Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox - best practices for updating, and installing/updating Add-ons

sensory Guest

Default Firefox - best practices for updating, and installing/updating Add-ons

I know ForceField tends to cause a lot of issues with regards to installing/updating Add-ons, and updating Firefox itself.

Stupidly, I updated Firefox 3.0.6 to 3.0.7 internally within Firefox's Help > Check for Updates feature, and needless to say my user profile got corrupted so I had to revert to an earlier backup. I'm sure the best way to update Firefox would be to close all of its instances so ForceField can back off, and upgrade Firefox using its own full installer. I've never had issues upgrading directly, although I know some prefer to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

I have a little trouble with Add-ons however, and it's probably linked with virtualization. I remember trying to update an Add-on internally ('Find Updates'), and no matter how many times I restarted Firefox the Add-on wouldn't update and kept giving the message of having to restart Firefox. I cleared the virtual data and started Firefox again, and it updated.

Clearly virtualization causes a few problems, and I'm wondering what's the best practice for its use.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Message Edited by Sensory on 03-09-2009 06:39 AM

Default Re: Firefox - best practices for updating, and installing/updating Add-ons

Hi!very easy, when you have to update .... turn OFF virtualization and update firefox and/or your add-on.Once finished you can open your normal browser.Have a look at the manual, it contains a lot of useful examples:http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...dUserGuide.pdf Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-21-2009 12:25 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sensory Guest

Default Re: Firefox - best practices for updating, and installing/updating Add-ons

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    very easy, when you have to update .... open an unprotected browser (close the others) and update firefox and/or your add-on.
    Once finished you can open your normal browser.

Have a look at the manual, it contains a lot of useful examples:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...dUserGuide.pdf

Cheers,
    Fax
    <hr></blockquote>
    OK that's simple enough, although I had trouble when my computer had a forced restart (power cut). Starting Firefox again lead to a few troubles such as bookmarks not working (Ctrl+D doing nothing), and browsing history not saving at all. I tried clearing virtual data and restarting Firefox, but this didn't seem to work. To fix the problem I closed Firefox, cleared virual data, disabled ForceField, reverted to an earlier profile backup, updated all my Add-ons etc. and then re-enabled ForceField with virtualization.

I'm certain virtualization is causing a few conflicts at times, and I'm not sure exactly how clearing virtual data works. At the moment I'm afraid to ever clear my virtual data in case it happens to clear all my changes such as new bookmarks, browsing history, custom settings etc.

Hi!have you readthe manual? It will help you to get a better picture on how ZAFF works.Cheers,Fax

sensory Guest

I read the entire manual, and in theory I know how it's supposed to work, and in theory I shouldn't be having the problems I've been having; however, due to having had problems, I'm concerned with how to deal with Firefox and Forcefield when the system crashes whilst both are actively running.

Hi!then you should know that bookmarks are not removed unless you are using a "private browser", what will be cleaned is the add-on that you have installed while in the protected mode.When you see that the browser is unstable then its good you try to clean the virtual data. Cheers,FAx

sensory Guest

It would appear that clearing virtual data also clears settings for addons. I use NoScript/Flashblock/RefControl, and any modifications to whitelists aren't saved after clearing virtual data. Default features of Firefox are saved, such as bookmarks, cookies and browsing history, but settings to third-party addons are not. That is rather troublesome for me, and precisely why I'd rather not clear virtual data at all. Is there no way to &quot;save&quot; the virtual data? If malicious files are automatically deleted there wouldn't be a security risk.

Message Edited by Sensory on 03-20-2009 02:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Sensory wrote:
    It would appear that clearing virtual data also clears settings for addons. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>yes, this is exactly what I have wrote in my message.
    That is rather troublesome for me, and precisely why I'd rather not clear virtual data at all. Is there no way to "save" the virtual data? If malicious files are automatically deleted there wouldn't be a security risk.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To save settings you need tobe on a unprotected session.There is no way to safe virtual data. Virtual data is encrypted and isolated.
    Iuse NoScript/Flashblock/RefControl, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Why using all of the above? ForceField is designed to replace these tools, you don't have to worry of blocking scripts or flashes. They will be isolated from the rest of the system.Otherwise better to turn OFF virtualization, it has no use if you already block all active content.Cheers,Fax

sensory Guest

Well I knew about the problems with the installation of addons, but not about their settings.

RefControl is more of a privacy feature, which unfortunately doesn't exist in ZAE, unless ForceField can prevent referrers from being sent. I prefer to have finer control over which sites can utilise JavaScript and other embedded content, and ForceField is more of a fail-safe in case trusted sites get hacked. The Privacy controls in ZASS are far too troublesome as they cause problems with many sites, which is why I prefer Firefox extensions in addition to ForceField. If the settings for the default features of Firefox can be saved (like bookmarks, cookies and browsing history), are settings for addons (not their installation) that much of a problem? I'd hope in future versions this could be changed, though I don't know how difficult it would be to implement.

Message Edited by Sensory on 03-21-2009 10:43 AM

Hi!1.) Add--onand browser updates installed in the sandbox are removed if you remove the sandbox.2.) Bookmarks and cookies are not retained inprivate browserFeatures? Like / Don't like? You need to report to ZA directlyThey are not monitoring this board... we are all users here.Did you actually read the manual. Its short, easy and highlight most of the questions you have posed here.Look to page 34 onwards... What is cleared when empty the sandbox? See page 29Btw, I have to correct myself. You have to turn OFF ZAFF virtualization to install add-on and updates. This is clearly highlighted in the manual.Want more control on your web surfing running all those plugin? Well, I am afraid you need to spend more time totune them accordingly then ... Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-21-2009 12:31 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information