Thread: ForceField 1.1.082.000 - problems with software and with tech support

chuckh Guest

Default ForceField 1.1.082.000 - problems with software and with tech support

I submitted two problems via the tech support form at http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp.
    I am using TrueVector Version 1.1.082.000, and selected this option in the form. I received an email headed "Your issue/problem email submission to
    'Zone Labs Technical Support'
    was not accepted", which
    said that this was not a valid version. I replied, complaining, for obvious reasons, and my reply was also rejected. I re-sent my email with
    the version number spelled out in words, and that has now been acknowledged. Reply awaited.
    The problems I have reported are:
    1. If the option to prevent any website recording keystrokes is selected, then the screen
    capture facility in PaintShop Pro X2 doesn't work at all (i.e. in any window, or on the desktop).
    It can be made to work only by rebooting; exiting ForceField doesn't help. I've also noticed that, if you deselect the keystoke option it says FF will reload; it doesn't seem to, but it does close the browser as it says it will.
    2. In sites where I have set ZA Security Suite to accept cookies, if I am using ForceField then Privacy Advisor keeps popping up saying it has blocked cookies. This does not happen if I am using an unprotected browser.
    I'm using XP, SP3, & IE7
    [Why isn't ForceField listed in the Product Name field on this form? It's not that new!]

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:Other ZoneAlarm Product

Default Re: ForceField 1.1.082.000 - problems with software and with tech support

Hi!ZA staff does not monitor this board. We are all users here helping each other.I suggest you wait for ZA support feedback and see what they say.Apart from the strange behaviour about ZASS privacy features not working in unprotected session the rest seems normal to me.Keylogging function scramble any screenshot or key logging tool. No distintion is made between good or bad when related to your browser.You may want to limit the blocking to 'https' sites only.Alternatively you may want to try (at your own risk) the latest beta of ForceField here:www.zonealarm.com/beta Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chuckh Guest

Default Re: ForceField 1.1.082.000 - problems with software and with tech support

I'm aware that ZA folk don't read this - but maybe others can comment. I also think others might wish to know in advance that if they report errors quoting the latest TrueVector Release of ZAFF they'll have a problem.
    I've clearly not made myself clear concerning the ZASS Privacy Advisor. It works normally in unprotected browsers; if I have allowed cookies
    from a site then ZASS does not say it has blocked cookies.
    With ZAFF running and going to the same site ZASS
    says it has blocked cookies. ZAFF should not cause ZASS to block cookies where I've said they're permitted.
    As regards screen capture, what you suggest is completely unacceptable in my view. If screen capture
    is initiated from a non-web (non-browser) application then ZAFF should have nothing to do with it. If ZAFF sets up a virtual browser then what goes on there should be separate from what goes on in the rest of my machine - and vice versa. Security tools must not interfere with daily life, otherwise they won't get used.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>chuckh wrote:
    As regards screen capture, what you suggest is completely unacceptable in my view. If screen captureis initiated from a non-web (non-browser) application then ZAFF should have nothing to do with it. If ZAFF sets up a virtual browser then what goes on there should be separate from what goes on in the rest of my machine - and vice versa. Security tools must not interfere with daily life, otherwise they won't get used.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!ZAFF is designed to protect the browser from tools installedon your system. Nothing else than the browser. You should take into account this if you need to take screenshot of the web browser. Just protecting from browser add-in will leave your system opento malware. Malware can install on your system from your browser in form of an executable not dependent on any broswer add-on.Just limit the keylogging to HTTPS sites... where most is needed (banking, shopping, etc).Or if you need to take screenshot of your bank site then open a non-protected browser page.Personally I like the concept and its easyof use. Also consider that any legit screenshot tool can be used by a third party software for non-legit purposes. ZAFF cannot distinguishlegit tools used to steal information from you.But if you do not like the approach you should report it to ZA. There is little use to do it here.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 10-12-2008 07:11 PM

chuckh Guest

Hi Fax,
    I'm clearly not making myself understood! With ZAFF running I cannot take a screenshot of anything, not even my desktop. I can't even do this when I unload ZAFF; that's got to be a bug.
    I would be interested to know whether other people
    have this problem with other screen scapers
    than PaintShop Pro X2 which I'm using.

Hi!thank you for the further explanation.I have PSP 11 and cannot reproduce your issue.Have you tried with the browser closed? Have you set anti-keylogging only for https sessions?Cheers,Fax

Thread Information