deletes a thread which was full of totally legitimate and non-threatening questions you really have to start wondering and apparently many people did. That thread was deleted, too. And so has every other thread that I've been able to find. It appears that Norton/Symantec is trying to cover something up by deleting these threads and hoping we all get bored and go away.

So this evening I decided to try Google again and look at this: I now get hits. It looks like ZoneAlarm users are seeing the same alerts. Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this? I never allow anything to go to the web until I know what it is. And this apparent cover-up is very disturbing.

Brian
    <hr></blockquote>

If using NIS I take it you do not use the ZA then and just the NIS?
    The ZA users forum is only intended for ZA users not for NIS users.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<blockquote><hr>daenris wrote:
    On my system, that log also exists. The contents are just:

The ping url is http://stats.norton.com/n/p?module=2...i=0&j=1.4.5.91

So far it seems to just be part of some Norton update, but the effort to which Norton is going to remove and block questions about it makes me suspect it's either some sort of tracking thing that they didn't want us seeing, or possibly a legitimate update file that's been compromised before being sent out in the update.
    <hr></blockquote>

This is a legitimate Norton site.
    I can't really see anything wrong with this.
    You could use a packet sniffer (wireshark or tcpdump) to see what these packes are and what these contain for information.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

fatbear Guest

No, I registered for this forum on a computer at work, but did not post. The forum registration email is identical to the Norton one except for the different URL of the forum. Then later at home I was already logged into the Norton forum. I opened a new tab and went to the Zone Alarm forum and found that I was already logged in. I'd never logged in from this computer before. I thought they were different companies, too. Maybe they use the same forum software and that software recognized a cookie from the other forum? I don't know. I'm really not the paranoid type, but this is really beginning to get weird. I think I'll go to bed. (I hope some guys in a black car don't visit in the night. :-)

--Brian

No, I registered for this forum on a computer at work, but did not post. The forum registration email is identical to the Norton one except for the different URL of the forum. Then later at home I was already logged into the Norton forum. I opened a new tab and went to the Zone Alarm forum and found that I was already logged in. I'd never logged in from this computer before. I thought they were different companies, too. Maybe they use the same forum software and that software recognized a cookie from the other forum? I don't know. I'm really not the paranoid type, but this is really beginning to get weird. I think I'll go to bed. (I hope some guys in a black car don't visit in the night. :-)

--Brian
    <hr></blockquote>

I am sure there is something mixed up at your end about this login business.
    Those black cars are usually okay - it when the black helicopters hover around in the night sky, then get very worried. Usually this situation is resolved by a tin foil hat with the letters ZA stamped on the side and on the top. This will prevent any leakage and unwanted intrusions.
    Whereas putting a big letter N on the tin foil hat usually makes things worse - black cars and very suspicous permanently parked utility vans will be seen across the street from your private residence.
    But this is a canadian not a an american experience I relate from.

Oldsod (with a big ZA on the side of the computer box).
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jerryyelserp Guest

Oldsod, you and ZA should be commended for this forum.... Thanks for not deleting everything.
    ZA Rocks. All Hail ZA!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information