Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System Restore and CCleaner

Charles_B Guest

Default System Restore and CCleaner

Have gotten System Restore to work in ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020.I could do a System Restore in Safe Mode only.

My way of thinking was if I could do a System Restore in Safe Mode there must be something in normal mode preventing the restore.

Have being sampling different scenarios.Hit the nail in the head.CCleaner is the culprit.I created a restore point before downloading a sofware.Installed and did System Restore.Restore Incomplete.When into Add and Remove and removed
    CCleaner.Created SR point.Download an other software and installed.Ran SR,Restore Complete.

Reinstalled CCleaner, set new restore point and downloaded new software.Ran SR and Incomplete.Uninstall CCleaner
    and set new restore point and installed new software.Ran SR again and SR Complete.I did this five times just make sure this was the issue.

I guess I could use CCleaner to clean registry when clean uninstall of ZASS, ZAFF, and Firefox.Then uninstall.

What is your take on this GeorgeV if I may ask ?

Message Edited by Charles_B on 07-06-2009 01:33 AM

Default Re: ! CCleaner preventing System Restore !

Hi!Did I understood correctly that CCleaner is preventing system restore?Interesting findings! Thank you.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

Fax, it was a total surprise to me.I really like the program.Must be the last couple current builts.I was able to use SR in ver.8.0.298.035.Have being trying all kinds of scenarios for a while.

Hi!have you checked with CCleaner and without ZA?May be there is a combination of factors?Cheers,Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Charles_B Guest

Yes.Untick at startup and rebooted.Wouldn't restore as long CCleaner install.

I have Ccleaner v2.21.940 on all of my computers..1.) WinXP SP3 with ZASS 8.0.400.20 and ccleaner I just created a System Restore point, rebooted the computer and did a System Restore using the new Restore point with no problem..2.) Vista Ultimate SP2.. ZAX 8.0.400.020 Ccleaner.. and Created a new Restore point ok..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

is ccleaner using Default settings or have you Ticked additional features in Cleaners Windows/Applications or Tools System Restore?
    GeorgeV

Charles_B Guest

is ccleaner using Default settings or have you Ticked additional features in Cleaners Windows/Applications or Tools System Restore?

No.Use default settings.Clean reinstall of CCleaner every time.5 times in my sampling different scenarios.I can create a SR point, but Restoration Incomplete when CCleaner is install.

I can just use it when cleaning registry when doing clean uninstall ZASS, ZAFF, and Firefox and then uninstall.I can live with that.I just wanted to pass this information on.

This is last with this issue.Maybe this is just my system.Is nice to have System Restore working.But like you, I use Acronis True Image if the need arises.

Have nice Day my fellow TEXAN

Message Edited by Charles_B on 07-06-2009 09:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Charles_B wrote:

No.Use default settings.Clean reinstall of CCleaner every time.5 times in my sampling different scenarios.I can create a SR point, but Restoration Incomplete when CCleaner is install.

I can just use it when cleaning registry when doing clean uninstall ZASS, ZAFF, and Firefox and then uninstall.I can live with that.I just wanted to pass this information on.

This is last with this issue.Maybe this is just my system.Is nice to have System Restore working.But like you, I use Acronis True Image if the need arises.

Have nice Day my fellow TEXAN

Message Edited by Charles_B on 07-06-2009 09:59 AM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This may be something that checkpoint Tech Support needs to know about..I would suggest Live Text Chat with Tech Support and maybe they can figure something out or Relay your findings to the Developers?Live Chat mode : http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htmLet Fax andGeorgeV know what you find out...

Message Edited by GeorgeV on 07-06-2009 02:54 PM
    GeorgeV

Charles_B Guest

Agent: Thank you for contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Charles_B: There is an issue when using System Restore.It's not Zone Alarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020, but only when CCleaner is installed.Is there a compatible issue with ZASS and CCleaner current version.If uninstall CCleaner System Restore works.

Agent: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Agent: We have seen the system restore issue on a limited number of systems, but we have not determine CCleaner to be a factor in this.

Agent: We have duplicated the issue on a machine with CCleaner installed alongside ZA. We could do some further testing without CCleaner installed to determine if that is a factor.

Charles_B: Have gotten System Restore to work in ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020.I could do a System Restore in Safe Mode only. My way of thinking was if I could do a System Restore in Safe Mode there must be something in normal mode preventing the restore. Have being sampling different scenarios.Hit the nail in the head.CCleaner is the culprit.I created a restore point before downloading a sofware.Installed and did System Restore.Restore Incomplete.When into Add and Remove and removed CCleaner.Created SR point.Download an other software and installed.Ran SR,Restore Complete. Reinstalled CCleaner, set new restore point and downloaded new software.Ran SR and Incomplete.Uninstall CCleaner and set new restore point and installed new software.Ran SR again and SR Complete.I did this five times just make sure this was the issue.

Agent: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Agent: I will be right with you.

Charles_B: OK

Agent: I can document this information and try testing it later this week and get my results to our development team. If CCleaner is determined to be a factor in the system restore issues we have been seeing, they should be able to work on the issue with the CCleaner staff.

Charles_B: Thank You, Bye

__________________________________________________ __________________________

So ZoneAlarm does acknowledge system restore issue on a limited number of systems.

This is about all I can do.

Have nice Day

Message Edited by Charles_B on 07-06-2009 11:21 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information