Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZoneAlarm product management wants to hear from YOU!

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm product management wants to hear from YOU!

Since ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite ver. 6.5 to current version 8, I have had problems with Outlook Express
    crashing when Reply, Reply All, and Forward to messages in the Inbox.

I have to use a workaround to get it to work.When message is in the Inbox, read email, close, while email is highlighted without opening message right click and from drop down select Reply, Reply All, and Forward.

This has been ongoing since mid 2006 without a fix.ZoneAlarm has been aware of this issue for some time now.How
    about fixing this problem.If it's a Sonicwall problem, get them to fix it.

Thank You
    Charles_B

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-26-2009 08:35 AM

updatemike Guest

I've been using ZA products for years now, since v3 I think. First ZA Free, then on to ZA Pro and the last couple of years ZA Anti-virus. Apart from some known problems on occasion, I've been satisfied with the ZA offerings I've used.
    I have three comments:<ul>[*]I do not get many virus warnings as I visit normal sites and run a well locked down computer, but a couple of weeks ago I got some false positives while visiting a kosher site. The problem is not that they were FPs, but that the window alerting me of the quarantine actions was not stealing focus at all. I think it should and it should stay on top of all other windows until clicked away. I found that odd.[*]I feel definition updates are too noticeable. I'm not sure what ZA does when it updates the definition file (does it do a scan of select/critical files?!), but performance drops considerably when the tray icon shows ZA is updating. Perhaps whatever it does, can be done
    in a lower priority mode. Slightly related, does Game Mode (set to Automatic Deny) allow definition updates? If it does, I think it shouldn't or at least give the user the choice to configure this (on/off).[*]Finally, memory consumption. My system (XP SP3 | E8400 CPU, 2GB of RAM, 9600GT) is using 645MB of RAM at the moment, according to the Processes tab of
    Windows Task Manager.
    I right-click ZA's tray icon and choose to Shutdown ZA (Anti-virus) and see all ZA processes disappear. After that, remains in use,
    315MB... So ZA is using more than everything else combined, I think that's a lot personally.[/list]

Message Edited by UpdateMike on 06-23-2009 03:44 PM

cliff_rigg Guest

Hi

I, like others whose posts I have read on these forums, am having an issue with system restore running XP Pro SP3 as mentioned by simonebardo in the stickies at the top of this forum.

It has been occurring ever since version 8.0.293 with me and comprises the system apparently performing the restore normally after restart, before indicating that the restore failed and... &quot;no changes were made to your system&quot;, or a similar message, appears.

I have read widely on the forum about this problem. Charles_B suggests doing the restore in safe mode. This works for him but I (personally) haven't tried the method yet. I probably will though if the need arises. I used to rely upon system restore (prior to this problem) but have now started to take a full disk image as well. I would however like to see this problem fixed as use of system restore has proved extremely useful in the past.

Another problem I have encountered, only since version 8.0.400.020, concerns the sonicwall anti-spam filter. Another problem with many mentions in these forums. In my case, OE6 opens, the sonicwall splash screen opens and begins scanning the mail being transferred before the OE6 and sonicwall screens simply disappear! Checking with TaskManager, it appears that the instance of OE6 (msimn.exe or similar) remains running as does mantispam.exe. Repeating the failed startup several times leaves several instances of this program running which I terminated manually with (seemingly) no ill effects upon the rest of my system.

Reading the posts in these forums concerning the mail problem seems to suggest that it is a sonicwall problem and will not be addressed by zoneAlarm. If this is so then could I suggest unbundling this troublesome software and supplying a more robust mail scanner with your products.

Hope that this information helps,

Cliff.
    :-)

Windows XP Pro SP3 (fully updated)

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987261634
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6145
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

za_product_mgt Guest

Guru George, I will take your suggestions to the development team, and we appreciate your positive assessment of the ZA firewall. Thank you for all the time you spend helping people on this forum, too.

Thank You..Your participation in thisUser Forum is Greatly appreciated..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

In reference to this post :

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=20269

Ran System File Checker &quot; SFC /scannow &quot; and all Windows files intact and in their original versions.So it's not the OS or Outlook Express.

Thank You

forum_moderator Guest

Default Thank you for your input!

ZoneAlarm product management thanks everyone who gave us suggestions and information.This completes this round of data collection.We will from time to time ask other sets of questions.Best regards,Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information