Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forcefield Toolbar not visible in IE7 on XP

curiousone Guest

Default Forcefield Toolbar not visible in IE7 on XP

Assistance please.
    No matter what I do I cannot get the Forcefield toolbar to display in IE7 on XP.
    I have purchased and loaded Forcefield onto a desktop running the up to date MS XP and IE7 software.
    The product loads OK and the 'Manage Add-ons' function in IE7 shows the Forcefield Toolbar (and Registrar?) are 'Enabled'.
    The FF icon appears in my SMTray and appears to function OK (I used the Beta version for twelve months on another Vista machine so I know what is is supposed to look like).
    My TCPView network tracker shows that FF is making the connections when I use IE7 to connect to a site.
    Problem is, that no matter what I do I cannot get the FF toolbar to appear at the top of the page with the other toolbars
    as it
    is supposed to do.
    I have uninstalled and re-installed IE7 (which was not an easy proposition) and disconnected Spybot S&D and any other startup memory resident software.
    Still no luck.Is the toolbar hidden somehow and/or is a registry change required.
    Please note also that Forcefield does not appear as an option in the XP IE7 Toolbar list (unlike Vista where it appears greyed out unless you activate it as Administrator).
    I have checked using the MS Test to ensure that I have Admin rights on XP.
    I also run ZASS and have tried installation with ZASS installed and uninstalled - no luck!
    I have installed and uninstalled the product a number of times with no success.
    I tried downloading the last beta version but that didn't display the FF toolbar either.
    Advice would be appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:Other ZoneAlarm Product

curiousone Guest

Default Re: Forcefield Toolbar not visible in IE7 on XP

Update on previous message.
    After a deal of review and experimentation I have worked out that the FF functionality is definitely working it is just that the toolbar will not display.
    I tried creating a new User with admin rights and re-installed FF.
    No problems, the FF toolbar appeared on the IE7 for that created user (which I didn't need) and consequently deleted.
    I thought this might create the FF toolbar in my own IE7 admin logon but it didn't.
    Apparently FF has decided that my current login doesn't have admin rights (whilst all other functionality and the microsoft admin rights test confirms it does) and won't allow me to access the toolbar.
    Incidentally when the FF protected IE7 installation is running (you can tell by the glow around the edges in the 'windowed' mode) it will not allow me to run the IE7 network diagnostic/repair function as it notifies that I don't have 'administrator rights' with which
    I have
    no problem when I am in the normal/'unprotected' mode.
    Is this 'feature' a hangover from Vista whuich requires 'run as administrator' to achieve the changes (this does not seem to work with XP Home).

Does some guru have any advice to offer?

Message Edited by CuriousOne on 07-06-2008 12:59 PM

normsbigwindow Guest

Having the same problem - I have IE7 7.0.5730.13 and Firefox 2.0.15 install on XP Professional 2002 SP3 and while I can see the icon in the taskbar - I cannot get the add-on to appear in either browser. I have ZoneAlarm SS 7.0.483.000 installed as well. I just renewed by ZA license and decided to try the FF app. Wish I hadn't bothered as I don't feel I am getting my monies worth

Can you help ZA?

normsbigwindow Guest

...further to my note and just in case anyone suggests....I have uninstalled IE7 and FF a number of times to no avail.

pjthelion Guest

Did you go to view, toolbars and see if you have forcefield selected.

curiousone Guest

In my case,
    FF does not appear as a toolbar option even though manage-ad-ons shows that the toolbar is enabled!
    Suggestions?

normsbigwindow Guest

pjthelion - yup, checked in both browsers that the FF toolbar was ticked.

Hi!
    if you have a valid ZAFF license or still in trial period you can contact free of charge the ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

normsbigwindow Guest

UPDATE - I've managed to get the FF add-on to load in FireFox - only by right clicking the icon in the taskbar and choosing 'Open Browser'. If you just click the short-cut on the desktop or a link in an email it won't load although it appears as a add-on under toolbars. This is a design fault in the software and something I suspect ZA will be trying to address in the next release. I've no idea what the root cause of the bug is but I worked around it by uninstalling FF and its license. Setting FireFox as the default browser and then reinstalling FF. I dare not try it for IE7 until the next patch is released as I suspect it will fix the IE7 issue. Not great, but it'll do for now.

ZA Customer Satisfaction Score after 2 days....
    10/10 for ZA Marketing Dept - boy! they hooked me good.
    0/10 for ZA Software Development - folks, you need to work on the bugs - customers don't like to be unpaid testers unless you offer the stuff cheap until it works.

curiousone Guest

Thanks FAX
    I didn't know this service existed and not being in the US I don't have access to the paid telephone support.
    Having to right click the forcefield icon to selectively load an unprotected browser is tiresome.
    I hope the ZA boffins have some answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information