Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know I'm not, but :)

raideron Guest

Default I know I'm not, but :)

Hi all,
    I know I'm nolonger a ZA customer so I'll understand if this is removed or I get no replies...
    On my Vista Ultimate I finally talked Dell into replacing my noisy HD, Hence my question
    I have both the old and new HD installed, but now I need to "clone" my old drive to thenew one...
    Dell told me
    to just drag and drop all info/folders
    into the new drive.
    Will this work to compelety " Clone" my new drive
    to make it
    my new boot drive that willbe exactly the same (boot-up, programs, Games,
    Registry and settings
    as my old driveis???
    If not, is there any other way to do this without buying software?? If I do needadditional software is
    True Image still the best program for this??
    Thanks again And hope all is well with all!!
    Besides the above, Both the Vista Ult. and XP Pro is running Great(on the XP now) Ihad to give the XP a test since I just
    upgraded to IE8(yes I still use it) So far all is playingnice with programs that is on here along with the "other" 16.5 version that is on the XP,it's a bit faster but just a bit. No problems yet.... Still waiting to upgrade the Vista...
    B Good People!!!

zaswing Guest

Default Re: I know I'm not, but :)

WE don't know you're no longer ...

TrueImage would be my suggestion. I understand it's ok in Vista. I think v11.
    Go over to the Wilders forum - there's FAQs there and lotsa support, some from the vendor, best from the few experts.

I don't know Vista. Also I think Windows has something called file transfer wizard for this sort of thing, but no idea if any good.

You'll be back with ZA - just wait and see

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Raideron wrote:
    Hi all,I know I'm nolonger a ZA customer so I'll understand if this is removed or I get no replies...On my Vista Ultimate I finally talked Dell into replacing my noisy HD, Hence my questionI have both the old and new HD installed, but now I need to "clone" my old drive to thenew one... Dell told meto just drag and drop all info/foldersinto the new drive.Will this work to compelety " Clone" my new driveto make itmy new boot drive that willbe exactly the same (boot-up, programs, Games,Registry and settingsas my old driveis??? If not, is there any other way to do this without buying software?? If I do needadditional software isTrue Image still the best program for this??Thanks again And hope all is well with all!!Besides the above, Both the Vista Ult. and XP Pro is running Great(on the XP now) Ihad to give the XP a test since I justupgraded to IE8(yes I still use it) So far all is playingnice with programs that is on here along with the "other" 16.5 version that is on the XP,it's a bit faster but just a bit. No problems yet.... Still waiting to upgrade the Vista...B Good People!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome Back Raideron.. it's been over a Year... you used to be a Regular around here with 337 post..1.) Are you sure you talked to a Tech support person at DELL, or the night time Custodian? &lt;Grin&gt;The New HD would have to be formatted and partitioned with a Boot partisan.. otherwise all the files and directories that you copied over to it with drag and drop would be treated as a Data drive and not Bootable, and in any case the BOOT Sector and FAT table with all of your File Alocation info can not be copies over to the New HD with drag and drop..2.) you are Correct, Acronis True Image has a Cloneing Feature in it, that lets you install a New HD and Clone it from the Old HD and make the New HD Bootable..ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980714681
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5565
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.130.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 03-20-2009 04:09 PM
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

raideron Guest

I tell you George... I even called dell twice and got the same answer :-(.... The replacement drive is bootable as it wasloaded with all as per the sent factory specs., but not with all else I have since added. I did plug it in as my boot drive(bad decision on my part, as it took almost 2hrs before I could use it, But it was a lot quieter :-) ) But not any fasterthen what I now have on the old drive.. Hence, me just wanting to &quot;clone&quot; old drive to new drive and have all workingas before.
    So to make sure I have this correct, will Acronis True Image Home v 12 2009 completely &quot;clone&quot; the new drive so asit will work as my old drive once I hook it up as my boot drive??
    I had wanted to get this program, but my first venturein my purchase did not go well, and ended up with me spending more $$$ and not have the program :-( . So I
    justwanted to make sure it would do what I needed... I have asked this on other fourms, but still no reply, So I'm here onthis Great site
    that gives
    &quot;Lots&quot; of Great Info and help!!!!!
    Another thought that I have been having was.... If I used Windows Vista Ult. backup/restore for a complete systembackup and pace on the old drive, then restore it to the newdrive...... Would that work???
    Anyhow thanks for your reply, and sorry for taking up real customers questions :-0....
    Have a Great Day
    Ron

raideron Guest

Thanks zasswing,
    for the info/reply.... Yes I'm looking into all options before buying any added software, Free isreally good now days, but only if it does what you need it to do....
    Your last statment..... I just may be, But..... It's been Great to date...
    Thanks again... HAGD!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Raideron wrote:
    I tell you George... I even called dell twice and got the same answer :-(.... The replacement drive is bootable as it wasloaded with all as per the sent factory specs., but not with all else I have since added. I did plug it in as my boot drive(bad decision on my part, as it took almost 2hrs before I could use it, But it was a lot quieter :-) ) But not any fasterthen what I now have on the old drive.. Hence, me just wanting to "clone" old drive to new drive and have all workingas before.So to make sure I have this correct, will Acronis True Image Home v 12 2009 completely "clone" the new drive so asit will work as my old drive once I hook it up as my boot drive?? I had wanted to get this program, but my first venturein my purchase did not go well, and ended up with me spending more $$$ and not have the program :-( . So Ijustwanted to make sure it would do what I needed... I have asked this on other fourms, but still no reply, So I'm here onthis Great sitethat gives"Lots" of Great Info and help!!!!!Another thought that I have been having was.... If I used Windows Vista Ult. backup/restore for a complete systembackup and pace on the old drive, then restore it to the newdrive...... Would that work???Anyhow thanks for your reply, and sorry for taking up real customers questions :-0....Have a Great DayRon
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I use Acronis TrueImage Home Ver. 11.0 (Build 81.01) on Vista Ultimate SP1 (32-Bit) and on Trueimage main menu click Disk Utilities and not Backup Utilities.., Under Disk Utilities menu click on Clone Drive..It will let you clone a whole drive or just selected partitions..
    GeorgeV

Charles_B Guest

I use Acronis 11, but never have use disk cloning capabilities.Info at this link :

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...s-cloning.html

You can download Acronis True Image Home 15 days trial at this link :

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...oad/trueimage/

raideron Guest

Thank you again George!!
    Guess I'll go the route....

raideron Guest

Thank you Charles_B...
    I thought of going that route(trial)... But I think I try and just get the paid program..
    Thanks again

Your Welcome..Let me know how it works out..
    GeorgeV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information