Thread: Bug with opening IE browser before "clear virtual data" is finished.

lalittle Guest

Default Bug with opening IE browser before "clear virtual data" is finished.

I just noticed that when I clear the virtual data, if I open an IE
    browser before FF is finished with the "clearing" operation, the browser opens without the FF bar and without the "glow."
    In other words, it "appears" that an unprotected browser is opened instead of a protected one, which seems like a potentially serious issue if you were to incorrectly assume that the browser was protected.
    In other words, there
    appears to be a bug during a "clear virtual data" operation where either 1) a newly opened
    browser window is not being protected by FF, or 2)
    the graphical FF indicators are not correctly displaying.

Is there any way to tell if
    an IE browser is still protected even if the graphical indications do not indicate that it is, or should I just assume that this is an unprotected browser?
    Since it can take quite
    a while for the clear operation to finish, there is a good chance that people will open a browser in this situation.
    On a 3Gig Core 2 Duo the clear operation can take over a minute after only
    a few days of browsing.
    Once the clear operation is finished (indicated by the hard drive access light stopping), a new browser window correctly opens with FF bar and glow.
    Thanks,
    Larry

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Bug with opening IE browser before "clear virtual data" is finished.

Hi!Doesn't sound like a bug to me but rather normal. When cleaning thevirtual data you simply cannot open a protected browser (otherwise you will not be able to clean the virtual data) and if you do so it will come up without glow and toolbar.Theabsence of glow and toolbar is a clear indication of the absence of FF that unless you are visually impaired you should notice. Blocking the user to open a browser seems also not good way out. May be warning the user that cache cleaning needs time? but some users will complaint that is too instrusive... So, for me its good like it is. If it is not for you, just report to ZA. They may improve it in future versions...Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-10-2009 11:42 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: Bug with opening IE browser before "clear virtual data" is finished.

Larry, When you click " Clear virtual data " button an hour glass appears.This indicates that its clearing the data.When it disappears it has clear all data.Click OK and your ready to go.

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!Doesn't sound like a bug to me but rather normal. When cleaning the
    virtual data you simply cannot open a protected browser (otherwise you will not be able to clean the virtual data) and if you do so it will come up without glow and toolbar.
    The
    absence of glow and toolbar is a clear indication of the absence of FF that unless you are visually impaired you should notice.
    Blocking the user to open a browser seems also not good way out. May be warning the user that cache cleaning needs time? but some users will complaint that is too instrusive...
    So, for me its good like it is.If it is not for you, just report to ZA. They may improve it in future versions...
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-10-2009 11:42 AM
    <hr></blockquote>
    Good points, although I don't think that the average person will really pay attention enough to notice that the FF bar and glow are not there.
    I DO tend to notice these things, and even though I did notice this, it definitely wasn't &quot;super obvious&quot; to me.
    I can guarantee that nobody else in my family would EVER have noticed the difference.
    It just seems like an important issue like security shouldn't even have the potential for a loophole like this.
    I would tend to lean toward the &quot;warning box&quot; idea, where it could simply ask &quot;do you want to open an unprotected browser, or wait for the cache to finish clearing?&quot;
    For the more advanced users, it could offer a &quot;Do not show this warning in the future&quot; box that you could check.
    Thanks for the feedback,
    Larry

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>Charles_B wrote:
    Larry, When you click &quot; Clear virtual data &quot; button an hour glass appears.This indicates that its clearing the data.When it disappears it has clear all data.Click OK and your ready to go.
    <hr></blockquote>
    I'm not seeing this.
    I don't have any indication that anything is happening unless I look at the hard drive access light.
    Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>lalittle wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE>I would tend to lean toward the "warning box" idea, where it could simply ask "do you want to open an unprotected browser, or wait for the cache to finish clearing?" For the more advanced users, it could offer a "Do not show this warning in the future" box that you could check.</BLOCKQUOTE>Larry
    <HR>Uuuhm, would not like developers wasting the time on this But may be is just me ... Just report to ZA, there is little use to post it here.Cheers,Fax</BLOCKQUOTE>

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information