Thread: C drive and D drive

takket Guest

Default C drive and D drive

Hoping some of you smart people here can help me.
    My computer has a 53GB C drive and 20 GB D drive.
    I'd like to move 20GB of files (pictures, word documents, etc) from my C drive to the D drive for storage.
    Can I do this? Is it ok for me to put stuff on the D drive? It says "backup" on the D drive
    so I don't know if I can use this for storage or if it has some other sort of use. I tested by putting a word file on the D drive and it opened right up normal. What is the D drive supposed to be for??????
    Seems stupid for me to have 20GB on my hard drive I can't use.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition

Default Re: C drive and D drive

<blockquote><hr>Takket wrote:
    Hoping some of you smart people here can help me.
    My computer has a 53GB C drive and 20 GB D drive.
    I'd like to move 20GB of files (pictures, word documents, etc) from my C drive to the D drive for storage.
    Can I do this? Is it ok for me to put stuff on the D drive? It says "backup" on the D drive
    so I don't know if I can use this for storage or if it has some other sort of use. I tested by putting a word file on the D drive and it opened right up normal. What is the D drive supposed to be for??????
    Seems stupid for me to have 20GB on my hard drive I can't use.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition

<hr></blockquote>

Usually 'backup' implies just that a backup of the used data files.
    In case the C drive dies or fails or gets wrecked by a nasty virus, the 'backup' files would be intact and still available, thus having no loss of songs, videos, pictures, files, etc.

But this does not neccessarily mean you have to use the D drive only as a backup.
    D drive can be used for anything (although backing up important files is a good idea incase the C harddrive does get ruined/dies or if there is a virus destroying windows rendering the computer unuseable.
    You could even place the virtual memory from C drive and place it on the D drive, thus freeing up some space on the C drive. (and even increase the virtual memory if you wish).
    Extra files from C drive can be placed on D drive as well as copies - it is all up to you as how to use the D drive.

If you check the local computer shops or even the big store chain (bestbuy/future shop/etc) or mail order/delivery sites (tigerdirect/newegg/etc), you could buy for just little money a larger drive to be used for the D drive. A hard disk drive is cheap these days - first just find out if the drive is either eide or sata, and then do a little price checking - a 100 or 160 GB drive is comparively cheap.
    Plus the advantage is if you get another new computer, you can add the D drive into the new rig and have those files ready and waiting for you. The old 20 GB drive can be still used - get an external case for it and then use it as an external usb drive - with any files you want to save for a very safe backup or preservation.

When you add the new drive to windows - if you do purchase another larger drive - then add it to the computer (swap out the old drive first) and then re-connect the power and the attached cables and start windows. Windows will find it as 'new hardware' and then either let it find the drivers or use the drivers from the hdd's web site or drivers that came with that drive. That is IF it needs to have new drivers.
    Then open the Computer Management, Disk Mangement and before formatting the drive into NTFS, first partition the drive as you want or wish. Then format the new partition, and the 'raw' or unused portion of drive can then be partitioned again and formatted or left as 'raw' or just formatted and left as one partition.
    Even the partitions can be named or re-named as desired such as photos, video, music, emails, text files/info, etc to make things easier to look up and find.
    And of course, a backup folder can be added to the larger newer D drive.

Just my two cents.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-14-2009 04:50 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

takket Guest

I already have an external harddrive that I use to backup EVERYTHING on my computer. So if I do that, do i need to keep the D drive around for anything? I guess what i'm afraid of is that if something happens to my C drive, does anything get transferred to my D drive automatically by my computer? I'd be afraid that some important files would get tranferred over there and overwrite my documents on the D drive. As long as the D drive is just meant as a place for me to backup important files of my choosing, then I don't really need it to do that, since, as I said, I use an external drive for backup.

Files will only get transferred without your consent or knowledge if there is a backup program running or if the backup is used in windows.
    Without this, it will not backup by itself.

OR

Do you mean some malware will transfer itself to the d drive?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information