Thread: Internet Explorer 7 can't access internet under ForceField

owlcat Guest

Default Internet Explorer 7 can't access internet under ForceField

I installed ForceField on my computer. It works fine with FireFox v3.0.3 but it does not work with Internet Explorer. Regardless of what URL I enter, IE7.0.6001.18000 tells me that "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. I can open an unprotected browser (IE) and it works just fine. I'm guessing that it is some kind of configuration issue or interaction with another add-in, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:Other ZoneAlarm Product

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Internet Explorer 7 can't access internet under ForceField

Check two places in IE7 security...[ also some IE7 have "protected mode" setting, see if disabling it
    makes a difference ]<hr>

In IE 7 - click 'Tools' &gt; Internet Options &gt; Advanced &gt; see &quot;Browsing&quot; &gt; put green check for
    &quot;Enable Third Party Browser Extensions&quot; you will have to restart pc.<hr>In IE 7 - click 'Tools' &gt; Manage Add-ons &gt; make sure the two following entries are enabled...[some Vista/ IE7 have &quot;No Add-ons mode&quot; - this needs to be shut off ]

TrustCheckerIEPlugin.dll&quot; both for BHO and Toolbar

1 - ForceField Toolbar - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - Toolbar

2 - ForceField Toolbar Registrar -

&quot;

- Browser Helper Object<hr>On my HP XP Home ed., ZA 7.0.483 Anti-spyware firewall - FF has 6 files listed in my 'program control' area &gt; three green bars- super trust level, almost all green checks all the way except for one. Compare your list against mine.<hr>

1- ZAFFDiag.exe

2- ISWSVC.exe

~ if you check your pc &quot;services&quot; this one should be listed as 'started' &quot;Automatic&quot;

3- ForceField.exe
    ~ these three are usually on

4- ISWMGR.exe

5- ISWLDR.dat

6- Plugins\ISWUPDE.exe

~ this one is on during &gt; auto updating of spyware scanner and spyware sites database<hr>Other possibilities: you may have some security software with 'web browser' guard/ shield/ firewall
    and alike - which
    may be preventing the proper install and function of FF with IE. It would be very helpful if you list your security set-up - all of it; firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware(s), etc.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 10-28-08 - Wannabe - Spice Girls

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 10-28-2008 06:20 PM

owlcat Guest

Hi NaiveMelody,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have checked the things you suggested: Third Party Browser Extensions are enabled. Both of the add-ons--FF Toolbar and FF Toolbar Registrar--are enabled.

Zone Alarm shows five of the ForceField entries you mentioned as &quot;?&quot; which means that ZA should ask me if any of these programs ever do anything it considers suspicious. It has never asked. I could not find an entry for ZAFFDiag, but I don't think that means anything other than ZAFFDiag has never run. Should it?

I run ZoneAlarm security suite for firewall, AV, Anti-Spyware (and anti-spam). I have the firewall set to ask me about everything (but to make recommendations). I also run Spybot (including TeaTimer which protects the registry) and I have installed the google toolbar and have the popup blocker enabled. IE popup blocker and phishing filter are also enabled. I have shutdown TeaTimer and disabled the popup blockers and phishing filter, but IE still refuses to access the internet. (Actually, it doesn't even try. As soon as I enter a URL, it tells me it can't display the webpage. There is zero timelag.)

I also run a bazillion other programs that have their background tasks. I don't see why any of these would interfere with Internet Explorer, but in the interests of full disclosure: I try to keep System Mechanic and PC Tool-Kit from running their background tasks, but occasionally they sneak back in. I also have ClipMate, RoboForm, PGP Whole Disk Encryption, Skype, Pidgen, TOR (a firefox add-in), AutoHotKey, X1, etc.

I have been through the Internet Options in IE; Security has been reset to defaults, Privacy has been reset to defaults; none has made any difference.

I don't know what else to try.

naivemelody Guest

Question - when you first installed FF, did you install with Firefox or IE7?<hr>When I list 6
    files and you only show 5; it does indicate some sort of incomplete/ corrupted FF
    install - possible conflicts with some of your many other software.<hr>Right now you say FF works with your Firefox, but not with IE7 and FF.<hr>My suggestions: re-install FF using IE7 with most of your other (potentially conflicting) software &quot;temporarily&quot; shut-off or lowered.1 - un-install your current FF - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...;message.id=85
    - remember to write down your license.

2 - you can &quot;temporarily&quot; shut down TOR for this install, yes? and most other software, pop-up blockers, shut-down Google toolbar, Roboform,
    you can put ZA's Program Control on 'medium',
    ZA's Privacy Control temporaily shut-off 'main',
    shut-down Spybot, and any other software programs that can be easily shut-down and is not essential. By reducing possible conflicts, increases your success for proper install.
    3 - open ZA program control while you actually re-install FF, watch as 6 x FF files are created &gt; they should be given six: Three green bars -super trust level // Access - two green checks // Server -trust &gt;green check, internet &gt; &quot;
    ? &quot; and follow this &gt;
    http://forum.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/...message.id=651
    <hr>Ready to go for it?<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 10-29-08 - Jump - Van Halen

owlcat Guest

Thank you for the prompt response and the suggestions.

I tried your suggestion regarding re-installing FF. Not only did it NOT fix the IE problem, but during the process of uninstalling and re-installing FF, FireFox stopped working. It would start up; show me a window frame with a black center and then stay that way (not responding) while process explorer reported that it was using 40-50 % of the CPU. This happened both with and without FF running. I then completely uninstalled FF and tried to re-install FireFox. It did not fix the FireFox problem so I had to completely uninstall (with Revo Uninstaller) FireFox and then re-install it. It is working now, but I lost ALL of my customizations and bookmarks as well as several hours of time.

At this point, I am going to turn to ZoneLabs; they can either help me fix FF or refund my money. I don't have the time to mess with it. (I still like ZoneLabs products but I recognize that PCs are extremely complex at there are some configurations that just won't work. Unfortunately, in my case it is ForceField that doesn't work.)

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate your efforts.

owlcat Guest

I found the solution to my problem about IE7 not accessing the internet under ForceField:

Among the &quot;bazillion&quot; add-ons in IE7, I discovered two pair of add-ons--which sound similar based on their names:

Create Mobile Favorite
    Create Mobile Favorite...

Java(tm) Plug-in SSV Helper
    Java(tm) Plug-in 2 SSV Helper

If both of either pair are enabled, IE can't access the Internet under FF. If only one is each pair is enabled, then IE works just fine under FF.

I wasn't sure which, if either, was the best one to use, I wound up with &quot;Create Mobile Favorite...&quot; and &quot;Java(tm) Plug-in 2 SSV Helper&quot;

Although ZoneAlarm's technical support did not find this problem for me; they were quite helpful and one of attempted solutions didn't work but did trigger the idea of trying this. I am grateful for their help.

naivemelody Guest

One oddity/ side effect
    of FF- is plug-ins and add-on's for the browser. Please right click FF tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; read thru User Guide &gt; 'troubleshooting' &gt; install browser plug-in or PDF reader, active X, etc.
    &gt; If you ever have to upgrade or install a new add-on, plug-in or toolbar - you will need to shut off/ &quot;exist
    FF&quot; and use the regular browser to upgrade/ install these add-ons. [ also for adding new IE 'Favorites' bookmarks ]
    - ( when you make changes/ install new or upgrade items &quot; in a FF browser web page&quot; = it isn't really occuring on your &quot;real pc.&quot; With FF there is the 'virtual browser' and then there is the &quot;real browser, real pc&quot; - we need to distinquish the differences and be aware)<hr>&gt; http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.j...2&amp;tstart=0
    - read this<hr>

karelvda Guest

Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem. After looking, trial (and a lot of errors), reformatting (yes,...) I finely found out that it is caused bu Iolo System Mechanic.Everything went really well, I monitored every change step by step, and only after installing System Mechanic Profesionnal (with AV, Firewall and SystemGuard), the problem of IE7 not accessing the internet is back again after al my afforts (it is blocked in some way, I just can't figure out how). So many hours spent only to get to know the culprit is Iolo.As Iolo and Zonelaram have some common interests and Zonealarm seems to use Iolo Technology I can't figure out why they can't help this problem. Are they aware of this??I cannot contat them myself, only by phone (payed and I am living in Belgium).I will post bthe same thing at the Iolo website, maybe they are contactable about this issue.
    It's not much for an answer but at least you now know where the problem is situated.
    Kind regards,Karel.

Default Re: IOLO System Mechanics conflict with ForceField

Hi!IOLO can be contacted using their support web form page, here:http://www.iolo.com/customercare/technicalsupport.aspxCheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 12-25-2008 04:42 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

karelvda Guest

Default Re: IOLO System Mechanics conflict with ForceField

Hi Fax,
    I did contact them already on that page. I also found the page to send it to ZA.... So, for both of them (Iolo/checkpoint) I am
    waiting what their answer will be.... VERRRRRRY curious about with what they will come up. Or they don't have a clue and then they will acuse the other or come up with some nonsense. Or they really have a talk and then they come with a substantial solution. Two big ones that should be easy to come up with a reasonable
    answer you'd think, ...but let us just wait. I'll post it back in this forum, ok?On the other hand, I think ZAISS has also something more important to do in this matter. When I try the beta version (ZA Extreme Security = ZAISS with ZAFF integrated) then everything is fine????And like I already mentioned, Iolo and Zonealarm are partners (don't know how far and how close) but they could discuss these things among them to make it all work more like they say on their sites where they try to sell it to you. If all software vendors would cooperate a bit more, all these issues of software not working or in conflict with something else... would be long gone.
    Sigh....

Thread Information