Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?

  1. #1
    eliuri Guest

    Default "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?

    Hello:
    I recently installed Super AntiSpyware. They recommend a program: "What's Running on my Computer" by the file research Center. This site uses Active X [sabspx.cab]
    by Super AdBlocker.com
    http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/wh...ningerror.html
    Would this
    this tell me more than Taskmanager and Services.msc already does?
    Any comments about safety and usefulness of this scan?
    Thanks in advance
    Windows XP Pro SP3ZAISS 7.0.483.000

    Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,057

    Default Re: "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?


    <blockquote><hr>eliuri wrote:
    Hello:
    I recently installed Super AntiSpyware. They recommend a program: "What's Running on my Computer" by the file research Center. This site uses Active X [sabspx.cab]
    by Super AdBlocker.com
    http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/wh...ningerror.html
    Would this
    this tell me more than Taskmanager and Services.msc already does?
    Any comments about safety and usefulness of this scan?
    Thanks in advance
    Windows XP Pro SP3ZAISS 7.0.483.000

    Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    7.0
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

    <hr></blockquote>


    Probably safe as it is from a respected security vendor...but maybe un-neccessary at the same time.
    True the services and the taskmanager tell a lot, so does the system information.

    Probably the Process Explorer and Autoruns would do the same thing (maybe even better too) and these installs on the desktop for those always there times.
    I enjoy these free tools very much.

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  3. #3
    eliuri Guest

    Default Re: "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?

    Thanks, Oldsod:

    Was actually thinking of trying Process Explorer by SysInternals. But am a bit intimidated by the complex technical info it apparently yields. Sounds like a good educational too as well for learning about how files and processes interact.

    If I hit the wrong keys or options in Process Explorer, can I mess up my system? Or is it &quot;***** proof&quot; in that sense?

    Sorry for having posted on the wrong board earlier. Had meant to ask this on &quot;Off Topic&quot;

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,057

    Default Re: "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?


    <blockquote><hr>eliuri wrote:
    Thanks, Oldsod:

    Was actually thinking of trying Process Explorer by SysInternals. But am a bit intimidated by the complex technical info it apparently yields. Sounds like a good educational too as well for learning about how files and processes interact.

    If I hit the wrong keys or options in Process Explorer, can I mess up my system? Or is it "***** proof" in that sense?

    Sorry for having posted on the wrong board earlier. Had meant to ask this on "Off Topic"
    <hr></blockquote>


    It is fairly safe...hard to mess things up.
    So yes it is ***** prooof.
    And yes it is a great learning tool ... the main strength is it's abundance of many details and vast information.
    It is something that does not get used well in the first week or so... it takes some time to figure things out and fully understand what is happening and why. But that is the fun part about learning all about windows and computers!

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  5. #5
    avon Guest

    Default Re: "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?

    <hr>

    Thanks, Oldsod:

    Was actually thinking of trying Process Explorer by SysInternals. But am a bit intimidated by the complex technical info it apparently yields. Sounds like a good educational too as well for learning about how files and processes interact......

    <hr>

    &quot;Process Explorer guide for newbies&quot; =

    http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10998

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,057

    Default Re: "What's Running on Your Computer" Scan?


    <blockquote><hr>avon wrote:
    <hr>

    Thanks, Oldsod:

    Was actually thinking of trying Process Explorer by SysInternals. But am a bit intimidated by the complex technical info it apparently yields. Sounds like a good educational too as well for learning about how files and processes interact......

    <hr>

    "Process Explorer guide for newbies" =

    http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10998
    <hr></blockquote>


    Thanks Avon.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •