Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't wait for Microsoft's patch: Secure Windows now

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Zero-day ActiveX Hole in Windows XP Under Attack

If not too off topic, Oldsod, could you, kindly please, share some of your IE8 settings, perhaps in another thread. I installed it long ago, and haven't yet gone beyond their initial page which is supposed to make me say wow. In any case, I do need IE for one thing beyond MS updates, and at this point not even sure whether this will work. Any help will be appreciated, as I find it a nightmare to navigate their little windows and more windows. Thanks in advance
    Oh, I do know to have *updates* or something like it trusted, the rest is confusing me.

raideron Guest

Hey Oldsod,
    I wouldn't go that far.. 8-).... But I must say all is working just
    great! Not one "P"on both
    so far...
    We're doing OK, just dealing with the times and our earlier decisions...Hope all is going great with you and yours!!
    Ya'll keep the info flowing as ya'll have been!!
    Ron

I will seriously consider your request - it will be a fair chunk of work to present.
    Initially after installing the final version of IE8, I checked around for the new 'enhancements and improvements' in the IE8 and actually followed some of these suggestions and ideals through, but since that time I have have not really looked at IE8.

Until I post the IE 8 security rundown, I can give this for advice for the interim - control the activeX, vbs, the mime (or class ids), private headers (referer), and what ever else is wanted or desired in the firewall.

Also... of important note is originally the intial release of the IE8 did not work well with additional filters that would add sites into the 'Restricted Zone' of the IE8. The large additions added into the Restricted Zone caused the IE8 to become extremely slow or 'boogy' or unresponsive.
    However since that time, MS recently has fixed this particular issue and now large filters for the Restricted Zone such as from 'iespyads' can be now easily and safely once again. Not directly suggesting you need the extra restricted zone entries, but some users may consider this approach (used instead of or used along with a host file).

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I find it a little odd that so many of the MS's MVPS and many security sites (and forums) have not yet responded to the new changes found in the IE8 and have yet to offer user guides and advicements for fully utilizing or to capitulate these newest security enhancements.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

No 'P' is very good.

Thanks for the greets and the same to you and yours.
    Doing well enough at this end of life.
    Thanks.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Charles_B Guest

Raideron, Sorry for butting in.

BTW : Did you get Acronis True Image after all ?

Have A nice Day Ron

raideron Guest

Hi Charles,
    After Dell replaced my HD, and I picked up a 500gig off of ebay..( both are silent 8-))I tried to get Dell to let me buy the old drive, but we could not agree on a price....I did get Acronis True Image 2009.($15
    8-)
    )I
    did not make an image to transfer to the new drive, I started anew, then backed upall to the 2nd drive and have Acronis managing every xxx days with auto
    backups...All is working good, hopefully I will never have to find out if the back ups work... 8-)
    Maybe I should huh???
    Well I will just after Microsoft agrees to give Vista
    Ultimate users a "free" upgrade toa "like version" of
    Windows 7......... HaHaHahahaha.... But I keep trying.....
    Have a Great day Charles

Message Edited by Raideron on 07-09-2009 06:24 AM

zaswing Guest

Thanks Oldsod. Please, do IE8 if and only if and when it's convenient for you. Any old tidbits are better than nothing!

zaswing Guest

Ron, bit of advice to you
    Make sure to make yourself a boot CD, make an image to your big drive using the Acronis recovery boot CD. Make another image someplace else. Then using the boot CD restore from image. Restoring has to be checked, because every system is different, and last thing you want is to discover that you have trouble recovering at the time you need it.

Second piece of advice - 500gig is enormous. It'll take hours or days to defrag or checkdsk. Partition it into several segments, perhaps 5x100gig each. Each partition will get a new drive letter and Acronis will see them as well. You can even create 1 or 2 small partitions now and leave the rest unallocated for later use.

raideron Guest

Thanks zaswing,
    I did make a boot disk, I also did 150gig for backup.. I already had to delete one of the backupsto make room for the newer backup...
    Hey thanks all... I'm sorry to butt in here, but I really just wanted to say what I said in my firstreply....
    I'm going back to the silent mode.... Keep up the great work guys and Gals!!!
    Ron

Thank you zaswing.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information