Thread: Trying to understand various aspects of Forcefield so I can use it effectively.

lalittle Guest

Default Trying to understand various aspects of Forcefield so I can use it effectively.

I'm trying out ZAX with Forcefield.
    I have some questions about Forcefield that neither
    the online help
    in ZAX nor the
    down-loadable Forcefiled "user guide" answered for me.
    I was hoping I could get some clarification so I could utilize these features more effectively.
    1)
    What's the difference between turning Forcefield off and opening an "unprotected browser"?
    The help documents seem to imply that these
    are not the same, but I can't figure out what the differences are.
    2)

What specific protections
    do you lose when
    NOT using "virtualization"?
    Before I read up on this, I "thought" that the entire point of Forcefield WAS "virtualization" aspect, but I discovered that virtualization was not even on by default when installing ZAX.
    I'm unclear how Forcefield is still effective when virtualization is off.
    3)
    When I use an unprotected browser, do any of the FF settings matter -- i.e. does it make ANY difference if Virtualization is checked or not in the FF settings?
    4)
    I noticed that temp internet
    files appear to no longer be stored in the normal folder that you can view
    via the IExplorer "properties" page (Settings > View Files.)
    Is this due to virtualization being on?
    Where are the files now stored, and how do you access them?
    (I ask because I sometimes need to dig a picture or
    other file
    out of the temp files folder, but now I don't know where to find these files.)
    5)
    Are cookies still stored in the normal temp internet files location when virtualization is on?
    Based on the "last access" info it "looks" like they are, but I'm not clear how this all works.
    I had some other questions, but I'll just leave it at these for now.
    Thanks for any feedback on this,
    Larry

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Message Edited by lalittle on 02-26-2009 04:24 AM

Default Re: Trying to understand various aspects of Forcefield so I can use it effectively.

Hi!1. None2. Encryption of temporary files and IE activity isolated from the rest of the system. With virtualization off you have spyware (keylogging, screengrab jammming), phishing protection andsite trust checking.3. No4. yes, temp folder are isolated and encrypted. You cannot access them. To remove temp folder you need to clean FF virtual data.5. Cookies are not affected by FF except when in Private BroswerCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lalittle Guest

Default Re: Trying to understand various aspects of Forcefield so I can use it effectively.

Thanks fax -- that helped clear several things up for me.
    A few followup questions:
    1) How does FF relate to the Internet Explorer "Privacy" setting?
    It sounds like I
    could theoretically use a FF Private Browser with the IE Privacy setting all the way down on "Accept all Cookies" and still get the same level of security that I'd get with a "normal" browser and the IE security all the way to "High."
    Is this correct?
    What, if any, are the differences between these two situations?
    2)
    If I'm in a FF Private Browser, does the IE Privacy setting matter?
    3)
    Which is more "secure":
    A "Private Browser" with virtualization OFF, or a non-Private browser with virt. ON?
    Thanks again -- I'll get all this eventually,
    Larry

Hi!1. No relation2. No3. Think the latter. Ask ZA supportCheers,Fax

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    1. No relation
    <hr></blockquote>Thanks for the response.
    When I said &quot;how do they relate&quot; in reference to FF vs the IE &quot;Privacy&quot; setting, what I was trying to figure our was how they &quot;compare&quot;
    and/or &quot;interact.&quot;
    It sounds like they both do similar things, so I'm a bit unclear what one does vs the other -- i.e. what aspects &quot;overlap&quot; and what aspects are unique to one or the other.
    The goal is to understand how to set the IE &quot;Privacy&quot; setting given how I have FF set up at any given time, or in what situations it even matters.
    In other words, I'm not sure if the IE Privacy setting is now completely obsolete or not, or in what cases it should be raised/lowered now that FF is doing similar things.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

Hi!IE privacy settings related to cookies. ForceField is something else.Common sense should help you to distinguish cookies control in IE and ForceField features.Please read what is written in the IE panel 'privacy settings' then read what is written in the advanced settings of FF. You will have an overview of the features of bothThere is little link between the two and the question is quite out of focus or largely irrelevant.Cheers,Fax

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    IE privacy settings related to cookies. ForceField is something else.Common sense should help you to distinguish cookies control in IE and ForceField features.<hr></blockquote>Common sense tells me that IE's &quot;Privacy&quot; settings and FF's protection against
    is &quot;privacy invasions&quot;
    (from the FF documentation) are going to have some crossover, which is at the heart of my questions.

Above you said that
    if you are in a FF &quot;Private Browser,&quot; the IE &quot;Privacy&quot; setting does not matter, which means that in this situation, any protection you get from the IE Privacy setting is already covered by FF (the IE setting is redundant in this case.)
    This is what I'm referring to when I talk about &quot;relation&quot; or &quot;interaction&quot; -- the fact that
    some of what IE's security does can also be done by FF.

I'm just trying to fully grasp this so I can understand exactly WHEN I need to think about the IE
    &quot;Privacy&quot; setting, and when
    it doesn't matter.
    I've read over the documentation (both IE and FF), and this is actually
    what led to my questions.

<blockquote><hr>There is little link between the two and the question is quite out of focus or largely irrelevant.
    <hr></blockquote>But there IS &quot;some&quot; degree of crossover in features -- I'm just trying to understand this.
    I realize that to somebody that fully understands these concepts
    my questions may seem &quot;out of focus&quot; or &quot;irrelevant,&quot; but please have patience with me and understand that as strange as my questions may sound, they
    seem like valid questions from my point of view.
    I appreciate your time,
    Larry

Thread Information