Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: System Restore and CCleaner

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: System Restore and CCleaner

Thanks Cliff.Rigg for letting me know.Next week I'll try to get hold of Live Chat using same ticket number to get a progress report from them on issue.

Have a nice Day

cliff_rigg Guest

Default Re: System Restore and CCleaner

Hi GeorgeV,

I understand your reticence in trusting system restore, and appreciate your advice. I too have got doubts about how useful it can be in certain circumstances (such as malware attaching to SR points).

On the other hand, I have ZAISS which has faithfully protected me from malware infections for many years now. I have had no real infections since installing it and, apart from the original version 8 release, have had little problem with updating. I'm not nieve enough to think that this will always be the case however given that malware is evolving all the time.

As far as system restore is concerned, I tend to use it if Windows settings get corrupted, and wouldn't use it if my machine was infected with malware. Just in case I DO get a malware infection, I take a clone of my hard drive using clonezilla which I hope will cover me in the worst cases.

I would appreciate any more advice you might be able to give concerning the way I've chosen to secure my computer though as I'm sure I don't have all possible situations covered. When it comes to other security software, I have MalwareBytes and SpyBot installed (though have disabled TeaTimer as that particular facet of the software DOES cause problems with ZA) as well as CCleaner. In addition, when software updates for ZA are available I have always used the 'upgrade' rather than 'clean' installation option, so far without problems.

Best Regards...

Windows XP Pro SP3 (fully updated)

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:988361380
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200907.6195
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information